Your #1 Favorite Album
Nov 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #136 of 205
cd-cover.jpg

What a slap 7 years ago!! and still today...
M83 - Before The Dawn Heals Us 

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #137 of 205
Quote:
I've listened to pretty much every album already posted.
I want to share these because this thread has excellent taste and these albums significantly changed my life.

That is an amazing goal. I wish there were more people like you who actually take the time to listen to music they aren't familiar with or don't normally like. The only two I recognize are Radiohead an Maudlin of the Well, and those are both excellent albums. Have you listened to MotW's Part the Second yet? It sounds incredible on good headphones.

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #139 of 205
Great picks Ethix. Grats on listening to most every recommendation that comes your way too--I try to do the same (at the moment my Listen To notepad document I track stuff on is over 1000 lines long.... x.x).

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #140 of 205
Quote:
That is an amazing goal. I wish there were more people like you who actually take the time to listen to music they aren't familiar with or don't normally like. The only two I recognize are Radiohead an Maudlin of the Well, and those are both excellent albums. Have you listened to MotW's Part the Second yet? It sounds incredible on good headphones.

Thanks, man. It never really was a "goal" for me though, I've just loved music to death from a pretty young age and have always kept an open mind to whatever I confront. Since music is pretty much one of the best fields to carry that mindset in, it helped tremendously for my appreciation of it. It has helped me with my ultimate goal though, becoming a recognized musician with close friends so I wouldn't trade it for anything else. And yeah, I have! The first time I heard it it completely blew me away.

maudlin of the Well is one of my favorite bands and Toby Driver is ranked among my favorite composers still alive right now. I just purchased a pair of Sennheiser IE80s with comply tips (they arrive tomorrow) and I plan to buy some Toxic cables and a strong amp for them sometime down the line. It's going to be a huge shift in quality since my best before this purchase were the CX-300 II. I'll definitely be revisiting all of his stuff almost daily and all my other favorites.

@wuwhere That's pretty interesting. I loved the first track so I have to thank you for recommending it.

@Metalsonata Awesome to hear. Yeah, it's pretty rare to find someone who listens to literally anything that comes their way and gives it an honest chance but when you do it's just simply the best. It's really how all people should listen to music, in my opinion - just for true enjoyment and finding what they undoubtedly love.. But as time progresses it become harder to convince people otherwise :frowning2:. If you ever want any recommendations feel free to ask, and I would love to hear some of yours if you're willing to share!

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #141 of 205
Quote:
I've listened to pretty much every album already posted.
I want to share these because this thread has excellent taste and these albums significantly changed my life.

Very nice list.  The first time I heard Perfect From Now On I was reduced to a puddle.  The next 99 times as well.  I couldn't listen enough to Crooked Rain Crooked Rain and Loveless.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #142 of 205
Oh, I'm always *too* eager to share. Just hit me up when you've got a particular genre you wanna dig into and maybe I'll have some stuff to pass on, and I'll do the same. ^^ Well, once I've trimmed my list of stuff to listen to a bit more lol.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #144 of 205
cd-cover.jpg

What a slap 7 years ago!! and still today...
M83 - Before The Dawn Heals Us 

I just picked this up yesterday but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Can't wait! :)

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #146 of 205
^ I hear you, it's so hard to pick one.  I used to live across the street from a methadone clinic and sure enough, my entire CD collection was stolen from my house.  This was the first album that I went out and re-bought that very afternoon, so it must be my favorite:

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #147 of 205
Quote:

peoples favorite albums, or albums that changed their life are important and any music fan should listen to these albums.  you might discover something, you might not...but by listening you will learn a little something about that anonymous internet personality, and people in general.
i've listened to albums that i don't really like, then when finding out that they are someones favorite album i've tried again and got something different out of it than before, especially when trying to consider at what place in life someone might be when they are finding a certain music speaks to them.
it's a fun exercise and adds another emotional level to music that you might otherwise not consider! 

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #150 of 205

A Trick of the Tail - Genesis, 1976

Not at all a tough decision--my favorite album, by my favorite band, containing my favorite song, "Mad Man Moon." Not actually my favorite piece of music, incidentally, but definitely in the top three, the other two being a movement and a section of a movement from two respective classical pieces. If you think that Genesis == 80s Phil Collins, this album will blow your mind. Get the 1994 remaster; the 2007 one is an atrocious brickwalled abomination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back