Yanyin Discussion thread
Jul 2, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #1,546 of 2,418
Yeah just saw that yanyin x hbb mahina
This is hugely compelling. The Moonlight has sounded pretty end-gamey, but I'm realizing I do like a little more bass than natural. That graph looks like a very tasteful application of that. I have some big names waiting in my mailbox when I get back to the US that I am very excited to try. But if none of them quite deliver the all round balance of strengths I'm looking for, then a last desperate shot I have in mind is to sell everything and see if that's enough to cover a Moonlight (or now, Mahina). It won't be anything that can happen any time soon though.

EDIT: Thought I'd save people time finding the visual comparison:

One thing I'm not sure about in the tuning of either is the almost 5k peak. For me it has been a dealbreaker on so many sets. Admittedly this is just a little ahead of 5k not a true 5k peak, it's not extreme, and there are lower freqs that are higher. But I do tend to hear it in things. Even the Vernus which has several peaks and 5k isn't the highest, I feel like it affects vocals for me. It was the chief flaw (to my ears/preferences) of the BQEYZ Autumn - definitely more a pronounced case there of course. Can't stand the CCA CRA for a minute.

graph.png

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #1,547 of 2,418
Pulled the trigger of the Moonlight order. It will either be a headshot or a hit on target, as Canon is very cool tuned. If I'm not lucky, I'm done with this hobby. Stop pouring money in already - this process is endless.
Canon is the a good place to retire :relaxed:
Just like Pro 82/GM200 cured me from buying other headphones, Canon seems to stop my IEM buying spree so far.

Jul 2, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #1,548 of 2,418
One thing I'm not sure about in the tuning of either is the almost 5k peak.
Pretty sure the Vortex has a bigger peak there than the Moonlight, and you seem to have no problem enjoying the former!

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #1,550 of 2,418
Makes me wish I waited a little bit but I guess guess I could make moonlight mahina with auto eq?
Let Moonlight stay with its own, unique setting.. There are already models with an equalizer. Let Mahina have a little more mass impact on the charts, in Moonlight, theoretically, the sound of this frequency section will already depend on the recording itself.. How many low frequencies there will be in the recording - that's how much you will hear. When the basses load the rest of the frequencies, it is extremely unpleasant to hear.. Everything should be in moderation. It was in Yanyan Canon that we achieved such a result in tuning. Even if they have a great bass impact, they do not overshadow the other frequencies.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #1,551 of 2,418
Had a hunch the Moonlight would complement my Vortex and oh boy it paid off. The Moonlight plays at a totally different level.

The Vortex has excellent technicalities for its price as it is; the Moonlight is at once much more refined, head and shoulders above with its imaging and separation.

The Moonlight’s treble is expressed not as glare or even brightness but as micro detail and positional cues. ESTs can take a bit of waking up but these are here from the get go. The treble is non-fatiguing as many have already noted, but in the Moonlight’s case, it does not come at the expense of extension, detail or presence. Same goes for the entire frequency range. Everything is there to present as complete a picture as possible of the music.

Like several others have also mentioned, I have difficulty imagining where to go after this without a substantial step up in financial outlay.

And no, I don’t regret getting this even with the Mahina just announced. I literally wouldn’t change any part of its tuning.

The one thing I had been a little bit unsure about was how the Moonlight was going to play with my sources as it has such low output impedance. Needn’t have worried. It sounds glorious straight out of my phone through the Apple dongle. Low or medium gain on the DTR 1+ and N3 Pro.

And if I were to do this again I might have just gone single-ended from the start. Yes, I know @Dsnuts said so. Anyway it’s pretty much the only thing I’d do differently.

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #1,552 of 2,418
And no, I don’t regret getting this even with the Mahina just announced. I literally wouldn’t change any part of its tuning.
Yep.

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #1,553 of 2,418
Had a hunch the Moonlight would complement my Vortex and oh boy it paid off. The Moonlight plays at a totally different level.

The Vortex has excellent technicalities for its price as it is; the Moonlight is at once much more refined, head and shoulders above with its imaging and separation.

The Moonlight’s treble is expressed not as glare or even brightness but as micro detail and positional cues. ESTs can take a bit of waking up but these are here from the get go. The treble is non-fatiguing as many have already noted, but in the Moonlight’s case, it does not come at the expense of extension, detail or presence. Same goes for the entire frequency range. Everything is there to present as complete a picture as possible of the music.

Like several others have also mentioned, I have difficulty imagining where to go after this without a substantial step up in financial outlay.

The one thing I had been a little bit unsure about was how the Moonlight was going to play with my sources as it has such low output impedance. Needn’t have worried. It sounds glorious straight out of my phone through the Apple dongle. Low or medium gain on the DTR 1+ and N3 Pro.

And if I were to do this again I might have just gone single-ended from the start. Yes, I know @Dsnuts said so. Anyway it’s pretty much the only thing I’d do differently.
Sounds like some of us can finally find some peace for a pocket and in the search! Will be looking for comparison between Moonlight and Mahina that sub bass lift on Mahina is a sweetspot for me.

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #1,554 of 2,418
Sounds like some of us can finally find some peace for a pocket and in the search! Will be looking for comparison between Moonlight and Mahina that sub bass lift on Mahina is a sweetspot for me.
With Moonlight being pretty close to endgame for a few of us, I’m wondering how many people are going to have both to compare them with though!

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #1,555 of 2,418
Oh and tips! If you want to dig up a bit more sub bass, try ePros. Settled on those for now. I have some Crystals on the way though so we’ll see if that changes things.

Penon also threw in a bunch of these anonymous white tips with the Moonlight. They are shaped and feel a bit like ePros, although not identical. They sound a smidge leaner but are otherwise fairly close. I quite like them as well.

353DE843-F526-4E4F-AB71-FC96052A3E54.jpeg

(They also threw in a good looking interconnect made with what looks like the OS849 cable but I haven’t had the opportunity to try it… with the Moonlight and Vortex on constant rotation, the amps have been sitting around doing absolutely nothing.)

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #1,556 of 2,418
Moonlight ordered, couldn't hold off anymore.... Hoping I enjoy it as much as others here in this thread. If so, I may sell off a couple current IEMs. Namely the Serial and EST50, as they'd be redundant for me. I'd most likely keep the Timeless since it is such a unique earphone in terms of design, value for $$, and represented sound quality for that retail (even though the sound quality on its own merit is definitely eclipsed by the Vortex).

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #1,560 of 2,418
I have the TRI TK2 and Xduoo Link2 Balanced. I don't found how many OI ( output impedance ) they have in ohm.
Are You recommend this two dacs for the Yanyin Canon ?
Link2 Bal is fine for the Canon using SE (I use this pairing myself) but the OI of the balanced output is 1.X IIRC, so given the rule of eighths and the 8 ohms of the Canon I would't recommend running balanced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back