Your Album of the Month
Aug 12, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #272 of 321

David Byrne & St. Vincent - Love This Giant

I've been listening to this record since last week and it just keeps getting better and better. Though when the album was released I wasn't really a huge fan of it but since then it has grown and I'd highly recommend this album.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #273 of 321
My first contribution to this thread and I hope to be a regular poster :)

Firstly, thanks to MattTCG for posting that Hiromi album! Easily my "discovery of the month" so far!

Mojo Juju
My first contribution is a local Sydney (Aus) artist who I've seen play a number of times, ranging from a big-band setup in a large venue to just a small intimate accoustic set with her on guitar and her brother on the drums, and she's be incredible each and every time.
She has such emotional and passionate energy on stage when she plays, she lives and breathes every note, and I think that's translated well into her studio album (which I have on Vinyl)
For those who know C.W.Stoneking, Mojo Juju is in a similar vein. A rythm & blues artist born a generation too late.

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #274 of 321
  My first contribution to this thread and I hope to be a regular poster :)

Firstly, thanks to MattTCG for posting that Hiromi album! Easily my "discovery of the month" so far!

Mojo Juju
My first contribution is a local Sydney (Aus) artist who I've seen play a number of times, ranging from a big-band setup in a large venue to just a small intimate accoustic set with her on guitar and her brother on the drums, and she's be incredible each and every time.
She has such emotional and passionate energy on stage when she plays, she lives and breathes every note, and I think that's translated well into her studio album (which I have on Vinyl)
For those who know C.W.Stoneking, Mojo Juju is in a similar vein. A rythm & blues artist born a generation too late.

Welcome :)

And I'm listening to Mojo Juju right now and...I likey!! Might have to buy this one. 

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #275 of 321

RWBY Volume 1 soundtrack by Jeff Williams and Casey Lee Williams.
I loved it a long time before watching the show itself (which I absolutely cherish as well).
Maybe it won't quality as audiophile quality but I simply love it and the vocals... Just amazing :)

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #276 of 321

Tyler the Creator- Wolf
Tyler makes what could be called alternative rap but really I think what he makes is his own genre. The beats are definitely unlike other rap albums but are very good. There are some deep tracks like Answer and Colossus. Answer is about Tyler's dad who abandoned him and his mom. He calls him a faggot but if his father answered the phone he would talk to him. Tyler treats his fans poorly and does not enjoy his fame as much as other rappers do and Colossus proves it. He complains how people walk up to him at Six Flags and want autographs but he doesn't want to talk to them.

Some of my favorite tracks are Rusty, Domo 23, Trashwang and Tamale. Some of these songs do feature other rappers but are uncredited as most of them are part of Tyler's rap group Odd Future. Waka Flame appears in Trashwang.

Sep 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #277 of 321

Peter Gabriel: Passion

I can't stop listening to this. I think I have a problem.

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #279 of 321

Sun City Girls: 330,003 Crossdressers from Beyond the Rig Veda (1996)

An old favorite of mine, and one that's been getting a lot of attention from me recently. Avant-garde folk/experimental rock with a distinct Southeast Asian flavor, 2 discs. The first disc is the more 'rockish' of the two, but can also be pretty difficult to get into until you get used to the vocals. It's a very noisy affair, very abrasive and pretty sloppy sounding, but if you just sort of let yourself go it can reveal some really stunningly beautiful moments, especially as it winds towards the conclusion. Some of the tracks are even downright poppy. The second disc is where the real magic is, for me. The band piles on the drone and improv here, and make wonderful use of the violin throughout. The centerpiece is the 34 minute track 'Ghost Ghat Trespass/Sussmeier,' which layers Indian-infused drone, violin virtuosity, and guitar distortion beautifully for a solid 15 minutes before just exploding into demented, fuzzy chaos that devolves into a plinky mess before building up again. There's not a lot of music out there that sounds like this: the noisier experiments of Nico and Tim Buckley in their prime are probably the closest approximations to what unfolds here. 

This is a total masterpiece! I spent a few hours digging around, and I managed to hit this jackpot. Digital FLAC download (820kbps/44.1mHz) for £8.99 (iTunes wanted $38usd for 256kbps AAC!!)
http://boomkat.com/downloads/561744-sun-city-girls-330-003-crossdressers-from-beyond-the-rig-veda

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #280 of 321

This is a total masterpiece! I spent a few hours digging around, and I managed to hit this jackpot. Digital FLAC download (820kbps/44.1mHz) for £8.99 (iTunes wanted $38usd for 256kbps AAC!!)
http://boomkat.com/downloads/561744-sun-city-girls-330-003-crossdressers-from-beyond-the-rig-veda

You can find some other amazing stuff from the Girls on Boomkat too--it's a great site for buying hard-to-find music, and is always my second stop after Bandcamp. Also, glad to see someone else who loves this album! I've been slowly working it on the GF, who is getting progressively less annoyed with it each time we listen, and even will sometimes request individual tracks! Woo!

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #281 of 321
Yeah this is the first I've heard of Boomkat. I'll definitely be using it in the future though!
I put 3 or 4 friends onto this record, with a warning that they need to push through the first couple of tracks before it'll open up to them. So far only one has made it through the entire album and she wrote me later saying how fantastic is was! :)

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #285 of 321

Silly Wizard: So Many Partings
Reliably turns me into a weeping babe, every time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back