Your Advice for my next DAP (SQ based)
Sep 5, 2009 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Bandeira

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys and girls...

Recently had my portable audio rig stolen(Rockboxed 5.5G iPOD + Headsix + ESW9) and I`ll have to buy some stuff again. But now some ideas sprang to mind.

Why go iPOD again, knowing they they don`t have best sq around there?
I wonder what you guys have to say about that.
My important points on a DAP are:

=> hability to play FLAC (thus a higher capacity one would be much appreciated)
=> SQ using a portable amp (will decide on Pimeta, Mini3, 3move or something like those)
size and weight are not important, as use them on my office and home desk

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 20
iMODs have the best SQ around here
wink.gif

diyMod your 5.5g Ipod, stick a big HD in it (240GB is proven to work) and enjoy your rig at a different level all over again without changing anything else. Search for imod and diymod on headfi.

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 20
Yeah... thing is though, I don`t have my 5.5g ipod anymore (stolen as I said).

I already searched a lot on diymod but dont feel very confortable with the chance that I would ruin an ipod...

Sep 6, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 20
Amp3,Hifi-man,Sansa Clip,Sony X1000,zune.

Sep 6, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 20
But htey don`t support flac, do they?

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 20
The Cowon S9 and D2/D2+ support FLAC, and for the most part don't need an amp w/HP up to around 80ohms.

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 20
thing is that its only 16gb max... at most 48gb with max SDHC capacity...

Will be needing amp, as I use most, my personal favourite, the DT150....

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandeira /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thing is that its only 16gb max... at most 48gb with max SDHC capacity...

Will be needing amp, as I use most, my personal favourite, the DT150....

Yup, but you get great SQ as a side effect (since you require FLAC). You could always get another 5.5G and rockbox it again, since it's better for the capacity issue. And, since the DT150 are 250ohms, you need an amp regardless.

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 20
Yeah... I think the ipod keeps unbeaten on the capacity department...

thing is that, living in Brazil, is quite hard to find other brands of good daps around for trying and testing...
I wanted to get a cowon, that if i didn`t like I could sell it locally... but this is also a problem, since other brands than apple are very unknown here...so makes it also hard to sell used...

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 20
Wish I could give you more help, but there's nothing I can do - sorry.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #12 of 20
iRiver supports flac natively. I'd go iRiver optical out to iBasso D10. Probably cheapest way back to quality portable audio.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 20
hey... but thanks for the help... I sometimes think 48gb would be enough.. I just don`t want to have to transfer music from my computer to my dap as much as my musical mood swings...
how long should battery time be on a D2+?
any clues apart from official stuff?

cheers!

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #14 of 20
AMP3 And HIFI MAN are worth to consideration, these tow DAP represent the trend of next generation DAP. which applying the All in one Designing conception. That means DAP/ AMP/ DAC/ hybrid. ( hifi man), and DAP/AMP/HIFI FM radio/ hifi earphone/ combo ( amp3).

The other DAPs + AMP also have a good sound quality, but it is too bulky to bundled them together with a cable.

By the way, Both AMP3 and Hifiman are among the best sound qulity DAP shortlist, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back