1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

You know you're an audiophile when...

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ohhgourami, Mar 14, 2011.
First

Back
309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318
320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329
Next

Last
  1. kenman345
    That's a myth. As an audiophile I agree that neutral is the way to go, but from real world experience sometimes I'm just in the mood for something completely ridiculous that just works well for one music genre. Some people dont understand though that neutral doesnt mean dull, it it's anything but that when done right
    Quote:

2. Parall3l
    Quote:

You don't seem to understand that sometimes music is not intended to be played with neutral equipment, and that some people prefer colored headphones.

3. Argyris Contributor
    Quote:

That's quite true. I imagine the "neutral" most people think of when they say this is either bass-light or mid-centric.

I don't berate people who like a colored sound, as long as they know that's what they like and as long as it's not being sold to them as accurate. But neutral will always be my preference, and I think everybody should experience "good" neutral at some point so they have a benchmark. Folks who thought of it as boring just might end up liking it after all.

4. TheJesusGuy
    Quote:
    WHERE IS THIS!?

5. CashNotCredit
    :popcorn: You know you're an an audiophile if you passionately agree or disagree with this statement.

6. streetdragon
    well neutral or not, everybody is united with the love of transparency~

7. Achmedisdead
    Quote:
    At one point I had Grado and Sennheiser headphones at the same time.....you can't tell me neither of them was any good! Yet neither one was neutral.[​IMG]

8. kazaakas
    Quote:

Still, there are much better headphones out there with an accentuated bass response than the Dre beats for the same or less money

9. streetdragon
    i do have a grado and sennheiser now as well, i like them both for different tastes [​IMG]

10. Elektrospeed
    Quote:
    Well then Grado's are not good because they're mainly for rock music.

Any headphone, even HD800', Tesla T1's, even the HE90's, will "alter" the sound. The only way the sound would not be "altered" is by listening to the recording in the exact same studio where it was recorded, with the exact same equipement it was mastered. And even then you might not like how it sounds.

I think what you meant is that the bias should not be so exaggerated, or that a headphone should not be limited to one (or very few) music genre(s).

11. takato14
    Quote:
    I can NOT admit that, because I like those genres, and when I tried the Pros at Best Buy, they were absolutely horrible. 

12. takato14
    Quote:
    For one, there are only a VERY select few headphones that are truly neutral. There are only 3 headphones that I know are neutral: The DT1350, the SE-700, and the HD800. The SE-700 barely qualifies because it has rolled off bass and treble.

Second, the LCD-3 isn't neutral, the SR-007 isn't neutral, nor is the TH-900 and the T1. Are those suddenly not good headphones?

13. Elektrospeed
    Quote:
    And if you throw in individual hearing perceptions, then there is absolutely no neutral headphone in the world. I also think that saying "not neutral is bad" is going too far.

Part of being an audiophile comes from actually understanding the product and its capabilities. Just expecting everything to be neutral will lead you to never being happy with your purchases. 

You can see from my equipement that I have not exactly bass shy equipement, and I really enjoy it. Even my car stereo is somewhat bass-biased, and it sounds awesome, tried some Audyssey EQ on it, which fllatened the response but sounded like crap.

Preferences... preferences... of course there's a limit when a coloration becomes absurd, but even then it's entirely subjective.

14. takato14
    When a song can make you cry.

15. stevenswall
    Quote:

Can we all agree that a neutral headphone is one that is ruler flat? (Neutral to all frequencies, and not emphasizing or dampening any of them.)

If so, I daresay there is no neutral headphone because headphone companies have not chosen to make on yet:

[​IMG]

Pick a flagship. If you're looking for neutral, they are all going to 'suck.' Perhaps the company I trust most to make something that sounds neutral is Etymotic, which matched the frequency response to how the ear hears things, making their products 85%+ neutral from the perception of a human ear. (I would call this 'natural' frequency response, because it is corrected to how we naturally perceive sound. A natural headphone or earphone may not sound completely natural though, as decay and transient response may not be correct.) An actually neutral headphone will sound bright, simple because the ear is more sensitive to treble frequencies than bass frequencies, and a headphone close to neutral will sound bright...

What is the definition of balanced? I always looked at it as a literal thing: Cut the frequency response graph in half, and if it is symmetrical, it's balanced... Doesn't matter if it's flat, v-shaped, n-shaped, or u-shaped, if the bass and treble are equally proportioned, it's balanced.

First

Back
309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318
320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329
Next

Last