You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Jan 8, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #3,781 of 6,112
  Well, for me,

YKYAAW you google about "How to be an audiophile?"

Step one 1. Go to HDtracks.com  and purchase 192 khz 24 bit recordings
2. buy thousand dollar cables thicker than your garden hose
3. spend 10$ on an amp and parade around and shout/argue all amps sound the same
4. constantly bring up Beats every time you get the opportunity to. argue that they're the best no matter how much evidence people throw at you
5. say that sennheisers don't even sound that good.

follow these five steps and you can become an audiophile (I know music alchemist gets really worked up over step one so I couldn't resist lol)

I'm just kidding. Don't do these things. That's stupid.

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #3,782 of 6,112
3. spend 10$ on an amp and parade around and shout/argue all amps sound the same
4. constantly bring up Beats every time you get the opportunity to. argue that they're the best no matter how much evidence people throw at you

follow these five steps and you can become an audiophile (I know music alchemist gets really worked up over step one so I couldn't resist lol)

you got the humor bro...

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #3,784 of 6,112

lol. I actually like HDtracks and own some of their albums. Only a few sound the same as the CD version, since in those cases they came from the same master.

lol again. I want to meet someone who owns a cheap amp, yet has expensive cables.

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #3,785 of 6,112
lol. I actually like HDtracks and own some of their albums. Only a few sound the same as the CD version, since in those cases they came from the same master.

lol again. I want to meet someone who owns a cheap amp, yet has expensive cables.

Yeah I was talking in reference to albums that do have the same master.
Um, why? All amps sound the sane dude (kidding). No that'd be really funny though.

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #3,786 of 6,112
YKYAAW you go to bed at 9 PM so you can wake up early and be absolutely sure you don't miss any of the two or three packages (containing an amp, DAC, headphones, and cables) you are receiving the following day.

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #3,789 of 6,112
YKYAAW the S/PDIF output on a laptop you're looking at is an attractive feature

Looking at the Lenovo Y40; Core i5, 500GB + 8GB SSHD, 8GB RAM and an AMD Radeon R9 M275. It's got an S/PDIF output, which is really cool; I might be able to get a DAC for it without using up a USB port. Does anyone know of any cheaper DACs that can use S/PDIF?

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #3,790 of 6,112

Looking at the Lenovo Y40; Core i5, 500GB + 8GB SSHD, 8GB RAM and an AMD Radeon R9 M275. It's got an S/PDIF output, which is really cool; I might be able to get a DAC for it without using up a USB port. Does anyone know of any cheaper DACs that can use S/PDIF?

What's you definition of cheap? Give us a ballpark figure.

Musical Fidelity's V-DACs have USB, SP/DIF and TosLink inputs.

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #3,792 of 6,112
  What's you definition of cheap? Give us a ballpark figure.

Musical Fidelity's V-DACs have USB, SP/DIF and TosLink inputs.

$150 or less, preferably under $100 (I understand this is quite limited, but the laptop is taking up most of my budget.)

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #3,793 of 6,112
YKYAAW you have a backup catridge for your backup cartridges' backup cartridge. And two spare step-up transformers.

Could be the answer to ' You know you're paranoid when'?
ph34r.gif

YKYAAW you own an $1,100 12 TB external hard drive array that is designed for continuous 24/7/365 operation and has security features that enable replacement of one or more of its four drives with no loss of data.

USB may sound better. (I got the USB-only Schiit Modi 2 for $99.) And you can always get a powered USB hub.

The upcoming Schiit Modi Optical has TOSLINK S/PDIF input. Or you could get the Modi 2 Uber ($149) for USB 2.0, TOSLINK S/PDIF, and coaxial S/PDIF inputs.

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #3,795 of 6,112
YKYAAW you have $1.50 left on a reward card after buying a dual headphone stand and are brainstorming $1.50 audio-related purchases.

Ideas, anyone?

(Note: If it's a physical item, it must qualify for Amazon Prime shipping; otherwise, I can't get it.)

Edit: Ooh, I have a great idea! I could join a $1 trial to...something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back