Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Apr 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #5,701 of 6,671
Quote:
Also, you're the only other person I've seen post that they picked this up. I'm disappointed in the internet right now.

<The Dave Brubeck Trio - Distinctive Rhythm Instrumentals>

Is this good?  I passed it up, not knowing exactly what's on it, but they possibly still have it.  There are a few other Brubeck releases that are high up my list of things that I want to find a great copy of.

I think I just have RSD release fatigue, this year there was very little that appealed to me, and what did appeal I either couldn't get (Elliott Smith) or was overpriced (Malkmus live Ege Bamyasi cover LP).  I kind of feared the Brubeck one would just be odds and ends or something, so many of the RSD releases just seem a bit overhyped.

Although I'm against fighting crowds and lining up and stuff, I did do a big mid-afternoon walk to hit four of the best stores here.  Didn't get any RSD stuff, but there was a 10% off sale at one of the stores so that was the only excuse I needed.  All of these are LP's:

Lô Borges   S/T
João Gilberto   O Amor, o Sorriso e a Flor
Grizzly Bear   Shields
Bob Dylan   The Basement Tapes  (MFSL Edition)
Burial   Truant/Rough Sleeper

Even though I didn't get any actual RSD releases, I did get stuff on sale, and there were tons of people in all the stores I went to, so I am in favour of RSD.  The best part about it, though, was that I was going to catch William Tyler play a show last night (which I was hugely looking forward to), and found out Friday that he was playing an in-store show earlier in the day.  So I got to see him twice, which was amazing.  Bee, the store was Sonic Boom, which I'm sure is the store you went to, if you were there at 5 PM you would have caught him. 

Anyway, I also bought a 7" and a live CD at the show later on.  And I bought a CD copy of the album I already had on LP just to send to my sister or something.  I basically just wanted to buy some stuff from the guy because he's driving all over North America by himself like a maniac with seemingly minimal support for such a talented musician.  Go see him if you're into guitar!  It cost $8.

April 21 Happy Dog, Cleveland OH
April 22 Lager House, Detroit MI
April 23 The Pyramid Scheme, Grand Rapids MI
April 24 Trumpet Blossom Cafe , Iowa City IA
April 25 First Ave (!), Minneapolis MN
April 26 Hideout, (w/ Brokeback, Rebecca Gates) Chicago IL
April 27 Do317 Lounge, Indianapolis IN
***OLD COUNTRY TOUR WITH HISS GOLDEN MESSENGER**
May 3 Brighton, UK – the Palmeira
May 4 Edinburgh, UK – Red Lecture Hall
May 5 Manchester, UK – The New Oxford (sounds from the other city festival)
May 6 Cork, Ireland – Crane Lane Theatre
May 7 Belfast, UK – McHughs
May 8 Dublin, Ireland – Whelan’s
May 9 Cardiff, UK – 10ft tall
May 10 Falmouth, UK – Beerfwolf
May 11 Totnes UK The Barrel House
May 12 Winchester, UK – The Railway
May 13 London, UK – Cafe Oto

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #5,702 of 6,671
Considering I only paid $10 for the Brubeck I'd say it's worth it on name alone.

Here's some samples from the full 24 track release.
http://www.allmusic.com/album/24-classic-original-recordings-distinctive-rhythm-instrumentals-mw0000308751

The tracks on the RSD release are:
Sweet Georgia Brown
That Old Black Magic
September Song
Spring Is Here
'S Wonderful
Tea For Two
Undecided

Reminds me I need to get the first Brubeck RSD release from eBay. It's only like...$20.

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #5,703 of 6,671
sm@,

I got that Bob Dylan The Basement Tapes (MoFi) too, it's a great record! It's my favourite of Dylan's stuff.

Ya, I was at Sonic Boom. Lined up at 9:15ish and got some of what I wanted, but there were too many people in that small RSD corner, and it was impossible to look through bins.... so I paid for the few albums I got and left. Then, I went to the Sonic Boom sister store in Kennsington that opens at 11:00. Got there before doors opened as well and snagged that Phish album, which really made my day (especially considering they only got 2 copies in).

After all the rush, and after grabbing some brunch, I went back to the Bloor location for some music, and yes, I saw William Tyler. He was very good - real chill. What other stores did you hit up? Soundscapes and Kops are my other two regular shops, but I didn't have the energy to be on the move all day. Was a fun day though!

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #5,704 of 6,671
Thanks MT, at least I know what it is now. 

Bee, cool that you saw him, I figured you were long gone since you lined up early.  Yesterday I went to, in order:

Kops (Ridiculously crowded, didn't stay very long at all)
Rotate This (My favourite store, had TONS of RSD stuff, a lot of it seemed a bit expensive, though)
Soundscapes (10% off everything, not tons of RSD stuff left)
Sonic Boom (didn't even look at the RSD stuff, but did get that Dylan, and the Burial EP)

I was basically just killing time between doing what I had to do early in the day, and meeting some friends later on at Sonic Boom for the in-store. 

Good to know that that Dylan record is a favourite.  Weirdly (since I have loads of Dylan's other albums, and love The Band), I haven't actually even heard it before.  I was always waiting for a good edition to come out, didn't feel like spending on the double CD that was the only one around forever.  I guess I have a good edition now, I didn't even know MFSL was doing these.  I also just saw that Blood on the Tracks has also just been released by MFSL, I'll definitely have to try to track that one down as well. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #5,705 of 6,671
Quote:

Is this good?  I passed it up, not knowing exactly what's on it, but they possibly still have it.  There are a few other Brubeck releases that are high up my list of things that I want to find a great copy of.

If they still have it I would say go for it.
My good friend and former roommate of mine set out for the stores a bit late (around noon) and ended up missing out on a number of titles, one title being The Dave Brubeck Trio album.

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #5,706 of 6,671
I might've been the only one at my shop that got it, honestly. Not too many Jazz guys here I guess.

Quote:

If they still have it I would say go for it.
My good friend and former roommate of mine set out for the stores a bit late (around noon) and ended up missing out on a number of titles, one title being The Dave Brubeck Trio album.

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #5,707 of 6,671
Got some post- Record Store Day treasure....

...had dinner across the street from another shop, so I peeked my head in beforehand, and saw they had one copy left of the Sly Stone 10". The album cover is pretty groovy; think I might stick it on my wall.

Apr 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #5,712 of 6,671

Billy Bragg - Tooth & Nail
Iwrotehaikusaboutcannibalisminyouryearbook - Discography
Punch - S/T
Rush - Fly By Night
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #5,714 of 6,671
HA! Someone else that got Liquid Tension Experiment. Good.

I passed on the Miles stuff because it will be available at a later date, but I definitely want it.

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #5,715 of 6,671
Quote:
HA! Someone else that got Liquid Tension Experiment. Good.

I passed on the Miles stuff because it will be available at a later date, but I definitely want it.

Yes, I was out of town and luckily my local record store still had some items that I wanted:) The Liquid Tension Experiment is one cool piece of vinyl. Looking forward to listening to the Miles records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back