Your favorite guitar solos?
Jan 20, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #47 of 95
Quote:
Best guitar solo? Neil Young  - Cinnamon Girl!

And then we have to take a little trip Down By The River to meet Cortez The Killer, don't we? 
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #48 of 95
Quote:

And then we have to take a little trip Down By The River to meet Cortez The Killer, don't we? 
wink.gif

Paging Warren Haynes...Warren Haynes...white courtesy phone, please
popcorn.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #50 of 95
Here's another favorite of mine, by Sonny Sharrock. I wouldn't recommend skipping straight to the solo, but if you really want to, it starts at about 5:45. Sharrock might be my favorite jazz guitarist--honestly, I could have picked nearly anything he plays in and called it my favorite, but this one will do. If you want one of his more laid-back solos (which are beautiful), find the track 'Who Does She Hope to Be?' Also, I don't think Dinosaur Jr. and J. Mascis's guitar chops have been mentioned yet, so I'm throwing in some D Jr. as a bonus. ^^ I'm not sure that this is really the best guitar playing Mascis has ever laid down, but whenever I need a Mascis fix this is usually one of the first tracks I turn to. Multiple solos in this track, so you're just going to have to listen to the whole thing if you want to hear them!

Edit: You may be more familiar with Sonny Sharrock's work than you realize--if you've ever watched Space Ghost Coast to Coast, his shredding is what you hear during the opening theme. :-D

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #51 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are 1000's of guitarists that are revered for their so-called virtuosity, who have never approached the level of Maggot Brain.

It's always dangerous to mention any guitarist's name in the same sentence as Hendrix, but in this case, it's entirely deserving. 

Agreed, Eddie Hazel never got the recognition he deserved.  The whole album is inspired.  The guitar lick that opens the very next song was sampled by the Sleigh Bells in their hit song, which gave this album a little more exposure.

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #52 of 95
All time favourite guitar solo is the last solo in Pink Floyd's "Comfortable Numb."

One of my favourite current guitar solos that come to mind right now is the solo section at the end of Periphery's "Luck as a Costant."

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #58 of 95
Jerry Garcia's guitar licks in the "Help On the Way/Slipknot" sequence from the Grateful Dead albumn "Blues for Allah".

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #60 of 95
Quote:
this is the best Guitar solo i have heard 

LOL @ the judge around 2:20: "It didn't flow as well as the original..." 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back