Yanyin Discussion thread
Jul 18, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #1,684 of 2,418
Can any of you compare Moonlight to Kinda Lava or the Thieaudio tribrids (e.g. Oracle)? I'm considering this as my next set since I find KL a bit on the boring end of things.
I did compare to Monarch MK2 , it's on par with it. Moonlight have more textured bass ( Bio dynamic driver) compare to Monarch MK2. MMk2 have more resolving mid frequency. Both treble area sounds on par to me.

Jul 20, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #1,685 of 2,418
Can someone expand on the real differences between the Moonlight and the ibasso IT07.
My plan is to acquire the Shanling M7, this has less than one ohm impedance on it's balanced output, judging by what I've read here this should be fine provided the gain is set to low or is the current consensus to utilize the SE output unilaterally?

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #1,686 of 2,418
Can someone expand on the real differences between the Moonlight and the ibasso IT07.
My plan is to acquire the Shanling M7, this has less than one ohm impedance on it's balanced output, judging by what I've read here this should be fine provided the gain is set to low or is the current consensus to utilize the SE output unilaterally?

IT07 is a traditional reference tuned U shaped IEM with a 8Khz spike and a stout sub bass presence. It is not as balanced as the Moonlights, relies more on its 8Khz presence for clarity with a moderate amount of upper mids presence. Moonlights are equal in all parts of its sound presentation so again much more balanced in presentation vs the IT07. Technical wise both are excellent there but IT07 has just a bit more in the way of stage, sub bass rumble/ bass extension/ brawn vs the Moonlights more even keeled bass presentation. IT07 has a touch more sparkle to its treble presentation with a bit more brightness for the upper registers. Tonality isnt bright per se but you can tell that 8Khz spike is there. Both sets have excellent treble extension.

Both sets have really great imaging but it is the IT07 that has a bit more coloration to its tuning albeit done tastefully. Moonlight mids have more body is a touch more forward in the mix vs the IT07s due to the tuning difference. I would say Moonlight is the better value vs the IT07 as I put both sets on equal levels of SQ, but with the Moonlights being $250 less.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #1,688 of 2,418
M7 should match up extremely well both single ended and balanced. Anything under 1 ohm is perfect for the moonlight.

I own the older Shanling M6 pro and I can listen to it in balanced just fine. One thing I know about Shanling is that they keep on improving their noise floor on their DAPs. You can safely use balanced out of the M7.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #1,691 of 2,418
Hey, if I wanted to buy the Yanyin Canon at a discount (not used), when should I look out for? Do all iems go on a good sale at a certain time?
The most obvious sale is 11.11, but that's 3.5 months away.
Periodically there are smaller sale events, but not all sellers participate with significant discounts.

Currently, there is Canon at 320$ from a store with decent ratings - may not be worth waiting for 11.11: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004069450333.html

Jul 21, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #1,693 of 2,418
Below is my round about way to sum up my thoughts on the Moonlight. Without getting into its technicalities. Take this extremely lightly as I think the Moonlight is phenomenal and I’m seriously enjoying it. Almost more so than any IEM I’ve heard.

Of all my IEMs XENNS Up has been around the longest and made all my purges. Being favored over many giants like the U12T, Monarch MKII and Mest MKII. There’s something special about it’s presentation that nothing has compared to. OG Tea is my newest arrival before the Moonlight came in. From first listen it feel right into Up territory. No matter what IEM I listen to nothing makes me forget their sound.

Funny enough though I can’t seem to find anything special or a remeberal signature on the Moonlight. I do think it represents one of the best, smoothest, detailed and balanced presentations to date I’ve heard. Bass is just right, imaging staging are great and treble is perfectly airy. Everything exist as a phenomenal cohesive tuning. I can’t find anything on it that I’d say is missing or isn’t enough except the special sauce . Hits every other point and all genres to near perfection for my taste.

My only issue and it’s extremely minuscule is back to the special sauce. Ultimately for me that will probably be it’s crutch as further releases come along. I just don’t think it has anything that another IEM at a later time will make me look back on and remember my time under the Moonlight. For now though it is slowly creeping up as my favorite all around IEM to date.
This actually entices me more than a super duper, blows me away type of review. I want my transducers to simply get out of the way. I like my S8s with Complys so the pinna gain is lessened plus a snappy cable but they still have a bit too much low bass balance. Moonlight looks a more even bas to mid transition with enough highs for those stats to stay relevant.:ksc75smile:

How coherent are they? I seem to be sensitive to phase/time domain. Something I really enjoy about the S8.

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #1,694 of 2,418
hi all!

I think just a few of you watch reviews in russian, but still it may be interesting for someone to know that a new canon review has been released.
the overview is especially interesting because it includes graphs and comparisons of all eight switch settings (from 000 to 111).

if anyone is interested, I can post these graphs here

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #1,695 of 2,418
hi all!

I think just a few of you watch reviews in russian, but still it may be interesting for someone to know that a new canon review has been released.
the overview is especially interesting because it includes graphs and comparisons of all eight switch settings (from 000 to 111).

if interested, I can give these graphs here
Easy to generate English subtitles in settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back