Your Fantasy Portable Player: Describe It!
Jan 2, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #31 of 43
- 128 GB SSD
- 50 hr battery life
- USB out, so internal DAC can be defeated to use with a hi-fi DAC at home
- built-in amp, dual-mono design (well, this IS a fantasy)
- FLAC and ALAC support, true gapless playback
- brings you the paper & makes you coffee every morning

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #32 of 43
- gapless playback
- UMS
- expandable flash memory
- titanium case
- sapphire crystal display
- powered by one or two AA batteries
- two headphone jacks: 3.5mm and 6.3mm
- tactile buttons which allow control of the basic functions without looking at the player

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #33 of 43
60 hours battery + user replaceable
flash and expandable
line out
usb host
tactile buttons + touch
high res screen 800x450
bluetooth support
open source firmware with the hardware to play crazy formats native without conversion

Jan 3, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanbomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

7. >32GB Flash Memory - I can buy a 128GB thumbdrive, 64GB SD Card, but not a PDP with the same capacity. Ridiculous.

8. Test-tone Generator - 20Hz - 20Khz, and digital pitch pipe. Godsend for musicians. And since it's got a microphone, why not incorporate it for tuning?

7 If it has SD expansion slot then there you are w/64GB.

8 This sounds like it could be an add on for Rockbox. It already has a metronome.

Mostly a combination of features I have now, but they are spread over several players:

From Neuros: high capacity, Line-in record , built-in FM transmit for the car, hard-button bookmarking, great SQ

From Palm/Pockettunes - draggable progress bar. The whole PDA thing. text entry for searching the collection.

From Rockbox - all that stuff!

From Rio - EZ change standard batteries
From my old Radio Shack portable CD: digital out

A dockport that hooks up to reasonable rez video glasses/phones

Jan 3, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #35 of 43
mimetic poly-alloy body.
built in nuclear plant power supply.
a fiber-wafer neural net processor with 8 cube-shaped cores, running parallel in sets of 2, bonded on a hardened molecular substrate
Pre installed with all current and future codecs.
Neural net linked to Skynet server for instant downloading of any music, video, firmware updates or other superfluous data and so there is no need for any storage memory.
Acts as a personal bodyguard when needed.

Jan 3, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #36 of 43
I wish for.

1)LOD
2)Big screen
3)Nice design(i love the 5.5g ipods front design)
4)High power battery to last long
5)Different Card expansion capabilities all in 1 eg
SD,microsd,minisd,pro duo,m2
all in 1 DAP so that the memory used can be endless =D
6)FLAC support
7)open source firmware for easy theme editing
Thats all i think

Jan 3, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #37 of 43
Pretty much everything that's been mentioned, but also I'd like some company to figure out how to make an "adaptive EQ" that does not degrade sound quality. In other words, an EQ that you don't have to adjust that automatically optimizes the listening experience based on the genre, frequencies, etc. of the song you're listening to. This option would, of course, be able to both be turned off or used alongside a user-adjustable EQ for you picky people. But basically, this EQ would compensate for the soundstage and realism the original recording may lack. So, maybe the soundstage enhancement would be a constant thing like it is on the Fuze and Clip, but as for realism, it would just sort of "smooth out" the sound and optimize the player's sound signature based on what's in the recording.

Anyone get what I'm talking about? A player that automatically makes your music sound as close to real as possible (still varies with headphones, amp, etc. used) by scanning it and "adapting"?

Jan 3, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #39 of 43
Basically a thinner Zune with a 250gb+ SSD and an EQ. I'm not picky
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #41 of 43
good look and sexy, like way better than the ipod

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #42 of 43
Most of my requests would be additions to the current iPhone.

1) Screen that covers the entire faceplate
2) longer battery life
3) ability to bypass internal amp/output digital stream
4) USB HOST (probably the most important to me), with two USB ports, in this case we wouldn't need an expansion slot as you could fill those jump drives with stuff and just plug them in and go, if there were two USB Hosts you could move info from one drive to another without a computer, actually, what I had envisioned was some sort of adapter that would plug in to the proprietary port and have two USB hosts to keep from adding bulk/weight to the basic package
5) larger internal memory/user replaceable memory
6) user replaceable battery
7) weather sealed chassis

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacobParker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New SD cards go upto 2TB (Yes, 2,000 GB) and we're stuck with 16GB.

That's a theoretical limit of the SDxc architecture. There are no 2TB SD cards in existence, and probably won't be for several years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back