Your assistance please
Aug 5, 2002 at 6:08 PM Post #16 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
And neither would I. But being sadistic is not a crime, nor should it be. And, regardless of what many people have posted, most animal murderers do not grow up to be psycho killers. Now, maybe if you throw them in jail for five years, where they're anally raped every night, are surrounded by people who do kill people ... maybe you'll get a pyscho killer out of your investment.

kerelybonto

Okay, that's why I said "evaluate" the guy. Get him a headshrink, see what is wrong with him and help the poor idiot. If the has phantasies about killing people or a less extreme problem, okay, let him go. BUT KEEP an eye on him.

Aug 5, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #18 of 76
There are really only a few punishments available for those who break the law. We could basically send this guy to jail (or give him probation) or fine him. Perhaps I'm missing something -- suggestions?

But I'm confused, are we disagreeing about whether BBQing a cat should be illegal or about what punishment this guy should receive?

Aug 5, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #19 of 76
I don't think we're really debating anything -- we're just throwing around opinions on the whole thing.

I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this kitty barbeque, though -- Liberty, MO, is in the KC metro area ... I guess it's because I don't pay attention to local news. (Though I'm still surprised The Star didn't make this front-page news.)

kerelybonto

Aug 5, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #20 of 76
I don't think he should go to jail... I think he should be sent over this way for a "visit" with me and my animal-loving friends. If being "cruel" or "sadistic" isn't inherently wrong, I'm sure no one will mind if we return the favor?

What makes this SO wrong is that jerks like this only abuse the helpless. If I was standing in front of him, I guarantee he wouldn't try to grill me alive. Likewise, if a, um, "bigger" cat (read: lion, tigur, puma, etc.) was in front of him, he wouldn't try to grill it alive. The guy is a complete loser whose pathetic existence is only justified by his ability to torture and maim things that are weaker than him. It's just like child abuse -- people who are losers in life abuse children and animals because these victims can't fight back.

P.S. Don't get the wrong idea. I'm one of the least violent people you'll ever meet. Being an active basketball player, I have opportunities to get into fights all the time
wink.gif
but I've never done it. However, I'll quickly and gladly make exceptions for people who abuse helpless kids, women, or animals.

Aug 5, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #21 of 76
I won't discuss my position on the matter here further than saying I wouldn't shed a tear for the guy if he was sentenced to five years in prison, nor would it bother me in the least (of course, this is first assuming that I understand what happened correctly).

Aug 5, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #22 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I don't think he should go to jail... I think he should be sent over this way for a "visit" with me and my animal-loving friends. If being "cruel" or "sadistic" isn't inherently wrong, I'm sure no one will mind if we return the favor?

What makes this SO wrong is that jerks like this only abuse the helpless. If I was standing in front of him, I guarantee he wouldn't try to grill me alive. Likewise, if a, um, "bigger" cat (read: lion, tigur, puma, etc.) was in front of him, he wouldn't try to grill it alive. The guy is a complete loser whose pathetic existence is only justified by his ability to torture and maim things that are weaker than him. It's just like child abuse -- people who are losers in life abuse children and animals because these victims can't fight back.

P.S. Don't get the wrong idea. I'm one of the least violent people you'll ever meet. Being an active basketball player, I have opportunities to get into fights all the time
wink.gif
but I've never done it. However, I'll quickly and gladly make exceptions for people who abuse helpless kids, women, or animals.

The Macster pretty much sumarized what I was trying to convey. Sorry if I got carried away and offended anyone.

Aug 5, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #23 of 76
The hardest thing to believe is that there were so many people standing around, not only letting it happen, but encouraging him. I didn't realize there was a such a market for this sort of thing. Am I to expect that there are a dozen people in my apartment complex who wouldn't object to have a kitten barbecued?!

<Running to go hide cats>

Aug 5, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #24 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by acs236
The hardest thing to believe is that there were so many people standing around, not only letting it happen, but encouraging him. I didn't realize there was a such a market for this sort of thing.

my explanation is simple:

*cough* REDNECKS *cough*

Quote:

Charles C. Benoit was arrested in Liberty, Missouri..

sounds like the sticks to me. if i lived there i'd probably be grilling cats too, or beating my wife/sister (same person)..

Aug 5, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #27 of 76
I shouldn't tell you this, but one of my buds stuck an M-80 in a baby robin's mouth. I would've said to him to stop, but if I did he would've called me a ***** or something...something that I am ashamed of.

oops, thread crap

Aug 5, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #28 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
This guy is sick. I have heard that people who do this sort of thing also have a high probability of going on to become mass murderers. Then there were the SICKO onlookers. They're no better if they were cheering him on.

I'd like to see this statistic if you can recall where you gathered it.

This is probably the same kind of "logic" that suggests that marijuana leads to crack use and masturbation leads to serial rape. (The logical equivalent is: "100% of all murderers began life as an infant, therefore all infants grow up to be murderers!" A cause/effect relationship cannot logically be reversed.)

Aug 5, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #29 of 76
Just to state my contrary opinion on the subject...

I would not call what this guy (and his associates) did a good thing. In fact, I largely prefer animals to humans in general. For this reason, I have no problem with MacDef or anyone else wanting to kick this guys ass or whatever.

What I do have a problem with is reactionary laws and the pretense of animal protective services. We eat animals. We kill them, we stuff them, we make pillows out of them. Society recently has decided that some of these things must be done in a "humane" way. I don't really have a problem with the sentiment, but I do have a problem with the LAW. The government is overloaded with protecting human life as it is--and doing a damned poor job of it, I might add. Let's please not clutter the system further by trying to prosecute people who torture kittens. What's "wrong" and what's illegal need not always coincide and believe me, this sentiment will go further than most of us would wish.

These type of things tend to snowball. Already we've done idiotic things like placing stupid limits on hunting in areas where overpopulation has lead to disease problems. Sure, spare the poor mama deer because Bambi needs a mother--but remember that you're whiping out the entire forest when disease sets in because the animal no longer has a predator.

I thought the Simpsons had a funny and appropriate episode that addressed this in which Homer almost squished a bug when an EPA helicoptor showed up and said something along the lines of, "Allowing that insect to die is a violation of the Freedom Reversal Act of 1994."

Oh well. I realize I'm probably a minority on this issue (which seems typical, albeit unplanned) but sometimes I think an alternate view is a healthy thing to read.

Aug 5, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #30 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
....What's "wrong" and what's illegal need not always coincide....

While I agree that what's wrong and what's illegal need not always coincide, I'd say that the method in which this man allegedly tortured this kitten should be one of those wrong things that's illegal. I'm not arguing the sentence upon conviction here, just the point of legal/illegal in this case. Most would consider littering wrong. In most cases it's illegal. Should it not be? If one was to simply walk to up a stranger and spit in his face, that would be wrong -- I'm guessing that that's probably illegal in most parts too. Should it not be? Going over the speed limit is illegal. If I'm traveling 100 mph down my neighborhood street, most would probably consider it wrong. Should it not be illegal?

My only point here is that if you're suggesting that, specifically, this alleged act of torturing the kitten (I say alleged because I'm not sure if he was yet convicted, nor have I reviewed any of the evidence beyond the brief news coverage and what was mentioned in this thread) shouldn't be illegal, then I disagree. Whether or not the man simply gets a ticket or a five year prison sentence is not what I'm arguing here -- just whether or not it should be legal or illegal. And I'd hope that what he's accused of doing would be illegal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back