Yo-yos, because there isn't a thread about them
Dec 3, 2009 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

1000+ Head-Fier
I randomly feel like buying a yo-yo for nostalgic reasons, and because my powerball reminded me of them, but I want to get something better than what I had as a kid.
I want to get a really good one, but not one like this, unless they do that cool thing where they spin on the end of the string and come back.
yoyo.JPG

I know it's a random thing to ask about, but what do you recommend?

I don't want to spend over £30 unless I can notice a difference over a £15 one significantly.

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 95
I'm no expert, but Yomega isnt that good in my experience (they typically need extensive tightening when you first get them).

Be sure to look around at yoyo review sites, because some yoyos are very hard to use.

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 95
Reminds me of the mid 80's, when "every" kid had a Coca Colo Yo-yo..
smile.gif

1104173_090103122918_yoyo.JPG

coca_cola_yo_yo.jpg

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 95
I had a couple yomegas back in the day. My most-used model was a lightweight style one without the auto-return. The auto-return models would sometimes return prematurely, before the trick was over. I'd recomend yomega for your first yo yo. I have a fancy ball-bearing yo yo but I forget the brand.

A butterfly shape is actually easier to do tricks with because catching the yo yo on the string extremely easy.

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 95
Well according to the yoyogod video (amazing btw) comments, duncans suck.
The kids had yomegas as a kid, probz just what was bein sold locally.

I want to avoid one that adds pointless weight that doesnt make the yoyo actually better.
The axle on this yoyo my sister gave me (came free with her phone, unfortunately so did skullcandies) doesnt grip the string, so it DOESN'T come back up when it's down, so I'm not entirely sure how a non auto-return one is returned.

(Please forgive my yo-yo noobishness)

Of course if they do return somehow, I'll probz pick up a nice looking butterfly one.

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm no expert, but Yomega isnt that good in my experience (they typically need extensive tightening when you first get them).

Be sure to look around at yoyo review sites, because some yoyos are very hard to use.

Not all Yomegas are bad. I have a 9-10 year old Yomega Firestorm Wing and an equally old Yomega X-Brain Firestorm Wing. The X-Brain featured the auto-clutch system that was very popular back then. Throw it with enough wrist force and it engaged the clutch at the end of the line and started to freespin at the bottom of the line. When it would run out of inertia, it would disengage the clutch and return back to your hand. It was fun at the time, but it got a bit boring quickly unless you were good with string tricks. I loaned it to a friend before I moved back to the US and I'm pretty sure that friend still has it!

The Firestorm Wing stayed with me though. It was a butterfly yo-yo just like the X-Brain above. Now that one, had an interesting roller at the end of the string. Out of the box, it is designed to free spin at the bottom of the line for a long time but requires you to twitch the line ever so carefully to get just the right amount of pull to have to yo-yo come back to you. I never like that as I prefer to just throw a yo-yo and have it return and do so very fast (nice for stress management) so I lightly packed the roller with some cotton to make it less loose on the roller and more tight so it quickly returns to your hand when thrown.

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 95
I have a Henry's Viper. Brilliant little thing, and the rubber-body means it doesn't cause quite the hand-pain it might when it pulls back sharply.

Relatively expensive, but lovely...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back