You guys arn't very helpful..
Jan 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #16 of 31
I'm going to sound like an ass here but people are under no obligation to help you and you have no right to it. It's just something to bear in mind for life.
That said, the people on this forum are extremely generous and what has been said in terms of reasoning for why you did't get a response is all true. The most likely reason is that people don't know or the person that does just hasn't seen your post.

General advice I can give is if no one answers your thread is either do a search for threads on similar or those exact headphones and either post in those asking for help or find someone using the same method that may have had experience with both and send a PM. It shows you tried to help yourself first and people may be more willing to try to help you then.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #18 of 31
This forum can be helpful, and it can be bruising.

It can be helpful because a question is asked in clearly and the right people happen to see it. One of Epic's threads - so far has had 85 views - it's likely the head-fiers with the knowledge (if any) aren't yet among these viewers. There's a large membership, and it's not all online, all the time. There's an element of luck involved.

Headfi is a community with its own style of listening and talking. It can take a little persistence to find the 'magic formula' to get quicker and fuller replies - again, subject to the right people chancing along.
What's the magic formula? No idea how to describe it, but you know it when you find it, and you learn it by watching others posts and how they're responded to.

Speaking of arrogance and high horses...well yes, the forum can be bruising as well. Sometimes perfectly decent head-fiers briefly lose the plot and get banned temporarily; on other occasions a head-fier volunteers well-meant information only to have it dissected and raked over the coals, whereas the same comments on another occasion pass unnoticed; some others just seem to constantly enjoy sniping and baiting.

All of this makes the forum exactly like real life, so what's new?

@Epic, if you care to stick around I'm sure you will get value. Personally, in less than eight months (since I became really active, not since I joined) I've learned lots, made good friends, and even contributed a little here and there.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #19 of 31
I read your thread, and as a personal tip, next time use something that us simple down to earth people without a PhD in physics can understand.

Or can't I understand your since I'm allegedly dumb?

Anyways, when I posted my thread to ask for advice I got like an average of 2 posts an hour... all helpful.

On the negative side, most posts actually made things more complicated: "Instead of the other 15 options you have, try this or this!"... no complaining though still love you guys

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #20 of 31
i can agree with the op on some cases. it really depends on the question being asked on head-fi. if you are talking about a certain headphone that is popular you will get a quality response. if you ask about certain things you will get certain responses like you should go with an iem or this certain headphone even if you said you aren't looking for anything along those lines. it just depends. i usually get a better idea of things just be looking around the existing threads and if i can't find what i am looking for i sometimes ask but usually without much for a response for the exact sort of thing i am looking for. it is a quality site for sure though, but just like any site there are pros and cons to the community and with things like headphones people are often going to already have default responses to your questions because so many headphones have already been discussed that certain things are bound to get suggested and threads that might deal with something we might ask already exist and people think you just do a search to find the answer. there are things i wish where discussed when it came to certain things on this site and at different price points because as with most things audio the more expensive stuff is going to get a large majority of the recommendations and if you are on an audio site of quality you kind of have to expect that.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #21 of 31
I've gotten great advice from this place, and I've seen some petty arguments over nothing. There are people that with snip at you or someone else just because they can or they just don't like you.

Its a forum, it WILL happen. if you would turn down your music and pay attention you might notice that.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #22 of 31

Quote:
I've gotten great advice from this place, and I've seen some petty arguments over nothing. There are people that with snip at you or someone else just because they can or they just don't like you.
Its a forum, it WILL happen. if you would turn down your music and pay attention you might notice that.

woot! I approve this message! 

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #23 of 31

Quote:
I hope you guys enjoy sitting on your high horse, because im outtie :D

It's not just guys.  There are gals, too ... if you can believe the avatars.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #24 of 31

Quote:
It's not just guys.  There are gals, too ... if you can believe the avatars.

I wouldn't use the avatars as gender indicators... 

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #26 of 31

Quote:
If I use a car or boat, would I be considered female?

a nice sparerib rack or chicken breasts sandwiched between some nice round sesame buns will do nicely 

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #27 of 31
Everyone here has been very helpful and accommodating, sometimes it may take awhile to get a response but that happens on all forums. If it hadn't been for these nice people and this great forum I would probably still be buying crappy headphones at a premium price

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #29 of 31
I smell a spoiled kid that's use to getting everything he wants.  After a couple days with no reply, who else we deliberartly start a whole new thread whining that his post wasn't answered? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back