Year Zero: Whos got it?
Apr 18, 2007 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

mwallace573

1000+ Head-Fier
Im sure a lot of people picked this one up today. I have listened to it three times today so far, and I am liking it more as time goes by. Unlike With Teeth, I can't really point out any songs I don't like, and I think some of the songs on this album represent some of his best work (the last two songs come to mind). The packaging is pretty neat, but the actual CD stands out. The cover is made of some kind of material that reacts to heat. The CD is normally completely black, but warm it up, and it brightens up and lots of little design things start to pop up. Nothing fancy, but something I have never seen before regardless. The phone number on the back of the case was a nice touch as well.

Looks like the Rez is back on the right track. It still doesn't match up to his earlier works, but it is much better than his last effort. A step in a new direction if you will. I personally look forward to the follow up to this one.

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 78
Forgot to pick it up today...will do so tomorrow and get back to you.
Glad you like it.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 78
Picked it up earlier today, and from what I have heard so far I have to say it sounds absolutely SICK. So much more solid sounding when compared to his last effort. Kudos Trent.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 78
WOW!!! The CD changes color and is heat sensative!!! This is awesome.

It goes from solid black to white with text!!!

I thought the phone number on the back was funny too!

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like the Rez is back on the right track. It still doesn't match up to his earlier works, but it is much better than his last effort.

That's about where I'm at. It's good to see the noise is back. I would mark this with The Fragile and can dream this is the beginning of another holy trinity similar to PHM, B, and TDS. One can hope can't he?

Edit: I am very disappointed that YZ didn't release with a 5.1 edition. The two NIN albums in 5.1 are awesome. His whole catalog is suited for 5.1. Give it to us!

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 78
LOL...I didn't even notice the reactive element to the disc. I popped it into my computer straight to Exact Audio Copy after a quick 1/4 second glance. I took it out of the computer after reading this and it was charcoal grey, with white sections. Thats a new one on me!

Nine Inch Nails has always done new and experimental packaging. They're the first band I've ever bought to have foldout cardboard cd packaging back in the mid '90s.

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: I am very disappointed that YZ didn't release with a 5.1 edition. The two NIN albums in 5.1 are awesome. His whole catalog is suited for 5.1. Give it to us!

No kidding. He did complete this album in a very short time though. We will probably see some kind of "Special Edition" in the coming months. If I remember correctly, he said something about doing a remaster/5.1 mix of The Fragile on it's 10th anniversary, kinda like how he did with TDS. Keeping my fingers crossed for that one.

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 78
From freerebelart.com:
"the housewives and preachers and even
the police will join us."

I always enjoy vague "lets fight the persecutor" mentality rhetoric followed with unintended prejudicial fodder
redface.gif

This stuff makes for great albums but takes itself too seriously, imho.

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #15 of 78
I've been listening today more, and am starting to like it more. It takes a while for the noise sections to reveal all their detail (like the middle section of The Great Destroyer). But I always liked the noise in NIN, paired alongside the melody, etc. After the chaos of Great Destroyer, there is a soft piano section to Another Version of the Truth. Classic Reznor calling-card.

I suspect this one is going to grow on me more with time. The Downward Spiral and its remix e.p. both grew on me in this fashion, and I think D.S. is my favorite overall, though I am biased towards it for sentimental reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back