Your “wow” headphones
Jun 7, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #181 of 212
My current HD650 is maybe the headphone that wows me the most. Coming from the Susvara the first 5 minutes are meh but then it sucks you into the music in a magical way. Even more impressive when you consider its price and age.
This is so true! I don't know how many times, after listening to a headphone in the $1500.00-$2000.00 range for a while, I'm shocked by how enjoyable the HD600 and HD650 are in comparison. They just never fail.

Jun 21, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #182 of 212
Glad I've found a set of ears that agrees!

Absolutely love my pair of Edition 8's. I agree with every trait you listed and in addition this is all in a closed back headphone from 10 years ago?!!

They are amazing. Every time I listen, I'm smiling. Not sure how they did it, but they are fantastic.

Plus they also require nothing in the name of equipment to power - they sound perfect plugged straight into my laptop.

Yes they have a relatively low impedance and good sensitivity, no special amplification is absolutely required. Still, I especially enjoy them plugged into the Marantz HD-DAC1, which has the ability to paint an intimate audio landscape with these cans across a very wide spectrum without sounding too hot...and can deliver power in the low end where the Edition 8s seem to soak up a ton of current.

Speaking of which, I recently plugged them into the Hidisz S8 dongle and they were fairly bright, probably owing to the lack of low end muscle from the amp and a weak roll off filter on the high end.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #183 of 212
For me, the first 'wow moment' came from a Grado RS1i paired with a MAD Ear tube amp. Next one happened later with a Grado PS1000. Something about that Grado sound that is just... right.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #184 of 212
The Ananda is my current wow headphone even though I have more technically competent HPs. The fact that they can be plugged into anything and still sound great without worrying about the driving chain makes them so useful.

Jul 8, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #185 of 212
For me, the first 'wow moment' came from a Grado RS1i paired with a MAD Ear tube amp. Next one happened later with a Grado PS1000. Something about that Grado sound that is just... right.
JoeDoe I still have never heard a Grado SMH….one of these days!

Jul 8, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #186 of 212
Did you reterminate your Grados to XLR, or recable them entirely?

Just asking, because I have acquired a Topping DX7 Pro and am experimenting with balanced operation…

Jul 8, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #187 of 212
After 30 years of listening to high quality headphones, I’m having a wow experience right now. The Audeze LCD-X 2021 is the most enjoyable headphone I have owned. Amazingly right sounding.

Jul 8, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #188 of 212
AKG 702. Never heard soundstage like that before. Positively mindblowing.

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #190 of 212
JoeDoe I still have never heard a Grado SMH….one of these days!
Well man, it's not too late haha! There's something to be said about a small, family-owned company staying relevant and competitive in today's head-fi/hi-fi market. They gotta be doing at least one or two things right!

Did you reterminate your Grados to XLR, or recable them entirely?

Just asking, because I have acquired a Topping DX7 Pro and am experimenting with balanced operation…
Hey, I have not reterminated. But, I'm definitely considering it with the Mjolnir 2 doing most of the amplifying these days!

Jul 10, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #191 of 212
My "wow" headphones? It's an experience :D

Searching the forums I found a topic about "SASH" headphones, a one-man brand from Ukraine that builds hand-made, custom to order planar magnetic headphones.
When you order he will send updates about the build process throughout the process
index.jpg
While you can't choose which wood he uses you are in control over how much and which lacquer is used. If you want he also creates cups that you can use to turn your open-back planar magnetic headphones into closed-back headphones; or even 'semi closed' if that is what you prefer.

Their sound is pleasant and it's signature is neutral. Micro details are not the best and out of the macro details can be better. I switched to Dekoni leather pads that improved the macro details a lot (perhaps due to a better seal).

index2.jpg
IMG_20200319_172001.jpg

Nowadays he is also offering engravings and a proper wooden box to store the headphones in
1625948922264.png

The best part? You get all this for just $400; the box is $20 during the promo period.

When I ordered mine it came with a fixed headband but he also offers a suspended leather strap; which you can get for $5
IMG_20200906_222024.jpgIMG_20210109_110648.jpg
So what are my "wow" headphones? The $400 open/closed planar magnetic headphones called SASH TRÈS from Ukraine!

Want to know more? head over to https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sash-deux-tres-impressive-planars-from-ukraine.909992/

Jul 11, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #193 of 212
Philips X2 did it for me in 2014 after decades of lesser headphones. Hifiman Deva is my latest WOW. Marvelously detailed can with the convenience of wireless. But the sound - WOW!

Jul 11, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #194 of 212
I’ve had a few. Sennheiser CX300’s (my first ‘expensive’ buds), massive step up from included buds. ATH-AD700 - my first proper over the ear. MDR-Z1R my first TOTL. All memorable wow moments! I’d add getting my TA-ZH1ES to that list as well, it was a big step up from using portables and an arcam dac/amp.

Jul 14, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #195 of 212
Cool thread. I’m enjoying reading people’s journeys and discoveries.

My biggest “Wow” moment was with the Abyss 1266 TC. I had the Sundara, Arya and Diana V2’s, all which sounded really good. I took a bit of a leap of faith and bought the 1266 without hearing them along with the full XI Audio stack. I must have listened for hours non-stop late at night. Loved the effortless bass, speed, detail and soundstage. I still own the whole setup but I’ve expanded into other brands and the wormhole took over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back