Yanyin Discussion thread
Nov 15, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #2,087 of 2,418
So just an update, I have swapped my set of Moonlight for a Mahina. Shout out to Elise Audio in the UK for making it happen.

At the same time, I have purchased a Qudelix 5k dac/amp. And a set of Comply foams TX500 tips.

I am now pretty happy with this set up and do think the Mahina is definitely a better match than the Moonlight for me.

The bass is now enhanced (fuller, but not excessive) and balanced with the vocals no longer too forward but still keeping the smooth presentation.

It's not a "reference" tuning (slightly higher bass and lower treble) but a very cohesive & enjoyable one.

(PS/Edit: Try playing "Fade into you" by Mazzy Star on the Mahina. Its like it was made to play this track. If you do not like how it sounds, find another iem lol.)

Also, the owner of Elise Audio told me that the Mahina actually uses a different Dynamic Driver than the Moonlight and that Yanyin confirmed it, though he said they never specified what exactly was changed.

So if anyone wants to dig further into this or contact Yanyin directly in China, feel free!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #2,088 of 2,418
I was a big fan of the Monarch Mk2, except the fit was cause some ear discomfort after an hour or so. I ended up selling them, for that reason and because I wasn't getting enough iem usage. Now that the situation has changed i'm shopping for a good replacement and hoping not to go above the 1k mark into u12t range.

I'd been eyeing the mest mk2, the clairvoyance, or perhaps the oracle mk2. Then the Yanyin moonlight comes from nowhere and attracts my attention. As I listen to some pretty different genres, mainly classical music and 80s/90s/modern alternative I would avoid iems that hit high in one area and fall short in others. I also use iems to catch the occassional netflix/tablet show.

Any impressions or comparisons for the moonlight to those other iems would be so very welcome, especially since it's pretty affordable, comparatively.
I finally recieved my Moonlight. Fit comfort will be well, but not for me(( It's good, but not perfect. I think that right earpiace need less then 10mm diameter tips... It's will be good for you if your ears bigger then mine.

For classic rock, 80s/90s songs will be fine. Classics... fantastic. But for me Moonlight is more analitical and dry (don't kill me please), then musical. I prefer my Edition XS and maybe I will sell Moonlight. XS is fantastic enjoying headphones. With them you didn't need think about sound quality, you just listen to music.

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #2,089 of 2,418
I finally recieved my Moonlight. Fit comfort will be well, but not for me(( It's good, but not perfect. I think that right earpiace need less then 10mm diameter tips... It's will be good for you if your ears bigger then mine.

For classic rock, 80s/90s songs will be fine. Classics... fantastic. But for me Moonlight is more analitical and dry (don't kill me please), then musical. I prefer my Edition XS and maybe I will sell Moonlight. XS is fantastic enjoying headphones. With them you didn't need think about sound quality, you just listen to music.
I did get a pair and I'm pretty happy with them. You're right, they are a bit more analytical than the monarch mk2, but the fit and comfort are better for me, and they were half the price of a used pair of monarch. I also listen to a lot of 80's and current alternative as well as classical, so it checks the boxes for my favorites.

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #2,092 of 2,418
So just an update, I have swapped my set of Moonlight for a Mahina.

The bass is now enhanced (fuller, but not excessive) and balanced with the vocals no longer too forward but still keeping the smooth presentation.
I have a Mahina too. A very good effect gives the replacing of the cable.
The included cable cuts the high frequencies quite noticeably, and their beauty and fullness are greatly lost.
A very good effect gives the replacing of that cable with a graphene cable from Xinhs or (better) Kbear - high frequencies becomes better manifested, the bass becomes more filled.

I also replaced the complete eartips by SpiralDot - this also had a very good effect on the sound.

P.S. The replacing of the cable of the Yanyin Canon model gives the same effect.

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #2,093 of 2,418
They missed a trick not discounting the canons
Penon audio had them for sale for 11.11, so I grabbed a set and they arrived a couple days ago. I'm also waiting on my replacement Kinera Norns to arrive to compare them with the Canons. The Norn was a real revelation to me, so clear and revealing.

The Canon has a power to it that I'm enjoying and is great at making music fun.

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #2,094 of 2,418
Penon audio had them for sale for 11.11, so I grabbed a set and they arrived a couple days ago. I'm also waiting on my replacement Kinera Norns to arrive to compare them with the Canons. The Norn was a real revelation to me, so clear and revealing.

Congrats sir, what tuning setting do you prefer so far?!

Nov 24, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #2,095 of 2,418

Would love to see a Canon vs Norn comparison

Nov 25, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #2,096 of 2,418
Congrats sir, what tuning setting do you prefer so far?!
I haven't played too much with the switches, as I've been doing some cable swapping first. I'm a treble / clarity junkie so I'm using 001. I did try the 101 setting, but the Canon already has big bass, so I haven't needed that. I can't say I'm hearing as much sound adjustment with switches as I've read about. Maybe it's because the pins are so tiny that once I've moved them, I can't remember what it sounded like before!!

The stock cable is super nice, very soft, but I'm addicted to listening thru my phone and want the audio and phone and phone controls so I'm limited to a few after-market cables. The Canon 2-pin sockets are super tight!

Nov 25, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #2,097 of 2,418
Would love to see a Canon vs Norn comparison
Yeah, it will be interesting. I'm not a collector, and prefer more of an all-rounder, so I will likely let go of one of the 2. I was really impressed with Norn, but the DD driver in the left ear went out and thankfully Kinera is sending a replacement set from China, so it will likely be 10 days before I get them

I'm not an expert review by any means, but hope to give a decent attempt at comparing them.

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #2,098 of 2,418
I'm now also part of the Moonlight club. Just received them. But it seems like it doesn't matter with which termination you order them, because I got a 2.5mm cable, instead of a 3.5mm cable as requested - a problem a lot of people had before me.

Hopefully customer support can rectify the situation, as Yanyin IEM's are reported to work better with a single-ended cable (due to the low output impedance).

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #2,100 of 2,418
I stepped on my moonlights just replaced them with mahina
I'm now also part of the Moonlight club. Just received them. But it seems like it doesn't matter with which termination you order them, because I got a 2.5mm cable, instead of a 3.5mm cable as requested - a problem a lot of people had before me.

Hopefully customer support can rectify the situation, as Yanyin IEM's are reported to work better with a single-ended cable (due to the low output impedance).
Yeah happened to me for the 3.5 when I got the mahina though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back