Yet another headphones recommendation thread ($130 or less)
Aug 27, 2009 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

drmoreau

New Head-Fier
Hello guys!

I have searched threads and noticed there are quite a few folks asking you all for recommendations on headphones...I couldn't find any that matched the criteria I'm after so I've started yet another one!
tongue.gif

Okay, so I've owned a pair of Bose TriPort Around-Ear headphones (not my first choice but I got em for $30 from a friend) for just over a year and they have recently quit working on me (surprise!)...the only thing I liked about these more than others I've tried were the way the cans fit my ears (more oval shaped).

Anyways, I'm now looking for a new pair (hopefully an upgrade), and still being a college student I don't have all that much to spend (no more than $130 but really less than $100 would be ideal if possible)

Let me provide you with what I'm looking for and hopefully some of you could help me out...I listen to a wide variety of music but mostly jazz, ambient/drone, shoegaze, classic/psychedelic rock, funk...I really need them to be closed because I use them in the library often and also when I travel...it would be wonderful if they sound good without an amp as I will be using them with my ipod and laptop...comfort is a big deal as well just because usually I have them on for hours at a time

The other threads recommending closed headphones in this price range seemed favorable to the Denon D1000s, M50s, HD280s, JVC HA-RX700, ATH-AD700 (There were probably more but can't think of any)

So, I guess the point of my whole long thread is...could you recommend me any headphones for my criteria other than those listed above? If not, of those listed are any of them better for listening to jazz, ambient, layered/soundscape type music? Also, are any of them known to be more comfortable than the others? Sorry for the length of the thread but just wanted to try and get every detail mentioned....thanks for any help you can provide...I am greatly appreciative!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 10
I enjoy the AD700s a lot for the types of music you listed, they aren't closed though. They leak a lot of sound so unless you listen at low levels, probably unsuitable for the library environment.

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 10
My recommendation would be to go for something not as big as AD700/A700. It's just not convenient.

Maybe one of the new Shure models, the M50s, or similar 'DJ' models would be best.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for all the quick replies everyone! So it seems like I should be looking for the M50s...There are some on ebay listed as new for about $100 bucks...are these legitimate? I noticed in another thread that there are alot of fakes with a different model of ATs...do you think I would have any problems with this in considering the M50s? Also, does anyone know anything at all about Ultrasone HFi 450s? They are about $100 too and I've heard nothing but good things about Ultrasone sound quality....any experience? Thanks once again, this is about the most helpful board I have ever visited
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back