You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Jun 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #2,356 of 6,112
  wav doesn't support tags either right?  I'd prefer flac which is lossless as well but, when I convert to mp3 the mp3 retains the tags so i only have to do the tagging once.

*.wav supports tags if you have the file on your computer and only on your computer, but those tags do not transfer when you copy that file onto another device like a portable player. That's my experience, anyway. Using Foobar's file rename function, once you have your metadata exactly the way you want it would make those files still searchable without tags or retrieve tags from the filename, but it's not exactly ideal.

Both Apple and Microsoft have their own lossless codecs (ALAC & WMA Lossless), which support tags and which can be recognised by each company's standard media players. But for portables? Even in these modern days, it's very much worth checking if they will support those formats before you lay your money down.

FLAC is excellent and extensively taggable, but I think you still need to hack iTunes and WMP before they'll even detect the format, let alone play it.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #2,357 of 6,112

*.wav supports tags if you have the file on your computer and only on your computer, but those tags do not transfer when you copy that file onto another device like a portable player. That's my experience, anyway. Using Foobar's file rename function, once you have your metadata exactly the way you want it would make those files still searchable without tags or retrieve tags from the filename, but it's not exactly ideal.

Both Apple and Microsoft have their own lossless codecs (ALAC & WMA Lossless), which support tags and which can be recognised by each company's standard media players. But for portables? Even in these modern days, it's very much worth checking if they will support those formats before you lay your money down.

FLAC is excellent and extensively taggable, but I think you still need to hack iTunes and WMP before they'll even detect the format, let alone play it.

And what about those crazy people like me who haven't touched windows or a mac in years and se linux exclusviely?   I also only use rockbox mp3 players or android phones.  Personally I use my mp3 player when I'm playing fifa or in the back of a car, or while taking a leisurerly walk. Until someone convinces me otherwise I'm sticking to 320 mp3s

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #2,358 of 6,112
  And what about those crazy people like me who haven't touched windows or a mac in years and se linux exclusviely?   I also only use rockbox mp3 players or android phones.  Personally I use my mp3 player when I'm playing fifa or in the back of a car, or while taking a leisurerly walk. Until someone convinces me otherwise I'm sticking to 320 mp3s

Linux and other open source stuff is an admirable thing which drives computing forward in many ways, but is used by a tiny minority of the total market.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #2,359 of 6,112

I'd use Linux exclusively as my main OS if the game support was better, but Valve seems to be changing that. When I do use Linux I use Clementine music player, I don't know if it plays FLAC but I only use 320 MP3s.

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #2,363 of 6,112
...when you rely on the in-line microphone to pick up what family members say to you while you wear your headphones!

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #2,364 of 6,112
  YKYAAW you judge audio equipment for what they are; not what everyone else says about it, then make your own decisions about whether it is good or bad in your opinion disregarding other's opinion and not forcing your own ideals onto others and not letting others force their ideals onto you...?

...and when you judge another person by the headphones he or she keeps.

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #2,365 of 6,112
...when you rely on the in-line microphone to pick up what family members say to you while you wear your headphones!

Do you use etymotic awareness?

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #2,370 of 6,112
  YKYAA when you look at comic books and get angry that there's no superhero called Headphoneman.

There's HiFiMan though
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back