Yanyin Discussion thread
Jun 30, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #1,517 of 2,418
Canon landed today. Amazing. The Canon is playing at the same price point as my erstwhile favorite the LZ A7 (admittedly the A7 is a good bit cheaper when AE does their bigger sales) but beats it solidly on all counts for my preferences. Incredibly coherent, excellent tuning (default 123 switch config), outstanding technicalities with excellent detail and holographic imaging, and timbre is even approaching DD-level of accuracy. Gets much closer generally speaking to the Moonlight than price would indicate as well, and even wins on tuning versatility due to the switches (which I haven’t played with yet).

Easily my number one rec at the $300-ish price range, assuming this isn’t too much of “new toy syndrome.” Definitely solidifying my decision to retire from the hobby (at least for a good long time) after I finish my Vortex and Moonlight reviews. Incredibly impressed with Yanyin right now.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #1,518 of 2,418
Jun 30, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #1,519 of 2,418
Canon landed today. Amazing. The Canon is playing at the same price point as my erstwhile favorite the LZ A7 (admittedly the A7 is a good bit cheaper when AE does their bigger sales) but beats it solidly on all counts for my preferences. Incredibly coherent, excellent tuning (default 123 switch config), outstanding technicalities with excellent detail and holographic imaging, and timbre is even approaching DD-level of accuracy. Gets much closer generally speaking to the Moonlight than price would indicate as well, and even wins on tuning versatility due to the switches (which I haven’t played with yet).

Easily my number one rec at the $300-ish price range, assuming this isn’t too much of “new toy syndrome.” Definitely solidifying my decision to retire from the hobby (at least for a good long time) after I finish my Vortex and Moonlight reviews. Incredibly impressed with Yanyin right now.
Very interested to hear which tunings you'll like most.
IMHO, the 111 tuning is the least coherent and accurate timbre-wise from the tunings I've tried, so you may end up liking Canon even more than you already do :L3000:

Jun 30, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #1,521 of 2,418
010 is nice but hitting too close to the Moonlight FR which just does that type of tuning better IMO. I bought the Canon for some variety in tuning so I doubt I’ll be using that one much.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #1,523 of 2,418
Moonlight shipped... now for the frantic tracking refreshing to begin - which I'm sure you all know, helps it get here faster :)

Jul 1, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #1,524 of 2,418
OK, I'm in with Moonlight! 🌚 Ordered (from Penon) and shipped yesterday.
My biggest concern is still the fit for my smallish ears, but with the reviews and comments, believe the tuning is exactly what I have been searching for. Those with LZ A7, Moonlight much bigger shell-wise? It does look more ergonomic with lines and curves, so hoping it fits me okay if shell isn't much bigger overall.
The wait begins...

Jul 1, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #1,525 of 2,418
There is some desire to order Moonlight, but the description of high frequencies as "natural and calm" bothers. Basically, this is what headphones with muted high frequencies are called, and I don't see anything natural in this. Headphones should sound well and clearly in this range, and not be muted. I had enough deaf headphones, which I was happy to get rid of in a hurry.. I have no way to hear anything and it remains to focus only on general user reviews. I would not like to lose 650 dollars.

Jul 1, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #1,526 of 2,418
OK, I'm in with Moonlight! 🌚 Ordered (from Penon) and shipped yesterday.
My biggest concern is still the fit for my smallish ears, but with the reviews and comments, believe the tuning is exactly what I have been searching for. Those with LZ A7, Moonlight much bigger shell-wise? It does look more ergonomic with lines and curves, so hoping it fits me okay if shell isn't much bigger overall.
The wait begins...
It is probably the IEM that has the best fit among the ones I own. I have big ears and don't usually have a problem, but these are quite small for everything inside them, and they fit very well.

Jul 1, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #1,528 of 2,418
There is some desire to order Moonlight, but the description of high frequencies as "natural and calm" bothers. Basically, this is what headphones with muted high frequencies are called, and I don't see anything natural in this. Headphones should sound well and clearly in this range, and not be muted. I had enough deaf headphones, which I was happy to get rid of in a hurry.. I have no way to hear anything and it remains to focus only on general user reviews. I would not like to lose 650 dollars.
Moonlight highs are what I consider very refined. Extended meaning your going to hear every nuanced detail of the treble the reason why they are easier on the ears is Yanyin did not use a spike gimmick to portray a natural treble. Trebles are not forced in the balancing here.

I much prefer this angle of treble balancing vs having too much in the 8Khz or even a 10Khz spike to bring on artificial treble shimmer. Believe me there is nothing muted on the Moonlight. I have done reviews for just about every Tansio Mirai earphone and just about all their earphones are tuned with a bit of a treble exaggeration. Not just Tansio phones but perhaps a majority of IEMs to be honest.

I am very well familiar with treble tunging tactics I call it to bring out treble presence that normally don't belong just to make it seem the sound your hearing is fresh n clean with a shimmery sparkle, aka hi fi for the trebles.

There is a true honest take on treble, extremely well balanced while not forcing it and that is what the Moonlight treble does. It is airy shimmery in all the right places. Highly detailed yet refined for its presentation. If your a treble head, I can see how one would want a bit more treble emphasis but if you hear the entire presentation of the Moonlight I would change 0% about its treble presentation. It is to me about as good as it gets for what the sound is doing. I have heard plenty of EST implemented IEMS and the Moonlights are one of the best presentations for EST implementation as it gets.

How many folks are complainging about the treble here? No one would be the answer to that.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #1,529 of 2,418
This is actually one of my motivations for ordering Moonlight, as I am extremely sensitive to some treble spikes. I love air and sparkle, but can't stand harsh or too strong peaks that can get grating to my ears. I do take care of my ears and don't listen to any high SPLs (or for only short time periods, and use earplugs when working at concert venues). Know that everyone has different tastes, but some tuning preferences make me wonder if some have loss of hearing in that upper octave and want compensation.
I'm pretty stoked that Moonlight will be "just right" instead of a tuning preference for some.

Jul 1, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #1,530 of 2,418
Moonlight highs are what I consider very refined. Extended meaning your going to hear every nuanced detail of the treble the reason why they are easier on the ears is Yanyin did not use a spike gimmick to portray a natural treble. Trebles are not forced in the balancing here.

I much prefer this angle of treble balancing vs having too much in the 8Khz or even a 10Khz spike to bring on artificial treble shimmer. Believe me there is nothing muted on the Moonlight. I have done reviews for just about every Tansio Mirai earphone and just about all their earphones are tuned with a bit of a treble exaggeration. Not just Tansio phones but perhaps a majority of IEMs to be honest.

I am very well familiar with treble tunging tactics I call it to bring out treble presence that normally don't belong just to make it seem the sound your hearing is fresh n clean with a shimmery sparkle, aka hi fi for the trebles.

There is a true honest take on treble, extremely well balanced while not forcing it and that is what the Moonlight treble does. It is airy shimmery in all the right places. Highly detailed yet refined for its presentation. If your a treble head, I can see how one would want a bit more treble emphasis but if you hear the entire presentation of the Moonlight I would change 0% about its treble presentation. It is to me about as good as it gets for what the sound is doing. I have heard plenty of EST implemented IEMS and the Moonlights are one of the best presentations for EST implementation as it gets.

How many folks are complainging about the treble here? No one would be the answer to that.

Hey dude... great comments on the Moonlight. I'm kind of tempted to try it out. With so much enjoyment coming from the Penon Vortex though, I'm wondering if the Moonlight is kind of redundant in offering a similar level of technicality (I consider the Vortex absurdly competent in technicalities while still offering great musicality and tone), or does it pull ahead somewhat? I've been in a good place for quite a long time with the EST50, but truth be told I like the Vortex better already. Curious how the Moonlight fits in the mix of current company. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back