Your “wow” headphones
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #121 of 212
Many many years ago, my "wow" headphones were the Sennheiser HD414.
The next--and at that long-ago time a quantum leap super-WOW--was the Grado SR125.
Very similar for me. In 1979 a friend sold me his Sennheiser HD 414, black and yellow version. Up until then, all I could do is lay on the floor right between my dad's big speakers in his home-made speaker cabinet.

Somewhere around 2010 or so, within about a year of each other, I bought a used ER-4P and Alessandro MS1i (Grado SR125 massaged and smoothed). The ER-4P was especially super-WOW. I'd never heard such clear presentation -- but it blew any of my 128 kbbps mp3 files to bits -- very unkind to poor audio quality!

Today, I have the new ER4XR and Grado RS2e have replaced their older siblings. The RS2e is not so much WOW as it is just right.

Still want to try the Clear and the Ananda for all the bragging about both.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #122 of 212
how are the HD560s on a solid state amp?
The Sennheiser HD-560S sound good on every single amp, both solid state and tube, that I have listened them with. Sennheiser HD-560S is a real bargain that one can get high end sound from an under $200 headphone while paired with most any amp. I still love my Beyerdynamic DT-880 and Beyerdynamic DT-990 but only when they are paired with the right amp to get good sound out of them.

Apr 17, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #123 of 212
The Sennheiser HD-560S sound good on every single amp, both solid state and tube, that I have listened them with. Sennheiser HD-560S is a real bargain that one can get high end sound from an under $200 headphone while paired with most any amp. I still love my Beyerdynamic DT-880 and Beyerdynamic DT-990 but only when they are paired with the right amp to get good sound out of them.
Thank you, how close is the overall sound signature to the hd6xx/650? I've got a paired and they just bore more with most amps (even THX), they ARE a fund listen on a cheap xduo-602 hybrid app (the DT880-250 also shine on that)

Apr 17, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #124 of 212
those that complained probably don't have the right equipment to drive them. BHSE or KGSSHV are hot garbage and antiquated technology IMO. *runs from stax mafia*
they were about 10db less sensitive than 009's, but bass slam and impact like it was abyss 1266 TC for a estat. also the imaging, and overall balanced timbre made this more of what I'd expect from the ultimate Planar than eStat. So that's what "WoW'ed me" keeping in line with the thread.
What would you recommend to drive the Nectar Hive?
My Wow moment was when I first listened to Etymotic ER-4S with and Airhead amp.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #125 of 212
Thank you, how close is the overall sound signature to the hd6xx/650? I've got a paired and they just bore more with most amps (even THX), they ARE a fund listen on a cheap xduo-602 hybrid app (the DT880-250 also shine on that)
I have a fairly good collection of headphones. My Sennheiser HD-560S rotates among five headphones as the best sound signature. Conversely, my Sennheiser HD-6XX is my dead last, least favorite headphone of all that I own. Sennheiser HD-6XX is the headphone that I never reach for to listen to. Sennheiser HD-6XX sounds very boring and dead. Particularly when considering how much I paid for it. The Sennheiser HD-560S does everything perfectly and I can't believe that it costs less than $200. When I recommend headphones to first time buyers, I tell them the Sennheiser HD-560S is it bellow $200.
headphones.jpg

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #126 of 212
Definitely a cool thread. Early days.. Grado SR60 blew me away lol. I couldn't believe it, and ended up buying every grado after. Right after the SR60, the AKG K501. This headphone really set the stage for my entire listening preferences. Clarity, detail, speed and soundstage are still huge priorities for me.

Present day and out of all time, the headphones that have wowed me the most would be (in order of wow factor):

Immediately:
Raal Sr1a
Audio Technica L3000
Abyss TC
Sennheiser HE60

Over time:
Stax 009
Hifiman Susvara
Stax 007
Sennheiser HD800 and HD800s

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #127 of 212
Current wow experience is the HD600 being driven by my JDS Atom amp from the line-out of my Orious DP100. It’s like the pieces of this rig were made for one another

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #128 of 212
I have a fairly good collection of headphones. My Sennheiser HD-560S rotates among five headphones as the best sound signature. Conversely, my Sennheiser HD-6XX is my dead last, least favorite headphone of all that I own. Sennheiser HD-6XX is the headphone that I never reach for to listen to. Sennheiser HD-6XX sounds very boring and dead. Particularly when considering how much I paid for it. The Sennheiser HD-560S does everything perfectly and I can't believe that it costs less than $200. When I recommend headphones to first time buyers, I tell them the Sennheiser HD-560S is it bellow $200.
headphones.jpg
Enormous collection :L3000: What do you think of the HD 600 and compared to 560-S?

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #129 of 212
Apr 17, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #131 of 212
a quantum leap super-WOW--was the Grado SR125. And later the serious upgrade to Grado SR325, wow-plus. Still grab those for basic aural excitement.
I agree with you. We share this non-e Grado Wow. Yes, the newer e versions of the Grado SR line are amazing. I own the newer e versions like SR225e and SR325e that sound wonderful, but I prefer the older model SR225 for some tube magic Wow.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #132 of 212
Grado SR60 was the first headphone that started me on this hobby.

HD800 were my first WOW headphone. They are still my main one 9 years later.

My next higher end headphone purchase will be to supplement the HD800 with a different sound. Maybe something warmer.

Apr 18, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #133 of 212
Abyss Diana V2's were a step up in clarity over everything I had heard before.
This.

I have tried (and owned) a couple of different headphones: LCD 2/3; Arya, Clear, CX, but it wasn't until Diana V2 that I felt that I really upgraded my headphones (everything else felt like a different take / sonic characteristics - but always a side grade). It wowed me so much so that I immediately ordered AB-1266

Apr 18, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #134 of 212
@hottyson yeah the 6XX doesn't do it for me I don't get the hype
M570 for what I paid $135 was damn good BUT
M1570 with iFi Zen CAN(any ifi with the same features will do) using bass boost and 3D button is legit amazing...

also iFi Zen CAN gets a lot of credit, made me want to listen to the new (2nd pair) Sundara I bought again and elevated my basscanon DT990

made the 6XX listenable with extra soundstage no more rolled off bass @hottyson *wink* *wink*

so for me the M1570 and the iFi Zen CAN both on their own and even more powerful combined
if anyone gets the iFi Zen CAN I suggest the iPower plug as I have heard the standard one underpowers it, I was lucky to get the last "launch edition" which included it for only $20 more

but for under $200 Class A + Balanced option + Bass boost/3D + Can use BB/3D since it doubles as balanced preamp
can't beat it I think, really makes me question why other manufacturers aren't putting Bass Boost switches let alone developing extra sound tech since the 3D actually sounds BETTER! Can see myself investing in iFi even more if their support isn't as bad as their account on here @iFi audio Luckily my CC has +2 years warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back