Yanyin Discussion thread
Sep 16, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #1,951 of 2,418
True enough. It's an SA6 with better bass character (not BA) and clearer more refined electret highs. People tend to really enjoy the bass quantity (not as much the character) and mids of the SA6 but like I said, we're all different and use different associations. Also matches Oriolus Tralli and QDC Gemini curve very well. A bit less midbass than Tralli.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #1,953 of 2,418
In our latest article we check out the Yanyin Moonlight on Headfonia, an article by @Aerosphere . It's a new Recommended Buy
https://www.headfonia.com/yanyin-moonlight-review/

yanyin-moonlight-16.jpg

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #1,957 of 2,418
What is the bore size of the Moonlight? I have a preorder arriving in 2-3 weeks and want to make sure I have a selection of tips.

As I have never used any third market tips for any earphones / iems ever, how do I make sure they fit the piece?

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/mandarines-symbio-w-eartips.html
I measured 5.2mm bore with a 6mm barb in the middle.

I've tried lots of tips and they all fit - the smaller ones just stretch more. I haven't tried the Symbio W, but at 4.5mm I think they would definitely fit.

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,958 of 2,418
I measured 5.2mm bore with a 6mm barb in the middle.

I've tried lots of tips and they all fit - the smaller ones just stretch more. I haven't tried the Symbio W, but at 4.5mm I think they would definitely fit.
So it's not an issue to stretch 3rd party tips that weren't made to measure for a specific model?

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #1,960 of 2,418
Not in my experience. Some stretch helps create a secure fit - I think a 4.5mm tip would actually be loose on a 4.5mm bore.
Thanks for that. I think I will buy those symbio tips in preparation because I've always like foam.

Oh, and is the Moonlight everything the reviews said it would be and dare I whisper it, endgame material?

Sep 27, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #1,961 of 2,418
Thanks for that. I think I will buy those symbio tips in preparation because I've always like foam.

Oh, and is the Moonlight everything the reviews said it would be and dare I whisper it, endgame material?
I would say that yes the Moonlight is endgame material _if_ you enjoy the tuning. It is very natural and I would say vocal centric. Its not a particularly exciting listen but that means it does replay very well with very little coloring imo. Technicalities are great and I believe endgame level. It also takes EQ very well which is how I realized I am more of a V/U shaped person

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #1,962 of 2,418
I would say that yes the Moonlight is endgame material _if_ you enjoy the tuning. It is very natural and I would say vocal centric. Its not a particularly exciting listen but that means it does replay very well with very little coloring imo. Technicalities are great and I believe endgame level. It also takes EQ very well which is how I realized I am more of a V/U shaped person
As it happens I am vocal centric. The first thing I'm going to do when I get it is to play a list of familiar tracks from artists such as Céline Dion, Karen Carpenter, Katie Melua, Minnie Riperton, Sade and Lana Del Rey for a spread of female vocal ranges and backing / instruments from 35hz to whatever.

If it sounds goods on those, then it is highly likely I will be satisfied with the rest. Although I will play some other tracks to test for violin / piano solos (guitar is already in background of many songs anyway) and bass frequencies from 20-35hz where in general for bass I am looking for clean extension and slam when required rather than simply a lot of boom and bloom that colors everything.

While I do listen to a wide variety of music, I don't really do so "critically" across the board. But if my favourite female singers don't sound good, then it'll be a definite thumbs down.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #1,963 of 2,418
As it happens I am vocal centric. The first thing I'm going to do when I get it is to play a list of familiar tracks from artists such as Celion Dion, Karen Carpenter, Katie Melua, Minnie Riperton, Sade and Lana Del Ray for a spread of female vocal ranges and backing / instruments from 35hz to whatever.

If it sounds goods on those, then it is highly likely I will be satisfied with the rest. Although I will play some other tracks to test for violin / piano solos (guitar is already in background of many songs anyway) and bass frequencies from 20-35hz where in general for bass I am looking for clean extension and slam when required rather than simply a lot of boom that colors everything.

While I do listen to a wide variety of music, I don't really do so "critically" across the board. But if my favourite female singers don't sound good, then it'll be a definite thumbs down.
I think you will enjoy the moonlights then. Bass is definitely plentiful when called upon and I think string instruments sound particularly great as well

Oct 2, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #1,964 of 2,418
Oct 2, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #1,965 of 2,418
I agree with 90-95 percent of that review on the Canon. I am still smitten and haven't found an issue with my ears, and I keep tossing new things/questionable fidelities at it.

I look forward to the future of where Yanyin goes; to quote Bill Hicks: "well $h¡# - found my brand!"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back