Yet Another Headphone recommendation thread
Jan 31, 2013 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

foxwoods

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Looking for a set of headphones for work (need to not leak much), most likely over the ear (though if people have good in-ear suggestions, let me know) for roughly $200-300 (open to suggestions of what I could upgrade to). Genres are best defined by bands: Radiohead, Parov Stelar/Koop/Royksopp (as in jazzy electronic), Salsa/Latin. Was thinking of Sennheiser HD 598s. Also, would be nice if an amp is not required, but again I'm flexible on this.

Thanks.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 3
598's are out of the question. Those leak all the sound since they're open phones. 

I'm not sure what the recs sound like, although latin music sounds nice n smooth. From what I can remember from taking spanish last year. Something like Tengo La Camisa Negra? Sorry, only song name that I can remember... or at least was told about/had it said the whole year for a year of spanish. I guess Livin' la vida loca buy Ricky Martin can also be considered latin? From what I can remember, latin tends to be pretty smooth and laid back.

Radiohead for the minute that I listened to it, sounds smooth, too.

As for kpop, I can't say.

But since you want over-the-ear (around ear/not on ear) and want isolation, I think the M-100 might be the way to go. It isolates well and seems to be an all-rounder from what I've read. For bass and isolation.

If you want a bit less isolation, but something more refined (for when you're not in a noisy area), the MDR-1R's are probably the way to go. These are more smooth and laid-back than the M-100 (from what I've heard).

Those are both circum-aural phones. As for in-ears, I think the EX1000 from Sony might do the job (though out of production I think, you can still find some on amazon). Their successor, the XBA-4, was... a flop from what I've seen. 

You can also check the gift guide that was made not-so-long-ago by the gods of head-fi :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back