1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

You know you're an audiophile when...

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ohhgourami, Mar 14, 2011.
First

Back
311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320
322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331
Next

Last
  1. takato14
    Quote:
    I'm not exaggerating. The $400 Beats Pro is worse at Hip-Hop and Rap than the $300 DT1350. Far worse. I was not able to find enjoyment in listening to them. The low end was bloated and muddy, and overshrowded and bled into the other ranges. Not to mention the general lack of sub-bass was pretty pathetic. Even my Pro/4AAA (37 years old) has more sub bass than a Beats Pro. More treble too...

Sadly I don't have the SS-100, I'm currently trying to get one. I have however seen the SS-100s graph, it was in its instruction manual if I remember correctly. Check Wikiphonia, they have the scans.

2. HalidePisces
    You know you're an audiophile when your portable headphones have been re-cabled with wires 14 AWG or bigger. :)

3. wuwhere Contributor
    Quote:

Not if you're 85 years old and hard at hearing.

4. ZMZB
    Quote:
    Are you being serious?

5. DefQon
    Quote:

Hmmm.

6. streetdragon
    headphones with a midbass mountain without subbass are like the saying: all fluff but no fury. or a lizard trying to be a dragon
    (other more neutral headphones with slight midbass hump are not that bad though, since it isn't overly exaggerated)

7. BBBS
    Yeah, all the Beats hate bores me a little. It's like with cars there's always one marque or model getting unfair treatment. For example, BMWs seem to inspire a lot of spite and jealousy and passed down stories. With this is mind, Beats must be the Escalade of headphones: obnoxious, overpriced, but extremely popular and not really that bad if you accept it for what it is.

I don't agree. Some studios have stuff like HD650s for their musicality. They usually don't just use one set of headphones or speakers, but instead work with near field monitors and then replay on, say, some big B&Ws or even something closer to what their audience will listen with. You have to wonder if they use filters to hear stuff with the sound signature of Beats and Apple buds, since they're the norm for most consumers.

I would say the closest to neutral would be top-end single driver speakers playing studio masters, but many people will probably point out that single drivers have poor bass extension.

8. ipmaham
    When your co-workers gawk at the amount of $$$ you spent on your headphones and amp..

9. ZMZB
    Quote:
    ...when you'd be disappointed if they didn't.

10. stevenswall
    Quote:
    Sorry, you are right to correct me. I did not remember that the graphs are tweaked with HRTF, and neglected to mention this fact. However, the point I was trying to make is that flat is flat (ruler flat) and the ear will not hear a flat headphone as such. The ear will hear a flat/neutral headphone as bright. I was trying to differentiate between a theoretically flat headphone, and one that is perceived as being flat. If a headphone is actually neutral, it is a flat line. If it sounds neutral (is perceived) neutral, it will have a frequency response based on the human hearing curve. Personally, I'd probably call this a 'natural' curve, as it's following the natural FR curve of the human ear.

I've done some research, and looked at many Headroom graphs, as well as raw graphs from InnerFidelity and elsewhere. We seem to have a misunderstanding based on terminology, and because we disagree as to whether or not there is a flat or perceived flat headphone. I have yet to find a flat raw FR graph, or an HRTF one that exactly follows the loudness contour of the human ear.

11. mikiphile
    Slightly off topic but.. 

Have you ever wondered what a wannabe audiophile looks like?

There you go..

enhanced-buzz-10576-1352994665-17.jpg

[​IMG]

12. Doc-holliday
    I have never wondered. I don't really grade people on their "audiophileness".

13. miceblue
    ...when you spend a few hours listening to music instead of doing your homework. This happens waaay too often... :/

14. Han Bao Quan
    you don't have to be an audiophile to listen to music for hours. But I know what you mean

15. Argyris Contributor
    Quote:

I'm sort of doing that now, but since I just spent the past few days knocking out a big project, I figure I'm entitled to a little break.

You know you're an audiophile when you've run out of things to complete this phrase with but you can still listen to your favorite songs an infinite number of additional times without enjoying them any less.

First

Back
311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320
322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331
Next

Last