Your “wow” headphones
Nov 23, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #196 of 212
I have had a few memorable wow moments with headphones, but probably the one that stands out the most, the wow moment I remember the most, was when I listened to a jazz track (can't remember the artist or the album, but I think it was a master studio quality download that I burned to a CD) with Sennheiser HD700, that I had connected to the analogue output of a 1993 Linn LK140 power amp via a manual analogue audio port switch that had a 3.55mm headphone output. My source player was a humble Marantz CD5005. What I done was I connected the Marantz to the LK140 using a Y cable from the headphone output of the Marantz CD5005 to the analogue input on the LK140. I was blown away by the realism, it was like the HD700 was on steroids. When I used the HD700 with other cheaper integrated amps I had at the time, the HD700 underwhelmed me and actually I hated it, but when used with this LK140 power amp, the soundstage opened up to the point of sounding like a completely different headphone altogether. When used with this LK140 power amp, the HD700 soundstage shifted from sounding like sound was coming from inside my head, to sounding like it was all around me - 360 degrees. It was the first time I was literally left speechless by a headphone. I remember laughing to myself and shaking my head in disbelief. A moment I remember vividly to this day. However - this miraculous sound of the HD700 only happened when I used it with that Linn amp and Marantz CD player combo, in more down to earth, practical situations when I had to use the HD700 with cheaper integrated amps and headphone amps I had at the time, it sounded awful to me. And that's what ultimately led me to part with the HD700. IMO it's unacceptable to have to spend just as much - if not more - money as the retail price of the HD700 (around $600 U.S.D in 2013) on a suitable amp for it. What Sennheiser are asking you to do with headphones like the HD700 and HD800, if you want to hear them at their absolute best, is to spend just as much on amps - if not even more money - as the headphone itself cost you. And this I think is a disgrace. It's ultimately going to cost you a few thousand dollars to hear what these headphones can do. Shocking.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #197 of 212
Actually I "wowed" several times :gs1000smile:
1st: A&K SE200 + Meze Empyrean (with leather pads)
2nd: swapped the leather pads with the alcantara ones
3rd: Cayin N6iiTi (R2R)+ Meze Empyrean (with alcantara pads)

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #199 of 212
Most recently Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2 on Bottlehead Crack.

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #200 of 212
Wow #1: Schiit Gungnir 1 vs my TT combo:

VPI TNT Jr
Clearaudio SLA straight tracker
Koestsu Rosewood Sig
Pass ONO

Except for a few selections out of my huge vinyl collection Gungnir won 75 to 15. No move into headphones w/o that result.

Voce w/ HFM Jr
Susvara w Rag 1 & Pass INT.
007 w BH
HE-6 w Rag 1 & Bryston
LCD-4 on Rag 2 & Violectric v281
Senn HD-600 w BHCs w $ mods

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #201 of 212
My newest Wow! moment came a few weeks ago:
The LSA HP-2's from Underwood HiFi.
I spent the first week thinking that they lacked bass. The truth was that the bass was just as precise and detailed as the mids were. I was waiting for the boom-boom and wasn't hearing the smooth bass guitars and the individual drum strikes.

These are/were a true Wow moment. I figure that this must be like buying your first pair of High End headphones. :smile:

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #203 of 212
The Heddphone

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #205 of 212
First the Heddphone, now the Sendy Peacock. Still deeply in love with the latter, while the Heddphone is a bit more of a rational but still very appreciative relationship at this point.

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #206 of 212
Meze Liric with Pendant SE ( vintage TubeSet ) :beerchug:

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #207 of 212
iBasso SR2 never fails to blow me away.

Every. Single. Time. I. Put. It. On. My. Head. Just "Wow"!

Doesn't break the bank either, which is always a plus

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #208 of 212
Hats off to the IMR Opus Mia this week, they have a visceral, clean and amazing, bass and treble (without smearing the mids). Very very fun iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back