Your choise of card for gaming and music.
Mar 13, 2010 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Hordsak

New Head-Fier
I'm going to make a poll to see what people are using for music and gaming.

I'm currently using an X-fi, but want to upgrade to either an Asus Xonar or Auzen of some type. Now, gaming performance is important, but I've recently found that I like gaming with my Creative console set to 2.0/2.1 speakers without CMSS enabled with my Audio Technica ATH-AD700's. I can hear things better, and the sound stage is alot bigger than in headphone mode with CMSS.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 19
I game quite a bit, used to play CEVO main source. Ultrasone Pro 750, with Asus STX -no extra digital processing, is by far the best sound for gaming. Crystal clear, 3D and accurate. Lets me prefire like no other
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 19
Onboard, cause I'd rather use my money on other parts like graphics, or perhaps nicer keyboard/mouse.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcw122 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Onboard, cause I'd rather use my money on other parts like graphics, or perhaps nicer keyboard/mouse.

Or you can have the best of both worlds =) I'm hard core when it comes to computers, and I don't spare a dime on any parts hehe. If you use onboard, why are you even browsing this Computer Audio forum? Do you have digital out that you take advantage of? Just curious.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Did I actually just read someone on head-fi say "Onboard, cause I'd rather use my money on other parts like graphics, or perhaps nicer keyboard/mouse."?

Wow... I am totally stunned.

Not to mention a good soundcard will last many builds... 1 Graphics card won't, or you aren't much of a gamer.

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #6 of 19
That is rather strange thing to say on head-fi forums, it's hard not to spend money on audio stuff after doing some reading here.

Xonar essence line, I find myself less and less using the gaming stuff, if any at all now.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 19
Honestly, I simply participated because I was really bored, and I enjoy doing polls on forums, haha. The main forum page showed this thread, and I saw it was a poll.

But seriously, the next computer I build (which won't be til I'm out of college) will most likely include a soundcard in the $50-150 range depending on my overall price range, as well as what kind of soundcard would do well for headphones. It would be for both music and gaming. I'll also add that I would not use an X-fi unless the problems I have read about so often (cards failing) have since been resolved.

Sokolov, I also didn't think about usability for future builds. That's an interesting point, considering most components can't normally transfer to new builds, but I know that soundcards would be a great thing to transfer between builds. I'll keep that in mind.

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 19
Onboard or external DAC. Simple as that...

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 19
X-Fi>Stello DA100 dac>Travagan's Red>Stax Lambda's.

The fiber optic out on the X-Fi card connected to a dac and headphone amp is the way to go for a gaming setup. The dac & amp don't have to be the best to have a kick ass system but do get a card with the optical out. When it comes to gaming I'll go out on a limb and say that the X-Fi has it wrapped up. If you look at the specs on other cards they have a Creative chip in there somewhere.

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Honestly, I simply participated because I was really bored, and I enjoy doing polls on forums, haha. The main forum page showed this thread, and I saw it was a poll.

But seriously, the next computer I build (which won't be til I'm out of college) will most likely include a soundcard in the $50-150 range depending on my overall price range, as well as what kind of soundcard would do well for headphones. It would be for both music and gaming. I'll also add that I would not use an X-fi unless the problems I have read about so often (cards failing) have since been resolved.

Sokolov, I also didn't think about usability for future builds. That's an interesting point, considering most components can't normally transfer to new builds, but I know that soundcards would be a great thing to transfer between builds. I'll keep that in mind.

Yeah dropping 150$ + on a soundcard can be hard and almost seem downright crazy depending on what you are used to spending, but when you think that you can now get them in PCIE (can be used in any slot 1x to 16x), or PCI which is still widely used and the technology doesn't move very fast, and most of it is updated through drivers, the value becomes much more of an investment... a rarity in computers.

An external dac will obviously sound better, but one thing I wonder about for gaming is latency. Such it won't be much, but if you are using sound as an edge, a few milli seconds might cost a frag
wink.gif
. Plus, you can always use coax out to an external dac at a later point in time, and if I am not mistaken, it will still beat dirty on board. Plus, for Bang/Buck/gaming its really hard to beat the STX or ST.

Trust me, when you go from ~80 SNR to 124 you never look back
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 19
If you already have a card that gives you the features you want, Just grab an external DAC/can amplifer and connect it up through coax or optical. This will give you all the fetaures you have now but still give you the boost in sound quality.
You did say you like the way the card sounds over headphones...

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #15 of 19
A few years ago I was a very competitive gamer, which means the DSP mattered a lot to me, as it seems I would often hear an enemy before I see them. Much of the advantage I had was due to the fact that most people skimp on the headphones and sound card. As I've never used anything but the Creative X-Fi series, I can't compare them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back