Your favorite 'singer/songwriter' PAIRS in rock?
Jun 29, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Charlie and Craig Reid.

ah yes, the other reid brothers. scottish as well, and the jesus-theme just as pronounced. i wonder what kind of music the four of them would concoct together. blissful gospel-noise anthems, i guess.

any more sibling songwriters?

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sure... technically: Gener & Deaner Ween!
biggrin.gif

Do the Wilburys count? I mean, how can you argue with Orbison, Petty, Lynn, Dylan & Harrison? You can't I tells ya!

Also (off the brothers path):

Ian MacKaye & Guy Picciotto (Fugazi)

Hmmm, others...

Jun 30, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #18 of 23
Ron and Russel Mael of Sparks
and the Bowie/Eno collaboration with the "Berlin trilogy"

I'm glad to see Ween and Procol Harum mentioned, the latter is unfortunately usually overlooked.

Not sure about the particulars of the Clash, but I was under the impression that most everything was penned by Strummer/Jones.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

ah yes, the other reid brothers. scottish as well, and the jesus-theme just as pronounced. i wonder what kind of music the four of them would concoct together. blissful gospel-noise anthems, i guess.

The Finn brothers immediately come to mind.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Squeeze is coming on Aug 3-4 to NYC. I am very close to pulling the trigger to see them at the Beacon. Hmm, should I?

You should have already done it! I have to settle on Glen Tilbrook and the Fluffers (though his acoustic version of Take Me I'm Yours is great).

The weird thing is that they were on bands reunited some time ago and said no...

Jul 1, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #22 of 23
I'm not sure how much of a contribution Garfunkel made to his team as a writer, and I'm not convinced that Gilmour & Waters wrote much together except on songs where Mason & Wright also got songwriting credits. Lennon & Macartney took a joint writing credit but rarely worked together: they are incomparably less a team than John/Taupin.

I couldn't be the first to mention Page/Plant, could I?

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

i did, then deleted them before sending, just to lure you in ('cause robert & smith doesn't count, does it
biggrin.gif
)

actually i believe marr wrote most of the tunes, morrissey the lyrics - and that seemed like cheating to me.

haha... Robert and Smith, i suppose not.

the blueprint of The Smiths' Morrissey (lyrics) and Marr (music) songwriting partnerships are pretty common, like the Suede Anderson/Butler team and many others i can't think of right now.

umm... other teams; how about Hutter/Schneider from Kraftwerk? i know sometimes they have an outside collaborator from Emil Shult and even Karl Bartos contributed on a few songs on later albums, but the Kraftwerk nucleus is Hutter/Schneider.

oh, on a similar note... how about Humpreys/McCluskey from Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark? not descrediting McCluskey's later work in OMD when Humphreys left, or even the mid-80's work when it was credited to the band, but the best stuff was always Humpreys/McCluskey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back