You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #3,467 of 6,356
When you have a pair of headphones that nobody else in your country have, and if you tell someone how much them cost they just don't belive you.

When you hear someone lissening music with his phone speaker and you just want go and throw his phone away.

When you find that all the recordings of one of your favorite bands are really bad done and it have a lot of background noise. :frowning2:

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #3,468 of 6,356
Quote:
I'm an audiophile and have no idea what the graphs mean.
Problem?
Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

I think the problem arises when some interpret an Audiophile as someone who listens to equipment rather than music. If you don't know measurements, and some of the technical jargon, you can't comparatively evaluate systems with objective data to support a personal audition.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #3,469 of 6,356
Quote:
When you hear someone lissening music with his phone speaker and you just want go and throw his phone away.

LOL

You know someone is NOT an audiophile when they are listening to their smartphone or mp3 player with the OEM phones that came with. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #3,470 of 6,356
Sep 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #3,471 of 6,356
Fire extinguisher: check
Flame proof nomex hood & gloves: check
Fire suit: check

Okay here we go..

When I first found this thread I thought, wow a thread with some levity and humor. I read something in the OP about seeing a pretty gal and starting but only to see what kind of 'phones she has on. You know like the "you know you're a redneck" jokes head-fi style. (and by the way the cell phone in the trash was a good one.. nice)

What I was shocked to find out is how many people take this thread super serious. I mean if you insult someone's "audiophile-ness" then you are satan. The definition in websters AND collins cobuild is a very simple one (websters below):

au·dio·phile noun \ˈȯ-dē-ō-ˌfī(-ə)l\

Definition of AUDIOPHILE

: a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction

First Known Use of AUDIOPHILE: 1951

Who cares really who is an "audiophile" or not. I don't walk around telling people "I am an audiophile". Do I know a LOT more than your average consumer? Am I enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction? Yes and Yes but who cares? Technically most on here meet the definition. Some don't and just want help getting a bit better sound. And a ton of guys on here are a wealth of knowledge way beyond my realm and I respect them and those guys to me are more of an "audiophile" than I call myself in my eyes (a lot of which spend their hard earned money and personal time buying and testing things just for the community). In other words audiophile is relative. And to label yourself or others and then get offended if someone's "criteria" doesn't match your arbitrary "standards" of what an audiophile is or isn't is just snob and ignorant.

Thats my 2 cents..... Better call the fantastic four cuz its time........ flame on!

Doc

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #3,472 of 6,356
Quote:
When you find that all the recordings of one of your favorite bands are really bad done and it have a lot of background noise. :frowning2:

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #3,473 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You know when you're an audiophile when the 30hz square wave response makes you burst out laughing.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/WalMartThreeDollarBuds.pdf

Anyone?

For comparison
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2.pdf

You know you're not an audiophile when you have no idea what the hell you're looking at when you see those charts.

I'm an audiophile and have no idea what the graphs mean.

Problem?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

That just means you haven't taken the time to learn yet ;p

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #3,475 of 6,356
Quote:
I think the problem arises when some interpret an Audiophile as someone who listens to equipment rather than music. If you don't know measurements, and some of the technical jargon, you can't comparatively evaluate systems with objective data to support a personal audition.

I am more than capable of making an informed decision without graphs.

@Takato, I have no interest in graphs.

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #3,476 of 6,356
Quote:

I am more than capable of making an informed decision without graphs.

@Takato, I have no interest in graphs.

No doubt. Graphs can help, but audiophiles existed and made decisions about purchasing equipment before audio magazines did all this testing. And I'm sure that many people on here who call themselves audiophiles can't interpret half of the graphs for this subwoofer

But to repeat, graphs, particularly frequency response charts, can be a big help. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #3,477 of 6,356
I still drive a 98' Camry with 278,000 miles.  Guess where my money goes?  BTW,  the audio equipment in the car is worth a lot more than the car itself!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #3,478 of 6,356
You know you're an audiophile when you don't have all the basic necessities such as food, shelter, or clothing but those are the least of your worries. You just want to keep listening to your favorite headphones...
triportsad.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #3,480 of 6,356
You know you're an audiophile when you've owned so many headphones that whenever you go to order a new set you can't remember if you've owned them before.  

Or is that more a senior citizen than an audiophile?
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back