You gotta be kidding!
Apr 22, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #31 of 37
It appears that sale is pending on those tubes.

Don't tubes age though? As in, "burn out" after some amount of use?

Apr 22, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
I see only SS in your future, Hirsch.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

LOL, you haven't seen my tube stash
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie

Don't tubes age though? As in, "burn out" after some amount of use?

Yes, but the aging process can sometimes be quite slow. David Berning claims that the tubes in the MicroZOTL can last well over ten years even with daily use. Tubes will age faster if they are being driven too hard. It's not unreasonable to expect 5,000-10,000 hours on a good tube. That's more hours than you'll likely get out of a moving coil phono cartridge...and those can cost far more than a premium tube.

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
As an electronics engineer - I can confirm that you are mistaken
cool.gif

denial isnt gonna help. Solid State is always going to be just that little bit less refined compared to tube audio...no matter how you phrase it. Transistor switching is there whether you like it or not.

What is this switching you're talking about? I thought that a traditional analog SS amp was biased at a given voltage. Isn't swithing only in digital stuff
confused.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #34 of 37
some days back this beautiful pair of Telefunken ECC803S's was in the process of bidding on ebay for the amount of US$700 and still counting.
Boy , I wish I had that kind of money. cos' this set of tubes is indeed RARE.
I mean every place seems to be sold out of these and even its little ECC83 brother.
Anyone have a pair they want to sell
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
LOL, you haven't seen my tube stash
wink.gif

LOL, well I've seen part of it sitting in my living room!
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
LOL, well I've seen part of it sitting in my living room!
tongue.gif

LOL. The tip of the iceberg...
biggrin.gif
I like to have enough tubes to keep my amps running for a couple of hundred years, just in case...
wink.gif

Highflying,

I can't speak to 6AS7's, but as far as 6SN7's... note that tubes will sound different depending on the circuit. However, for current production, the Electro-Harmonix is about as good a 6SN7 as I've heard. The best ones are all old, and usually the older ones sound best. Sylvania 6SN7GT's (also called the VT-231 during the 40's are an excellent tube. Construction changed in 1953, and while tubes after than sound good, some think they don't have the magic of the earlier ones. The Syl 6SN7A and 6SN7W also can sound very good. Other good ones are the Ken-Rad VT-231 (6SN7GT) with staggered plates, and the Tung Sol round plate VT-231 (6SN7GT). RCA made a nice one also, but I think it's a step behind the top ones. Raytheon had some good ones, but I haven't listened to them a lot. That's the cream of the crop, IMO, but there are many more that will sound very good.

Mullard had some very good ones, but I haven't heard them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back