1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

You know you're an audiophile when...

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ohhgourami, Mar 14, 2011.
First

Back
222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231
233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242
Next

Last
  1. Nectar
    Quote:

Done this many a time, even missed my stop on the train as I was reading a thread on here on the ipad.

2. Signy
    When you have a pair of headphones that nobody else in your country have, and if you tell someone how much them cost they just don't belive you.

When you hear someone lissening music with his phone speaker and you just want go and throw his phone away.

When you find that all the recordings of one of your favorite bands are really bad done and it have a lot of background noise. :frowning2:

3. stevenswall
    Quote:
    I think the problem arises when some interpret an Audiophile as someone who listens to equipment rather than music. If you don't know measurements, and some of the technical jargon, you can't comparatively evaluate systems with objective data to support a personal audition.

4. cel4145
    Quote:

LOL

You know someone is NOT an audiophile when they are listening to their smartphone or mp3 player with the OEM phones that came with. 

5. GloryUprising
  6. Doc-holliday
    Fire extinguisher: check
    Flame proof nomex hood & gloves: check
    Fire suit: check

Okay here we go..

When I first found this thread I thought, wow a thread with some levity and humor. I read something in the OP about seeing a pretty gal and starting but only to see what kind of 'phones she has on. You know like the "you know you're a redneck" jokes head-fi style. (and by the way the cell phone in the trash was a good one.. nice)

What I was shocked to find out is how many people take this thread super serious. I mean if you insult someone's "audiophile-ness" then you are satan. The definition in websters AND collins cobuild is a very simple one (websters below):

au·dio·phile noun \ˈȯ-dē-ō-ˌfī(-ə)l\

Definition of AUDIOPHILE

: a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction

First Known Use of AUDIOPHILE: 1951

Who cares really who is an "audiophile" or not. I don't walk around telling people "I am an audiophile". Do I know a LOT more than your average consumer? Am I enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction? Yes and Yes but who cares? Technically most on here meet the definition. Some don't and just want help getting a bit better sound. And a ton of guys on here are a wealth of knowledge way beyond my realm and I respect them and those guys to me are more of an "audiophile" than I call myself in my eyes (a lot of which spend their hard earned money and personal time buying and testing things just for the community). In other words audiophile is relative. And to label yourself or others and then get offended if someone's "criteria" doesn't match your arbitrary "standards" of what an audiophile is or isn't is just snob and ignorant.

Thats my 2 cents..... Better call the fantastic four cuz its time........ flame on!

Doc

CashNotCredit likes this.
  7. kazaakas
    Quote:

i_hug_that_feel.png

8. takato14
    Quote:
    That just means you haven't taken the time to learn yet ;p

9. Penguin1026
    This thread is making my entire day! It is so funny! I just love reading it. Will post something after I get some new gear!

10. CrystalT
    Quote:

I am more than capable of making an informed decision without graphs.

@Takato, I have no interest in graphs.

11. cel4145
    Quote:

No doubt. Graphs can help, but audiophiles existed and made decisions about purchasing equipment before audio magazines did all this testing. And I'm sure that many people on here who call themselves audiophiles can't interpret half of the graphs for this subwoofer

But to repeat, graphs, particularly frequency response charts, can be a big help. 

12. germay0653
    I still drive a 98' Camry with 278,000 miles.  Guess where my money goes?  BTW,  the audio equipment in the car is worth a lot more than the car itself!  [​IMG]

13. HeadCare
    You know you're an audiophile when you don't have all the basic necessities such as food, shelter, or clothing but those are the least of your worries. You just want to keep listening to your favorite headphones...[​IMG]

14. Crimson Tear
    When you just ordered a single set of headphones that is worth more than your car.  Feels good.

15. pp312
    You know you're an audiophile when you've owned so many headphones that whenever you go to order a new set you can't remember if you've owned them before.  

Or is that more a senior citizen than an audiophile? [​IMG]

First

Back
222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231
233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242
Next

Last