yeh... recabled K701...
Mar 16, 2006 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ghiberti

100+ Head-Fier
I found these cool pics of mighty K701 at Drew's.

what a damn sexy creature of chronic upgraditis
biggrin.gif

hmmm....

actually, one of'em is mine
rolleyes.gif
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ┌:) ̄∇ ̄)┘

ModAKG701BD1.jpg

ModAKG701BDxlr.jpg

ModAKG701SD.jpg

Mar 17, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 29
Congrats on the K701s and the Black Dragon recable. It looks impressive. Drew does excellent work.

Mar 17, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 29
How much did this cost?

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Crespo
How much did this cost?

Ask Drew (Moon-Audio) for a price quote. Usually, he charges a reasonable amount for the installation/modification. Price for the cable is separate.

IMO, the current K701 cable looks a little cheap for a top-of-the-line headphone and would definitely benefit from one of Drew's offerings!

Does anyone know whether Drew had to widen the hole to allow for a thicker cable to pass through?

May 14, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 29
Drew will recable your K701, balanced or single-sided, and his work looks quite nice.

The only problem is that it's going to set you back $250, excluding postal fees. I purchased my K701 for $280. I'm certain he's charging a reasonable amount for the price of cable and his workmanship, but still....

May 14, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 29
Agreed, seems mighty expensive for a recable like those dragons.

May 21, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
Drew will recable your K701, balanced or single-sided, and his work looks quite nice.

The only problem is that it's going to set you back $250, excluding postal fees. I purchased my K701 for $280. I'm certain he's charging a reasonable amount for the price of cable and his workmanship, but still....

Actually I got a quote for somewhat less than $250 for a 10 ft. single ended Black Dragon upgrade if I sent in my 701's. Try closer to $212 including insured shipping.

YMMV depending on location and maybe a few other details. Going balanced is probably where you'd get closer to $250 or so.

May 21, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 29
$250?? Wow. Quite an upgrade. Curious about two things. How does it compare to the Zu in terms of weight and stiffness? I ask because my wife absolutely hates a dedicated rack so I'm forced to use my entertainment center to house my gear. Where I listen will require a cable in excess of 10' so the weight and stiffness might be an issue for me. It is to a degree with the Zu/650 already.

Second, there would have to be one heckuva sonic improvement to justify that price tag. Hope you'll post impressions of the change/improvements after she breaks in a bit.

May 21, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 29
I imagine the cable would be slightly stiffer, but Techflex weighs next to nothing, and the color and texture is really a perfect match for the K701.

I'd bite if the upgrade were around $150-200 - which seems about the norm for most Senn cable upgrades. Then again, I wonder if I should forego cable upgrading entirely and just splurge for the new Grados, which look like a FOTY.

May 21, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
I imagine the cable would be slightly stiffer, but Techflex weighs next to nothing, and the color and texture is really a perfect match for the K701.

I'd bite if the upgrade were around $150-200 - which seems about the norm for most Senn cable upgrades. Then again, I wonder if I should forego cable upgrading entirely and just splurge for the new Grados, which look like a FOTY.

Probably doesn't mean much, but I've seen several people complain about the APPARENT cheap cable being used on those $1000 Grados. *shrugs*

May 21, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #15 of 29
Second the request for feedback/reviews on the sound. Does the treble sparkle more? More lower bass? More speed in the attack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back