Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Sep 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #6,001 of 6,671
The first two were from 1-2 weeks ago but...

VERY happy with this haul!

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #6,002 of 6,671
^ That Kleiber recording of the 5th is quite excellent. Polarizing, but in my case I like it a lot. Have you heard his recording of the 7th that's frequently paired with that performance?

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #6,003 of 6,671

Dream Theater - Octavarium
Pelican - Ephemeral
Pelican - Deny the Absolute / The Truce 7”
David Bowie - Heathen
Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
Panopticon - Kentucky
Panopticon - Vestiges
John Coltrane - Heavyweight Champion (12 LP Box)
Mastodon - Blood Music (45 rpm)
Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

Oh...and this guy...

Got him awhile back though... :wink:

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #6,004 of 6,671

Clockwise from top left:

Vivaldi: L'Estro Armonico; 4 Concertos / Neville Marriner / Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields
Bach: Sonatas & Partitas for Solo Violin / Arthur Grumiaux
Bach: 6 Brandenburg Concertos; Oboe Concertos / Douglas Boyd / Chamber Orchestra of Europe
Vivaldi: The Four Seasons; Three Concertos for Violin / London Philharmonic Orchestra / Israel Philharmonic Orchestra / Itzhak Perlman
Bach: The Brandenburg Concertos Nos. 4, 5 & 6 / Neville Marriner / ASMF / Henryk Szeryng et al.
Bach: The Brandenburg Concertos Nos. 1, 2 & 3 / Neville Marriner / ASMF / Henryk Szeryng et al.

The first one is my second version of the L'Estro Armonico (Op. 3), and while it's nice enough, I prefer the recording I posted earlier by I Musici. The ASMF version takes a few liberties with the score and has organ, which I don't think fits. The Sonatas & Partitas is the famous Grumiaux set from the early 1960s, one selection of which, the Gavotte en rondeau from Partita No. 3, is actually on the two Golden Records aboard the Voyager spacecraft. This collection also includes the Sonatas for Violin and Harpsichord, BWV 1017-1018, which are lovely renditions. The COE and ASMF Brandenburg Concertos are different enough that they complement one another; the former lively and upfront, the latter a bit more traditional and laid back. The ASMF has better solo work (especially Szerying), but I like the tempo and overall playing on the COE a little better. Finally, the Perlman Four Seasons was part of an ongoing effort to find a recording of this work that suits me. Perlman's is nice, but they do weird things with the dynamics and pacing sometimes, and I'm coming to the conclusion that Perlman is kind of overrated, or else I just don't like his kind of flighty, effervescent sound as much as an Isaac Stern or Henryk Szerying.

Anyway, here's another thing I got:

This was a mistake. It was supposed to be the ASMF Brandenburg Concertos Nos. 4, 5 & 6 from above, but the disc inside the case was what you see above. Needless to say I was a little miffed, but I got a refund and was allowed to keep this, which ended up being a nice little collection. It contains the infamous Paillard performance of the Pachelbel Canon, which is actually the first widely known recording of the work ever made, back in 1968. It was this recording that captured so many people's imaginations and which made the Canon one of the most popular pieces of classical music ever written. I actually already had this version in another collection, though I had no idea of its pedigree until I looked up this particular disc to see what I had. The remainder of the disc is pleasant enough but forgettable. But hey--it was free!

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #6,005 of 6,671
@ MT

What a haul!  You have big listening ahead.  On Kuzma?

@ Argyris

Very nice and very smooth!

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #6,006 of 6,671
@ MT

What a haul!  You have big listening ahead.  On Kuzma?

@ Argyris

Very nice and very smooth!

Not on the Kuzma yet, and probably not til it gets here. Plenty of new CDs to spin in the meantime.

Pushing 3 months of waiting on the kuzma though. Starting to get frustrating.

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #6,007 of 6,671

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #6,008 of 6,671
So one of my first vinyl purchases. I found this one used, but in near mint condition. The previous owner must of really took care of it as the casing is just gorgeous along with the record itself. Do mind the glare.

Kraftwerk - Tour de France [LP, 45 rpm pressing]

Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone [CD, 2-disc deluxe-version]

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #6,011 of 6,671
So far up to nearly completing my Gorillaz collection (minus G-sides, singles compilation, dvd's, etc..)

In the past month up to now i've came to this list:

Demon Days - Gorillaz
Gorillaz - Gorillaz
Plastic Beach - Gorillaz
D-Sides - Gorillaz
The Fall - Gorillaz

Other purchases instead of all gorillaz?

Outrun - Kavinsky (I really like this album, with the whole 80's action car vibe i just love)
Wolfmother - Wolfmother

as well as some of my Justice albums:
Cross - Justice
Audio, Video, Disco - Justice.

I was actually kind of disappointed slightly by the lack of artwork included in Plastic beach and The Fall
And that they're in paper cases and not in plastic jewel cases..
But i do like the artwork with Plastic Beach despite the lack of it.

My collection so far.. quite small to me in my opinion!

Future wants:
The English Riviera - Metronomy
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
...Like Clockwork - QOTSA
Tour De France - Kraftwerk
Pearls & Embarrasments 2010 - Siriusmo
Enthusiast - Siriusmo
Mosaik - Siriusmo

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #6,012 of 6,671

Carpe Diem - Aqua Timez

I collect a lot of Japanese music, so I though it was a miracle that I found this for cheap on Amazon US. But this turned out to be a Korean pressing (bootleg?). I might look for a Japanese pressing of this later.

Now, Then, & Forever - Earth, Wind & Fire (Best Buy Exclusive Version)

First time I bought an album on release day. Really excited to listen to the band that hooked me onto music in the first place!

I hate the slipcase packaging though, no matter how fancy it appears. My CD is already collecting dust and scratches before I even get a chance to listen. 
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #6,013 of 6,671
Here are some recent acquisitions.  All CD, the one vinyl I got this week was a duplicate of one I already had. LOL

Sorry, metalheads and EDM fans, all conventional jazz

Out of line, but here's a new DVD I'm crazy about.  Kickstarter project that is so well done.  No distribution yet but film festivals are being entered.  Good sound, BTW.

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #6,014 of 6,671
A new purchase and a homecoming of sorts ! I've just recovered a bunch of LPs I'd left in storage (ie the folks' home), for want of a turntable.

Wha-ha-ha, Getahaite Konakucha, Absord Music Japan, 2003, recorded 1981.

Wha-ha-ha is Akira Sakata's "pop band", though it's actually the strangest mix of dub, free jazz, prog rock (Henry Cow style) and music theater I've ever heard. The song below is NOT representative of what they're really up to.

As for the LPs

Jim O'Rourke, Halfway to a Threeway, Drag City, 1999

Note that the Youtube poster got the title wrong (most people do) : the tune is called "Not sport, marital art"

David Grubbs, The Coxcomb / Aux Noctambules, Rectangle Records, Picture Disc, 1998

Sonic Youth & Jim O'Rourke, Invito al Cielo, SYR, 1997, clear vinyl

Sonic Youth with William Winant, Jim O'rourke, Takehisa Kosugi, Christian Wolff, Coco Haley Gordon Moore, Christian Marclay, Wharton Tiers, Goodbye 20th Century, SYR, 1999, 2LPs.

Sonic Youth and friends play music by various 20th century composers (John Cage, Cornelius Cardew, Takehisa Kosugi, George Maciunas, Pauline Oliveros, Yoko Ono, Steve Reich, Nicolas Slonimsky, James Tenney and Christian Wolff. Pauline Oliveros' piece was written specifically for them.

The Recyclers (with Katerine, Ignatus, Sasha Andrès, Irène Jacob and Olivier Glissant), Morceaux choisis, 1997.

Amusingly, this is a sort of opposite to SY's Goodbye 20th Century : here, three musicians well versed in free jazz and contemporary improvisation (Benoît Delbecq, Noël Akchoté and Steve Argüelles) play songs by mainstream French songwriters (George Moustaki, Brigitte Fontaine, Segre Gainsbourg, Léo Ferré, Jacques Brel, Nino Ferrer, to name most of them). Great stuff !

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #6,015 of 6,671

Users who are viewing this thread

Back