Yanyin Discussion thread
Nov 6, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #2,071 of 2,418
The moonlights are easy to drive, but for that, what you have to watch is the output impedance of the source, since they have a low impedance (8ohm) as I said in a previous comment. You don't need a big amp to drive them.

Both Neutron Player and UAPP should work for you on older androids as they work on my DAP running Android 9, and they have excellent PEQs.
Post in thread 'LG V20 Sound Quality' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v20-sound-quality.816024/post-13118227

After much searching, it appears someone did measure the output impedance of my LG v20 phone output at 2.3ohms

That is more than the 1ohm you specified for the Moonlight. This is supposed to have a detrimental effect?

I have no idea what it would be for my computer 3.5mm socket which is what I used last night to do all the EQs.

Typically is lower the output impedance of the source the "higher quality" it is? Or vice versa?

Nov 6, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #2,072 of 2,418
Love the write-up! I did a very similar thing using HBBs squig and similarly settled on HBBs pre-production tuning! Btw I believe there is a EJ07M resin for sale in the Classifieds that was tuned to HBBs pre-production FR and not the production KL. I was very tempted by it but am happy with the IE600.
First of all, both the Senns IE600/900 were kicked off because I didn't like the treble, with IE900 being a much worse offender than IE600. It was a U shape, and the treble was too "spicy", not much of an improvement from my Senn IE300 which I only keep around because I got it half price.
Speaking of the IE600. I also tuned my Moonlight to it and found the treble too hot however I don't experience that with the actual IEM. They did sound similar to each other but the treble sounded grainier and overall brighter with the Moonlight EQed.

As @BrokenHill mentioned, you cannot perfectly replicate an IEM just by EQing its FR. My personal opinion is the bigger the difference in driver setup, the less they will sound the same with EQ. So a the Mahina and Moonlight should sound damn near the same, Moonlight to other tribids should be very close, Moonlight to hybrids and single DDs will probably not be that accurate.
You can try this theory out too by tuning your Moonlight to your IE300 and seeing how close they are.

Nov 6, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #2,073 of 2,418
If there is a portable source with PEQ options, then I could just simply EQ the Moonlight to my liking whenever. My LG V20 is too old and even a basic equaliser will not work due to Android OS being outdated. My current Xiaomi phone is too budget, and headphone circuitry is likely to be poor.
I use the Qudelix 5K which has sufficient power and output impedance for the Moonlight, plus it has built in PEQ. The BTR7 also has built in PEQ and gets good reviews but is slightly less portable and almost twice the cost

Nov 6, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #2,074 of 2,418
Excellent research!
As I said before, not everything is curves. The technical aspects of each IEM cannot be imitated, but you have managed to have a clear idea of what you like or don't, and make decisions about it. My congratulations.

Yeah, on HBB’s squib link, The first HBB kinda lava graph is pre-production. That’s the signature it was supposed to be. More mid bass without losing the sub bass. When it came to actual production Letshouer reduced the sub bass without boosting the midbass. Similar low end curve, just less of it. Some folks were pissed about that, but some liked it. It is/was a limited release, but there’s still some around.

Great write-up! I have the Mahina, sometimes the bass is too much, almost. Haven’t messed around with PEQ with it, sounds like a good idea though
Right, well I've got to go to work soon so I don't have time to relisten to the Moonlight on the desktop.

But I did spend some time listening to the tracks on my subwoofer + speakers. I really should have taken my own advice about the bass level matching from the Celine Dion track because I have found that the subwoofer at 63hz crossover was running too hot at approx 3db. At 12db slope, it will have some impact up to 80hz I think.

So I have reduced the level of my subwoofer by -3db. It is an audible difference to me.

So now the "correct" sound is going to be less bassy than I have been used to. And so from memory last night, the Xenn UP is unlikely to have the correct level of bass response simply because it sounded closest to my old subwoofer running 3db too hot.

That is not to say I didn't think the Mahina or the preproduction Kinda Lava sounded better to me with extra bass. I will listen again when I get back from work.

My observations about not liking treble from 5-9k still stands. This is because on my studio monitors, I have always reduced the tweeter level by -1db, the cross over is 2500hz and the slope is such that the maximum flat cut is reached at approx 5khz and above. I found slightly reducing tweeter level reduced "sizzle" on female voices.

Nov 6, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #2,075 of 2,418
Love the write-up! I did a very similar thing using HBBs squig and similarly settled on HBBs pre-production tuning! Btw I believe there is a EJ07M resin for sale in the Classifieds that was tuned to HBBs pre-production FR and not the production KL. I was very tempted by it but am happy with the IE600.

Speaking of the IE600. I also tuned my Moonlight to it and found the treble too hot however I don't experience that with the actual IEM. They did sound similar to each other but the treble sounded grainier and overall brighter with the Moonlight EQed.

As @BrokenHill mentioned, you cannot perfectly replicate an IEM just by EQing its FR. My personal opinion is the bigger the difference in driver setup, the less they will sound the same with EQ. So a the Mahina and Moonlight should sound damn near the same, Moonlight to other tribids should be very close, Moonlight to hybrids and single DDs will probably not be that accurate.
You can try this theory out too by tuning your Moonlight to your IE300 and seeing how close they are.

I use the Qudelix 5K which has sufficient power and output impedance for the Moonlight, plus it has built in PEQ. The BTR7 also has built in PEQ and gets good reviews but is slightly less portable and almost twice the cost
I will try your suggestion to try and eq the Moonlight to senn ie300. I just need to find a database on Squig that has both the moonlight and IE300 as HBB database does not contain IE300.

The Qudelix 5k seems like an intriguing option. And the price is very affordable. I was looking at a Chord Mojo2 initially which is 4x the price. I just hadn't bought it yet because I didn't want to spend that money if I really didn't like the Moonlight and I wasn't going to waste it amping an IE300.

But from my testing, it does seem that my blind buy without listening is actually mostly accurate as its now sort of between keeping Moonlight, exchange for a Mahina or buying that custom tuned EJ07M from the classified. Only tweaks are very slight vocal changes and a moderate amount increase in the bass

Nov 11, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #2,076 of 2,418
Hi, all, basshead here looking for a home. Came across this thead and interested to hear reviews of the Canon for hiphop/rap genre. Missed out in the OG Monarch and feeling FOMO before Canon is discontinued(?), is the consensus my bass expectations will be met? Thnks in advance!

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #2,077 of 2,418
Hi, all, basshead here looking for a home. Came across this thead and interested to hear reviews of the Canon for hiphop/rap genre. Missed out in the OG Monarch and feeling FOMO before Canon is discontinued(?), is the consensus my bass expectations will be met? Thnks in advance!
Just want to point out that the OG Monarch is 2.5x the price of the Canon. Even it is slightly better, it will not be 250% better. Monarch Mk2 is 3x.

I have not heard either, but I have messed about EQing a set of Moonlight, and how much bass is enough for you depends solely on your own expectations. Are you able to measure how much bass you hear in a speaker and subwoofer setup or are you able to tell us a set of iem / headphones that you have currently that you are satisfied with the level of bass off?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #2,078 of 2,418
True basshead is the
Monarch nor Canon are true basshead. That would go to something like the EX800ST w/ tape mod or eq’d. Canon is still has more bass than most IEMs and I think it excels at hip-hop. However, if you want the cranked up subwoofers in the trunk sound while sitting in the back seat look else where. Canon is more like a well dialed in sub while sitting in the front seat sound that doesn’t drown out or muddy details and vocals.

Nov 11, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #2,079 of 2,418
able to tell us a set of iem / headphones that you have currently that you are satisfied with the level of bass off?
Currently using Sony MH755

if you want the cranked up subwoofers in the trunk sound while sitting in the back seat look else where
Shame; definitely after that more visceral experience

Nov 11, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #2,080 of 2,418
My .02:

Wu-Tang's production quality+bass is beautifully rendered by the Canon, but if you want super-sub bass rattling your inner-ear, I wouldn't go for IEMs in general.

I will sell the Canon thus:

-Crystal clear prominent bass with dips engaged; without dips engaged, a true render of the mastered source - full-bodied and accurate.

- Excellent sound isolation, then you can add foam tips (if you fancy) and both the bass and isolation increase accordingly. I can't hear sh#t with these in, to the point of making me lightly paranoid if I have smoked bud/am on my bike. Truly isolated.

-THESE CAN GET REAL LOUD; with my Qudelix, these badboys crank to levels that astound me WITHOUT ANY muddying, sibilance, or cacophony.

They also respond to EQ and the ergonomic fit is super snug, for me.

Nov 11, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #2,081 of 2,418
Currently using Sony MH755

Shame; definitely after that more visceral experience
So, based on your Sony MH755, and the sound suggested by its frequency response graph, Yanyins will not get you what you seek, if all you want is more of the same.

Instead, the 3 iems on top of my head that corresponds to what you might want would be

Fatfreq Mini / Fatfreq Maestro SE / Symphonium Meteor

I have not heard any of them, but their FR response are indicative of what you might be looking for.

Yanyin bass is tuned to be more accurate than excessive. I'm waiting for a Mahina to come through, which has more bass than the Moonlight and that should be the correct level of bass for what is in the music (it is possible to find that out analytically by going through the music file with studio software). But it is not going to give you more than what it was mixed to be unless you EQ it.

Nov 12, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #2,083 of 2,418
I will sell the Canon thus:

-Crystal clear prominent bass with dips engaged; without dips engaged, a true render of the mastered source - full-bodied and accurate.

- Excellent sound isolation, then you can add foam tips (if you fancy) and both the bass and isolation increase accordingly. I can't hear sh#t with these in, to the point of making me lightly paranoid if I have smoked bud/am on my bike. Truly isolated.
For these reasons I looking forward to my Canon to arrive from across the Pacific! I will soon have my replacement Kinera Norn arrive, so will be selling one of these 2, but I really want the Canon to work for me due to the larger size of the Norn, which makes my 15-30 minutes of falling asleep with IEM in a bit uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back