Yanyin Discussion thread
Jul 1, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #1,531 of 2,418
Hey dude... great comments on the Moonlight. I'm kind of tempted to try it out. With so much enjoyment coming from the Penon Vortex though, I'm wondering if the Moonlight is kind of redundant in offering a similar level of technicality (I consider the Vortex absurdly competent in technicalities while still offering great musicality and tone), or does it pull ahead somewhat? I've been in a good place for quite a long time with the EST50, but truth be told I like the Vortex better already. Curious how the Moonlight fits in the mix of current company. Thanks in advance!
Vortex does have absurdly good technicalities as you mentioned but still the Moonlight has notably better imaging and a more musical presentation in my opinion. On the other hand of course the Vortex wins for coherence and timbre. More fatiguing in the treble though, the Moonlight is really good for treble quality without fatigue as others have been noting. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #1,532 of 2,418
This is actually one of my motivations for ordering Moonlight, as I am extremely sensitive to some treble spikes. I love air and sparkle, but can't stand harsh or too strong peaks that can get grating to my ears. I do take care of my ears and don't listen to any high SPLs (or for only short time periods, and use earplugs when working at concert venues). Know that everyone has different tastes, but some tuning preferences make me wonder if some have loss of hearing in that upper octave and want compensation.
I'm pretty stoked that Moonlight will be "just right" instead of a tuning preference for some.
Its not just its treble but the entire sound that is refined. There is no part of the sound that is 2nd tier on the Moonlight presentation. Look forward to your take on them.

Hey dude... great comments on the Moonlight. I'm kind of tempted to try it out. With so much enjoyment coming from the Penon Vortex though, I'm wondering if the Moonlight is kind of redundant in offering a similar level of technicality (I consider the Vortex absurdly competent in technicalities while still offering great musicality and tone), or does it pull ahead somewhat? I've been in a good place for quite a long time with the EST50, but truth be told I like the Vortex better already. Curious how the Moonlight fits in the mix of current company. Thanks in advance!

I would look at the Moonlight as a fail if it didn't best a $200 earphone, albeit a very highly performing one. I know a few folks now that own both sets and I can honestly say they both are excellent at their respective price points. Moonlights are less colored in its tuning vs the EST50. EST50 with its bass presentation is the disco of Tribrids. The Moonlights are elegant sounding from bass to treble. It is more reference in how it is tuned. Its balancing is one of the best if not the best I have encounterd on any IEM including the Vortex. Micro detailing, balanced, refinements in each part of the sound is the Moonlight. If your asking me if it would be worth getting as you already own the Vortex and EST50.

Yes, absolutely. You have a highly performing single dynamic in the Vortex. How about an extremly high performing tribrid in the Moonlight. Differently tuned, different levels if IEM performance. Penon sound vs Yanyin. EST50 actaully compliment the Moonlight more than being anything really similar.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #1,533 of 2,418
So I’ve gotta say that even though Yanyin might have skimped a bit by only including one set of tips with the Canon and the Moonlight, they still clearly put a lot of effort into including the right tips. I’ve tiprolled extensively with both IEMs now and settled on the stock tips for both.

Jul 1, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #1,534 of 2,418
Wow, thanks Dsnuts and KutuzovGambit! That all helps in understanding the level it plays at. I'll probably cave sometime soon and order a set.... Ohhhhh this hobby....

Jul 1, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #1,535 of 2,418
Many times, in our hobby, a small improvement requires a large investment. Listening to the moonlight I have a feeling that it would take a huge investment to improve this. I have a limit of what is reasonable for me to spend on an IEM, and it has given me the peace of mind of not needing to expand the collection (the Vortex arrives next week... 🙄)

Jul 1, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #1,536 of 2,418
Many times, in our hobby, a small improvement requires a large investment. Listening to the moonlight I have a feeling that it would take a huge investment to improve this. I have a limit of what is reasonable for me to spend on an IEM
Totally agree. Hard to imagine what it would take to dethrone the Moonlight as my endgame.

Jul 1, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #1,537 of 2,418
Can't wait for Moonlight - I'm really curious to hear how it performs vs much more expensive sets, diminishing returns I'm discovering more and more is a very real thing, especially the higher you go... hence a decision recently to sell the Elysian X, and use the proceeds towards this and a few other toys. Plus more importantly, kept my wife happy by putting some money back in the bank!

Jul 1, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #1,540 of 2,418
:sob:I can't decide which one to get: EJ07M or Moonlight. Please help me.
EJ07M: More reviews with very good ratings. Shuoer has a discord server and great customer support. On HBB's graph, looks like this has more bass and treble than Moonlight.

Moonlight: Less known company (I know they are well-regarded workshop makes CIEM). Not active even on Weibo. I'm wondering about the bass quality(impact) and treble quality of this IEM.

Jul 1, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #1,541 of 2,418
:sob:I can't decide which one to get: EJ07M or Moonlight. Please help me.
EJ07M: More reviews with very good ratings. Shuoer has a discord server and great customer support. On HBB's graph, looks like this has more bass and treble than Moonlight.

Moonlight: Less known company (I know they are well-regarded workshop makes CIEM). Not active even on Weibo. I'm wondering about the bass quality(impact) and treble quality of this IEM.
Option #3 - Canon :jecklinsmile:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yanyin-discussion-thread.958874/page-64#post-16893653
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shuoer-impressions-thread.916267/page-229#post-16812218
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yanyin-discussion-thread.958874/page-66#post-16926664

Jul 1, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #1,542 of 2,418
Jul 1, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #1,543 of 2,418
This is my thinking too. I’ve been interested in the EJ07M for sure and wonder how the Moonlight compares. The Canon is also very interesting. It has quite a solid following.

There’s a HBB x Yanyin fr graph on HBB’s squiglink now which looks to be a moonlight with slightly elevated mid and sub bass. Not sure when that’s happening, but that might be what you’re looking for. I’m interested

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #1,544 of 2,418
There’s a HBB x Yanyin fr graph on HBB’s squiglink now which looks to be a moonlight with slightly elevated mid and sub bass. Not sure when that’s happening, but that might be what you’re looking for. I’m interested
Yeah just saw that yanyin x hbb mahina

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back