Yet Another CMoy Thread
Mar 31, 2004 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Stephonovich

Headphoneus Supremus
Yeah, yeah, I know there's WAAAY too many of these, but I figured I might as well add to the chaos
biggrin.gif

As some of you may know, I've been attempting to make a CMoy for the past 1.5-2 years, with no success. I've gone through 6 complete re-builds, trying both Chu's original circuit, and Tangent's modified single opamp one. I've tried the normal RatShack circuit board, and a giant one, thinking it'd be easier. I always thought it was due to my soldering work, or something similar.

The VERY kind MisterX took pity on me and offered to fix it for free, as long as I paid return shipping. Sounded like a great deal to me. Soon after it arrived, he gave his diagnosis. My pot was bad, which was news to me. Also, my LED was bad. Also news to me. Anyway, a couple days later, he wrote back saying it had been fixed. He had had to replace some parts, so I paid him for those, and then it was shipped off. Turns out he basically did a complete re-build. New caps (including larger ones for better bass), a Browndog adapter, new LED, new pot, new jacks, DC input jack... the list goes on. Needless to say, I was floored. The work he did on this was worth much more than what I had paid him.

Anyway, I greedily ripped open the box and hooked it up to the line-out on my D-E551. Right away, I was amazed at the sheer volume this thing was capable of. Turned it down pretty fast, though... let's just say you could easily go deaf from this. About 10 o' Clock on the pot is the maximum I'd ever want to go. With more testing, I started hearing things I'd never heard before in my music. One of my favorite songs, Kevin Max's Dead End Moon, is a slow, complex, layered song. It has the main vocals, his voice again as a background chorus, acoustic guitar, synth, bass, and tons of other things. The bass before was never really noticeable. I'd mainly just hear low end noise. Not any more. Now I can hear when the bassist's sliding, and when he goes to slap bass for a split second. It's incredible. Also, for sheer bass bliss, I tried listening to Eisbrecher's Fanatica. This track starts out with very heavy synth bass. Basically, I found myself enthusiastically bobbing my head up and down
basshead.gif

Anyway, sorry to bore you all with what is no doubt a very common story. But needless to say, if a Discman, CMoy, and 280 Pro's can give this level of quality, I can't wait to see what a MINT or PPA can do...

My heartfelt gratitude goes out to MisterX. He's highly recommended as an amp builder and overall nice guy. Props!

Finally, the requisite pr0n... (his pictures, not mine)

Cheers!

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 1, 2004 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 7
Wanted to add (also bump), I LOVE the AD832AN opamp. I'm running it off of a 12v wallwart right now, and it's awesome. Much clearer than the 134PA, if you ask me. I can only imagine it with buffers and higher voltage.

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 7
My LED almost always worked, even when the amp didn't. Check your solder joints, change opamps, check voltage from + and - to ground... that's about everything I can think of that I tried. If not, MisterX is an awesome dude
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 7
I have a CMOY and had a CHA-47. I have heard a PPA and those amps in my Sig. I have heard a Headroom Max.

While they were definitely superior, they didnt make me feel that the little CMOY was inferior
cool.gif

Right now I have all kinds of stuff that belongs to my friends who have kindly let me audition their gear. Soon I will be left with my SACD Player, CMOY and Grado SR-60 and guess what - I am NOT complaining
600smile.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 7
You say you have a modified CMoy in your profile... modified how? I've heard of people building ÜberCMoys that cost $300 or so, but I can't see how you'd do it.

Anyway, I still want to get a MINT and try that for portable. And a PPA at some point for home. Gotta upgrade...
biggrin.gif
Next on my list is DIY cables, though. Much cheaper.

Apr 2, 2004 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 7
The last cmoy i saw that someone spent $300 on was including tools, ie: soldering station, pliers, screwdrivers, multimeter, etc. Its really really hard to make a cmoy for anything over $100 (even that's high) for a standard configuration cmoy, even for buffered ones, etc.

-ivan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back