Yes Show in Philadelphia!
Nov 9, 2002 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BDA_ABAT

1000+ Head-Fier
Just got back from the Yes concert in Philadelphia. The venue was the Tower theater, a small (~3,000 seat) place just outside the city in Upper Darby.

Quite an experience! Haven't seen them in a while, and I'm very glad I went this time. Aside from playing two new songs, it was old school Yes. This lineup: Anderson, Wakeman, Howe, Squire, White.

The song list included:

South Side of the Sky (AMAZING!!!!!)
Siberian Khatru
Close to the Edge
Heart of the Sunrise
Mood for a Day
We have heaven
Long Distance Runaround/The Fish
Awaken
Don't Kill the Whale (OK, not exactly classic)
Perpetual Change
Roundabout
Starship Trooper

Unfortunately, there were some technical difficulties during the show... don't know exactly what was happening, but Steve Howe's guitar seemed to be competing in the same sonic space as some of Wakeman's keyboards. The result: some guitar notes seemed cancelled out at times. Fortunately, most of the time, Steve was on and easily heard. Just incredible guitar work!

Big issue: during Awaken, Chris Squire's three neck bass apparently shorted (fortunately at the end of the song) . He couldn't touch it without having a nasty static buzz come through the sound system.

The rest of the show, no problems with the various other basses he used. Man can that guy play! Definately a "lead" bassist!!!

Alan White's drumming was top notch. This guy is an animal! Very technical but energetic style. Big, pounding sound, but with more substance and variation than many other drummers. Really amazing to watch and hear.

Wakeman was all over the circle 'o keyboards. I didn't count exactly how many were set up, but I believe at least nine were set up and being used. He was frequently stretching with hands on separate keyboards.

Jon Anderson's voice was... remarkable. He still sounds about the same as he did 30-35 years ago. He had no trouble hitting high notes and had good volume and presence.

Highlight for me had to be South Side of the Sky. WOW! The power and feel of deep bass and pounding drums.... just incredible!

Was also surprised/pleased that Awaken was played. Had been listening to Going for the One on the ride up there and was reminded what a cool song Awaken is. Howe has an amazing solo on the album... a definate must for anyone into guitar.

Before the show, they were selling copies of "In A Word", a 5 disc compilation of the bands work. The bonus was that the included book was signed by the band. Picked one up and paid for it, but then found out that all members had signed except Steve Howe... they were still waiting to get his sig. Unfortunately, I had to drive back to Baltimore and couldn't wait around long after the show. Lef the book with my bro-in-law to see if there was a chance of getting it signed. He waited for ~ 45 minutes before Steve Howe came out! By that time, there were 35 people waiting for this guy to show up and sign all these books. Those that waited got a little extra bonus of getting to meet the man in person. My bro-in-law said he seemed nice, apologetic that people had to wait around for him. Pretty cool!

An excellent and worthwhile show if you are at all into Yes. Highly recommended.

Plus, the music on In a Word (at least the first three discs that I listened to) sounds much better than the non-remixed discs.

Bruce

Nov 12, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 4
Thanks for this update, I've been a Yes fan for a very long time,a nd hadnt realized that the original lineup was playing together again. I'll have to check for further tour info to see if I can catch them.

Nov 12, 2002 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 4
YES - the best album covers ever.

spent hours at Borders listening to Yes, Led Zepplin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, BTO, Boston, The Hollies and the Dobie Brothers.

I just wish i could get my hands on some YES posters
frown.gif

Nov 13, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 4
wallijonn: Yep, spent most of the late 1970's doing the same thing... just not at Borders.
biggrin.gif

This concert was sort of a step back into that time period for me. Was rather nice! Not only good music, but a chance to go back to a time that was pretty carefree (although it didn't SEEM to be so at the time) for me. I heard someone after the concert say something like, "That was like going back to the music I loved in high school!". Actually, was better for me... this time I didn't require any mind altering substances to "experience" the show/music.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back