Yeah, i'm definitely not an "audiophile"
Jun 1, 2005 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

Headphoneus Supremus
I am sitting here rocking out to my iPod and some sort of Sony earbud. Not sure which model. Can't use my main rig because both my HD650's and Woo3 are out of commision at the moment.

You should have seen the dancing I was doing to my trancey disco mix of the Star Wars theme, or the crazy air-guitarring to Alive by Pearl Jam.

I love music.
eggosmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Everything else is secondary. Even [especially?] the gear.

peace

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
I am sitting here rocking out to my iPod and some sort of Sony earbud. Not sure which model. Can't use my main rig because both my HD650's and Woo3 are out of commision at the moment.

You should have seen the dancing I was doing to my trancey disco mix of the Star Wars theme, or the crazy air-guitarring to Alive by Pearl Jam.

I love music.
eggosmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Everything else is secondary. Even [especially?] the gear.

peace

you are hereby certifyed by iso, ce, ipx, and ul standards to roxor. why are there not more people like you on these boards?

all i can say is pimp.

Jun 1, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
you are hereby certifyed by iso, ce, ipx, and ul standards to roxor. why are there not more people like you on these boards?

Because these people are not SANE, man!!!!

Oooo, Jaws Remix is next. shweet.

Quote:

all i can say is pimp.

damn straight
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
Sanity is overrated. I'm glad you're happy, though. Music should matter more, especially Wagner.

Actually I believe sanity is a beautiful thing: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106090

In light of recent events I see the commonplace definition of "audiophile" as more of a mental disorder (or symptom of mental disorder, rather) than an actual "personality niche". I still have a taste for fine things, so I will still enjoy qualiy music reproduction, but enjoying and requiring are much different
wink.gif

Not that i'm trying to personally insult everyone on this forum, it's just my opinion and you are free to disregard it if you think i'm full of shi*
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #7 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
don't wanna sound mean here man, but are you sure this isn't some mood swing?

hah, yeah. hopefully it's not hypomania
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Thanks for the warning, I will monitor my moods closely this week
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 72
I think--for a majority of folks--it's just a hobby. Audiophiles, sorry to say, are not merely displaced clones of Joseph Kallinger, drooling over Grados, Senns, or Beyers, rather than his fantasies, because Mommy didn't hug them enough. They just like good music, good sound, and have the cash to do something about it.

Jun 1, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #12 of 72
Quote:

I think--for a majority of folks--it's just a hobby. Audiophiles, sorry to say, are not merely displaced clones of Joseph Kallinger, drooling over Grados, Senns, or Beyers, rather than his fantasies, because Mommy didn't hug them enough. They just like good music, good sound, and have the cash to do something about it.

Ah but it is also possible to enjoy what you've got, and put that cash to greater use elsewhere (charity, mortgage, insurance, etc)

Jun 1, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #13 of 72
I can imagine few greater uses for money than the quest to hear certain music as perfectly as possible. Mozart's Requiem, Beethoven's 9th, Mahler's 2d, Wagner's Ring and Tristan und Isolde, and a few others are as close to real perfection as I'll get in this life in the secular world. I see very few costs as too high in the pursuit of enjoyment of those works.

Jun 1, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #14 of 72
Quote:

I can imagine few greater uses for money than the quest to hear certain music as perfectly as possible. Mozart's Requiem, Beethoven's 9th, Mahler's 2d, Wagner's Ring and Tristan und Isolde, and a few others are as close to real perfection as I'll get in this life in the secular world. I see very few costs as too high in the pursuit of enjoyment of those works.

Interesting perspective
smily_headphones1.gif
I hadn't thought of it like that. But then, why not just watch great symphonies perform those works live? (Since live music is the benchmark as audiophiles say)

Jun 1, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #15 of 72
Live music is the most imperfect and distracting thing in the known universe. Take, for example, Wilhelm Furtwangler's 1950 recording of Gotterdammerung at La Scala. It sounds as though it was recorded in a tuberculosis ward, the audience managed to cough throughout the piece. They ruined what was obviously one of the three or four most perfect moments in music with cacophonous coughing. Being there for live performances puts one in a room with other people, who cough, unwrap lozenges and candies, and whisper. That's great for them, but hell for me. I am not there for the social niceties. I am there for the music.

For me, perfect music is the standard. Anything else is nice but non-essential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back