Your favorite Top line Speaker Manufacturer
Apr 11, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #46 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by lator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I choose Acapella. I recently acquired one of their budget line speakers and could not be happier, well maybe with these babies in the picture.

excalibv4.jpg

Definitely not for gynophobes!
eek.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #48 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... I don't get it. Why is B&W so popular? Do they just have good marketing?

I think it's partly the name developed over the last few decades, but they also sound pretty good. They're not my cup of tea, but I can understand why so many like them.

I remember hearing the 801s in the early 1980s, they were exceptional for the time.

Dave

Apr 12, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #49 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... I don't get it. Why is B&W so popular? Do they just have good marketing?

Actually, with their dealer requirements, B&W speakers are not widely available or available at particularly good prices. They have, however, made excellent speakers with a particualrly pleasing sound signature for decades and they have done constant R&D to discover and incorporate new technology into advancing their speaker line.

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #50 of 71
Where's Revel? No poll for quality speakers can be conducted without Revel.

Cheers.

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #51 of 71
I'm partial to BBC design philosophy, so I'd have to say Harbeth (would love to try the new 40.1!). I can't believe that B&W gets the nod over Wilsons, etc. in this thread! The 802Ds sound great, but there's no way they sound better than other speakers mentioned here. I even preferred ProAc Response speakers to them which were much cheaper, not to mention the Harbeth Super HL5s, which I ended up purchasing. I also love the Devore Silverback Refs. In general, I prefer more natural-sounding, musical speakers over the hi-fish ones.

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #52 of 71
I just saw that the poll didn't include companies like Wilson, etc... if I had to vote, I'd go Kef or Quad, but the common man in me casts a vote to Vandersteen, for their amazing 2CEII Signatures, a total bargain at $2K. They totally spanked some speakers that cost 2-3 times that when I went auditioning.

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #55 of 71
B&W for me, been an avid Tannoy (surprised tis isn't on the list) lover before owing the 607, 611 and P60, but personally i've heard nothing better than B&W in their respective price range..

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #56 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdivider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm partial to BBC design philosophy, so I'd have to say Harbeth (would love to try the new 40.1!). I can't believe that B&W gets the nod over Wilsons, etc. in this thread! The 802Ds sound great, but there's no way they sound better than other speakers mentioned here. I even preferred ProAc Response speakers to them which were much cheaper, not to mention the Harbeth Super HL5s, which I ended up purchasing. I also love the Devore Silverback Refs. In general, I prefer more natural-sounding, musical speakers over the hi-fish ones.

did you, for your main system, spec everything from the 6moon recommendation of the 'musical system'? cuz you even got the PS1..
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #57 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdivider /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not surprised. ProAc Response line has an ultra-high-end sound without the ridiculous headline-grabbing, blatant attention-seeking, multi-hundred thousand pricetags that some other manufacturers like to attach to their "statement" products.
rolleyes.gif
frown.gif
I would take a pair of ProAc D80 over the (slightly more expensive) B&W 802D.

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #59 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcstep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vienna Acoustics

Vienna Acoustics all around! Beethovens won Stereophile Recommended Components Class A 4th year in a row. Strauss in the front, Maestro in the center and Beethovens for the surrounds.

Speakersetup.jpg

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #60 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vienna Acoustics all around! Beethovens won Stereophile Recommended Components Class A 4th year in a row. Strauss in the front, Maestro in the center and Beethovens for the surrounds.

I think you mean Class B is the rating for the Beethoven; just look at the waterfall graph and you will know why.

Having heard Beethoven on a number of occasions each over 2hrs long all by myself I can say that the spkr is very musical but is not without obvious flaws in human voice and piano. But in the end the spkr is musical unlike some of the other manufacturers listed
wink.gif
oh and it has some problem removing itself from the musical landscape
wink.gif

on a site note: I hope you have a cover for you TV, because having that reflective surface makes a audible difference (personal experience) for the worse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back