You gotta be kidding!
Apr 21, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 37
If you're going to buy premium tubes, the time is now. It's only going to get worse.

Apr 21, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 37
Makes me want to go out and buy some decent tubes, only to sit on them for a while. Sheesh, that's expensive. I guess dd3mon's deal for a used pair was a steal now.

Apr 21, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 37
Damn! I squeaked when I had to shell out 90.00 a throw for my TungSol's.

Apr 21, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 37
what if you bought them but dropped them and broke them? i'd eat it

Apr 21, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 37
Are good tubes really worth this much?

If one pair of tubes can sell for 800+, why don't some of us gather some funds, and start making really high quality tubes. There should be loads of money to be made.

Apr 21, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 37
Hmmm... if they sound so damn good, people might as well return their front role concert tickets and wait for the CD to come out. Better yet, don't do concerts anymore. Just record live concerts in an empty stadium and sell the CD at $100 a piece.

Apr 21, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 37
This is sick!
mad.gif

This is why I am avoiding all things tubes forever.
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

I just got my op-amps today and I'm pretty pleased that I didn't exceed $52 USD for them!
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 37
I love using tubes, but you have to be creative when selecting them. The Stealth uses a 12AX7 tube, but for dirt cheap you can roll in some 6829 series tubes and get some fabulous sound for less than $4 per tube.

I personally won't give up the tubes for anything now. Being able to completely tailor your sound to your ears and preferences makes tubes irreplaceable in my book.

Apr 21, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
I love using tubes, but you have to be creative when selecting them. The Stealth uses a 12AX7 tube, but for dirt cheap you can roll in some 6829 series tubes and get some fabulous sound for less than $4 per tube.

I personally won't give up the tubes for anything now. Being able to completely tailor your sound to your ears and preferences makes tubes irreplaceable in my book.

That's your decision buddy!
tongue.gif

All I know is that I have my own ways of tailoring the sound to be exactly the way I want it to sound: solid state digital operational amplifiers. Here's the great part: they never wear out and you can resell them too. That's what I love about my Emmeline HR-2!
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef
what if you bought them but dropped them and broke them? i'd eat it

I'd cry like a baby!
eek.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 37
Can someone please tell me two things:

Firstly, how is it a tube can sound different than another tube of the same type?

Secondly, why is it we can't easily build tubes that eclipse the old ones? Surely manufacturing now is more reliable, and cheaper.

Regarding my first point, I am not disputing the fact they can sound different but how is this possible?

Trevor

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 37
Maybe it's in Au dollars. But that's still almost $600 bucks. Of course, he can also list it at whatever price he wants. The question is, who's going to buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back