Yanyin Discussion thread
Aug 12, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #1,846 of 2,418
I was listening to my Vortex the other night, and I switched it out on the cable for the Moonlight. I'm listening all night, and it sounds off, and I'm crestfallen; I''m thinking, 'is this part of the burn in?'..It all just went flat. Then at the end of the night I take them out, and the vortex was still on the left side, and the Moonlight was on the right side...all night, I'm sayin, this dont sound right! HA! never did that before... :)

Aug 13, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #1,847 of 2,418
I was listening to my Vortex the other night, and I switched it out on the cable for the Moonlight. I'm listening all night, and it sounds off, and I'm crestfallen; I''m thinking, 'is this part of the burn in?'..It all just went flat. Then at the end of the night I take them out, and the vortex was still on the left side, and the Moonlight was on the right side...all night, I'm sayin, this dont sound right! HA! never did that before... :)
How does Moonlight look compared to Vortex? Are they very different? 😃

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #1,848 of 2,418
How does Moonlight look compared to Vortex? Are they very different? 😃
Oh, yeah, the Moonlight has much forward mids, the vortex is more in front of you, tho the vortex can use some more depth, but nonetheless, the vortex tuning is very sophisticated and has the Penon house soun; lush, almost euphonic mids, great texture, layering...and well, the depth could be better, but the mids are just luscious. Its very musical and engaging, its easy to get lost in the music. The Moonlight on the other hand, the mids just seem to be a tad to hot for me, i'm waiting for the delivery of the 3.5mm Moonlight stock cable, and I'll try it on 3.5mm see if it sounds better. I may end up selling the Moonlights.

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #1,849 of 2,418
Enjoying the Mahina...

Attachments

• 20220813_180419.jpg
    20220813_180419.jpg
    852 KB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #1,850 of 2,418
Aug 15, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #1,852 of 2,418
I took Moonlight from the mail. So far, I have turned on the headphones for burning. Let them play for a day. The headphones themselves are ergonomically comfortable, made just fine, have the restrained beauty of the night sky, and are already familiar with the complete cable.
Great, we'll be waiting for your impressions.

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #1,853 of 2,418
Great, we'll be waiting for your impressions.
Apparently, I don't have enough patience to warm up. Moonlight play cleanly. HF is enough. They are not veiled. EST the driver here was prepared conscientiously. I was just expecting soapy HF, as it usually happens, but fortunately I didn't hear it. I listen to all kinds of metal. Moonlight in conjunction with QLS361 and Cowon R2 play a driving and evil. The bass is gorgeous, no excess with good control and speed. You can hear the speaker playing. :)
I am extremely pleased with the headphones. I'll write something sensible a little later.

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #1,854 of 2,418
Apparently, I don't have enough patience to warm up. Moonlight play cleanly. HF is enough. They are not veiled. EST the driver here was prepared conscientiously. I was just expecting soapy HF, as it usually happens, but fortunately I didn't hear it. I listen to all kinds of metal. Moonlight in conjunction with QLS361 and Cowon R2 play a driving and evil. The bass is gorgeous, no excess with good control and speed. You can hear the speaker playing. :)
I am extremely pleased with the headphones. I'll write something sensible a little later.
See now? You was worried for no reason.

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #1,857 of 2,418
Because I've already been fed enough terrible headphones. I listened to at least a little of all sorts, but with decent and well-tuned headphones it became lucky only like a year ago.
That's great. This just proves that conclusions about the sound can only be made after listening to it. I can only congratulate you on a successful purchase.

Aug 17, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #1,858 of 2,418
Aug 17, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #1,859 of 2,418
I've been exposing myself to the Mahina for the past couple of days and, truth be told, it's one of the best purchases I have made in this hobby so far for a handful of reasons.

1) The fit is perfectly fine (one of the smallest tribrid footprints available)
2) The price, although steep for many, is totally justified and I would dare to call this a value set
3) The sound

Instead of breaking down the sound characteristics, let's just say that the Mahina is a monitor you can listen for hours upon hours, without sacrificing anything from the presentation -and when I say anything, I mean it. I find myself listening to it for longer periods compared to anything I have owned in the past (both thanks to the fit and the inoffensive sound).

My only nitpick would be that on certain tracks, vocals can be a bit too in your face thus leading to minor sibilance. However, this could be source or tip dependent.
Generally, vocals sit quite up front but are not harsh by any means, so I'm totally nitpicking here.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the Mahina and I'd be glad to help.

Aug 17, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #1,860 of 2,418
I've been exposing myself to the Mahina for the past couple of days and, truth be told, it's one of the best purchases I have made in this hobby so far for a handful of reasons.

1) The fit is perfectly fine (one of the smallest tribrid footprints available)
2) The price, although steep for many, is totally justified and I would dare to call this a value set
3) The sound

Instead of breaking down the sound characteristics, let's just say that the Mahina is a monitor you can listen for hours upon hours, without sacrificing anything from the presentation -and when I say anything, I mean it. I find myself listening to it for longer periods compared to anything I have owned in the past (both thanks to the fit and the inoffensive sound).

My only nitpick would be that on certain tracks, vocals can be a bit too in your face thus leading to minor sibilance. However, this could be source or tip dependent.
Generally, vocals sit quite up front but are not harsh by any means, so I'm totally nitpicking here.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the Mahina and I'd be glad to help.
How can it handle complex and busy stuff? Listen to metal mostly, do you think it can work for that? I was almost set on ISN h50 or Moonlight(mostly cuz Canon was already good, easy to drie and fitting really well, so like you said Mahina/Moonlight is really good option for small tribrid) I'm a bit unsure about the the vocals you mentioned...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back