Yanyin Discussion thread
Jul 14, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #1,651 of 2,418
Yanyin did a great job in matching up its cable for the Moonlights. I dont find other cables to actually enhance the Moonlight but more of a subtle effect on its base tuning than anything. Cadmus brings out a bit more neutralty on the Moonlghts, enhances their stage perception a touch with increased black space which is the effect of UPOCC used for the Cadmus cores. It sounds fantastic with the IFI Grphon which is a slightly warmer sunding source.

Man, you ain't kidding... they really did. The main thing I hear negatively with the other two cables is a compression of soundstage space, everything gets noticeably more boxed in compared to the airiness of the stock one. The LC-RE cable doesn't have this sense, and keeps up with the stock one sonically. I had to do a lot of back and forth to get to this observation though, and I don't like doing that very long with 2-pin IEMs as the sockets can loosen up too much. So I try to quickly decide which sounds the best to my ears then stick with it and leave that cable on. If the Cadmus doesn't seem to help sonically over the LC-RE, I may try it on the Vortex.

As an aside, music speaking, I was just listening to Karma Police on OK Computer with the Moonlight, and it sounded so damn good. I haven't enjoyed a song on OK Computer like that in a long time. That album is one of the ones I use to test how fleshed out midrange is (or lack of, in poorer tunings) because the recording can come across as really thin and flat sounding on the wrong earphone. Moonlight gets it very right, and I can enjoy the album and its brilliance in a bigger scale than many IEMs are able to portray.

Jul 14, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #1,653 of 2,418
Jul 14, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #1,654 of 2,418
My problem is they sent me the balanced cable i needed the se is there an adapter to increases impedance or something?
They sent me the SE cable, having ordered the balanced 4.4, but Penon has a great customer service.

Better than increasing the impedance of the IEM, it would be better to know the output impedance of your source. There is an unwritten rule that headphones have at least 8 times the source impedance. If your balanced output is 1 ohm, you won't need anything and you can use balanced cables. My RU6 has exactly that impedance and I can assure you that I am enjoying it a lot in balanced.

Jul 14, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #1,655 of 2,418
Man, you ain't kidding... they really did. The main thing I hear negatively with the other two cables is a compression of soundstage space, everything gets noticeably more boxed in compared to the airiness of the stock one. The LC-RE cable doesn't have this sense, and keeps up with the stock one sonically. I had to do a lot of back and forth to get to this observation though, and I don't like doing that very long with 2-pin IEMs as the sockets can loosen up too much. So I try to quickly decide which sounds the best to my ears then stick with it and leave that cable on. If the Cadmus doesn't seem to help sonically over the LC-RE, I may try it on the Vortex.

As an aside, music speaking, I was just listening to Karma Police on OK Computer with the Moonlight, and it sounded so damn good. I haven't enjoyed a song on OK Computer like that in a long time. That album is one of the ones I use to test how fleshed out midrange is (or lack of, in poorer tunings) because the recording can come across as really thin and flat sounding on the wrong earphone. Moonlight gets it very right, and I can enjoy the album and its brilliance in a bigger scale than many IEMs are able to portray.
In my case, after a few tests, I have stayed with the ISN G4 and I am enjoying it very much.

Jul 14, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #1,657 of 2,418
They sent me the SE cable, having ordered the balanced 4.4, but Penon has a great customer service.

Better than increasing the impedance of the IEM, it would be better to know the output impedance of your source. There is an unwritten rule that headphones have at least 8 times the source impedance. If your balanced output is 1 ohm, you won't need anything and you can use balanced cables. My RU6 has exactly that impedance and I can assure you that I am enjoying it a lot in balanced.
I have a btr5 so 2ohm balanced

Jul 14, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #1,659 of 2,418
I think I might replace the btr5 thinking about shanling up 5 is Output Impedance is half the btr5 or possibly ru6 or questyle m15 any recommendations?
Dun have M15, prefer RU6 on Moonlight then my M6 Pro dap.

Jul 14, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #1,661 of 2,418
I think I might replace the btr5 thinking about shanling up 5 is Output Impedance is half the btr5 or possibly ru6 or questyle m15 any recommendations?
Xduoo Link2 Bal is really good for $150 and SE OI is practically 0.

Jul 14, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #1,663 of 2,418
Not sure if I can spend 329 for the ru6 or m15 is 229 here for up5
Save up, get a taste of R2R NoS dac if you haven't yet.

Jul 15, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #1,665 of 2,418
Yeah I think ru6 it is
The RU6 is a great combo with the Moonlight that you won't regret, but take steps. If the balanced cable has arrived, and you ordered the SE, talk to the store first to see if they can fix it for you. Then over time, you can look at other sources, but if it's a store error, you shouldn't have to spend more money because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back