Yanyin Discussion thread
May 12, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #1,112 of 2,418
A more refined Aladdin? With EST implementation? That would be very awesome.

Actually I might be able to provide a graph soon. I will post it here if I get it. .
31D307EA-BFD1-4524-9D82-CF8CDAF59D50.jpeg

You can also lend it to me for few days to get it measured 😉

May 12, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #1,113 of 2,418
31D307EA-BFD1-4524-9D82-CF8CDAF59D50.jpeg
You can also lend it to me for few days to get it measured 😉
@tgx, the default setting you graphed for the Canon, is it 000 or 111? Because out of the box, the switches are set to 111.

May 12, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #1,115 of 2,418
Interesting! Do you listen with 111 then?

I need to try that out - from Syncertech's graphs, 111 is like 000 but globally shifted up by 2-3 dB. I've been doing 010 for balanced with mids emphasis and 110 for a fun sound.

May 12, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #1,116 of 2,418
Interesting! Do you listen with 111 then?

I need to try that out - from Syncertech's graphs, 111 is like 000 but globally shifted up by 2-3 dB. I've been doing 010 for balanced with mids emphasis and 110 for a fun sound.
I listen to 000 but haven’t measured it yet.

May 13, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #1,118 of 2,418
1652281178431.png
https://penonaudio.com/yanyin-moonlight-est.html She is out. Tempting!!

Yanyin Moonlight 2EST + 4BA + 1 Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2pin 0.78mm HiFi Audiophile In-ear Earphones IEMs
Description

Yanyin technology first electrostatic hybrid driver structure earphone

10mm new Bio-diaphragm dynamic

4 Knowles independent balanced armature

2 Sonion electrostatic units

The moon shines, the stars twinkle
Each piece of earphone is made by hand in reverse mold, with unique craftsmanship like moonlight embellishment, half-hidden and half-visible. Like the moonlight under the starry sky at night with beautiful music, picturesque.

Good tuning, good soul
MoonLight uses a complex physical frequency division combined with electronic frequency division technology, and the design of the four-band independent tube makes the sound more pure.
The phase of each unit spends a lot of time processing coordination, exhibiting an industry standard for ultra-low distortion. The sound positioning is accurate, the sound field is naturally wide, and the feeling of unplugging is excellent.

Where the moon goes, the sound goes

MoonLight adopts new Bio-diaphragm dynamic, better sound diving, full atmosphere, better elastic performance.

The configuration of the 4 Knowles balanced armature ensures the high and medium frequency sound is full and details are restored clearly.

Two Sonion electrostatic units with an ultra-wide frequency response range make the ultra-high frequency smooth, warm and transparent.

Graphene silver-plated cable

The cable is made of 4 strands of Litz structure, graphene wrapped with silver-plated cable. The good horse is equipped with whip, so that the signal transmission cannot lose.

The earphone is designed with detachable cable and also supports balanced plugs. The default pin is 2pin 0.78mm connectors +3.5mm single end.

High toughness, high strength, imported medical resin

The shell of the earphone is still made of egger medical grade resin imported from Germany. The excellent material makes the shell of the earphone have the characteristics of high toughness and high strength. This environmentally friendly material is also one of the preferred materials for high-end earphones.

Specification

Model: MoonLight
Driver: 10mm Bio-diaphragm dynamic + 4 Knowles independent balanced armature + 2 Sonion electrostatic units
Technology: 4 crossover + 4 independent tubes
Frequency response: 5Hz-50kHz
Impedance: 8Ω
Sensitivity: 118dB
Cable material: 4 strands graphene wrapped with silver-plated cable
Cable length: 1.2m
Connector: 2pin 0.78mm
Plug: 3.5mm
Sounds like there might be a lot of similarities in sound when compared to the Moondrop Variations. But, with that frequency response of 5Hz-50khz coming from the Moonlight, they might even compete for the best sounding IEM in the $500 to $1000 US dollar range...Who knows?

-Clear

May 13, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #1,120 of 2,418
C622F4B0-B02B-47F3-85B4-572852D22BC5.jpeg
Moonlight graph looks really good. Similar to Jewel where the peaks and valleys are.
Is it possible to share your target cuve so I can use it if you be so kind and wish to do so it would be much appreciated please. 🙏

May 13, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #1,121 of 2,418
1652416600857.png

Moonlight graph. You saw it here first!. Aladdin/Canon tribrid? Oh boyee!
My confidence in my blind buy decision has just gone up considerably. Now time to mash F5 on tracking.

May 13, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #1,122 of 2,418
My confidence in my blind buy decision has just gone up considerably. Now time to mash F5 on tracking.

Looks really solid. Doubt you'll be dissapointed provided they've implimented ESTs well i.e. as super tweeter only.

May 14, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #1,123 of 2,418

https://penonaudio.com/yanyin-moonlight-est.html She is out. Tempting!!

Yanyin Moonlight 2EST + 4BA + 1 Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2pin 0.78mm HiFi Audiophile In-ear Earphones IEMs
Description

Yanyin technology first electrostatic hybrid driver structure earphone

10mm new Bio-diaphragm dynamic

4 Knowles independent balanced armature

2 Sonion electrostatic units

The moon shines, the stars twinkle
Each piece of earphone is made by hand in reverse mold, with unique craftsmanship like moonlight embellishment, half-hidden and half-visible. Like the moonlight under the starry sky at night with beautiful music, picturesque.

Good tuning, good soul
MoonLight uses a complex physical frequency division combined with electronic frequency division technology, and the design of the four-band independent tube makes the sound more pure.
The phase of each unit spends a lot of time processing coordination, exhibiting an industry standard for ultra-low distortion. The sound positioning is accurate, the sound field is naturally wide, and the feeling of unplugging is excellent.

Where the moon goes, the sound goes

MoonLight adopts new Bio-diaphragm dynamic, better sound diving, full atmosphere, better elastic performance.

The configuration of the 4 Knowles balanced armature ensures the high and medium frequency sound is full and details are restored clearly.

Two Sonion electrostatic units with an ultra-wide frequency response range make the ultra-high frequency smooth, warm and transparent.

Graphene silver-plated cable

The cable is made of 4 strands of Litz structure, graphene wrapped with silver-plated cable. The good horse is equipped with whip, so that the signal transmission cannot lose.

The earphone is designed with detachable cable and also supports balanced plugs. The default pin is 2pin 0.78mm connectors +3.5mm single end.

High toughness, high strength, imported medical resin

The shell of the earphone is still made of egger medical grade resin imported from Germany. The excellent material makes the shell of the earphone have the characteristics of high toughness and high strength. This environmentally friendly material is also one of the preferred materials for high-end earphones.

Specification

Model: MoonLight
Driver: 10mm Bio-diaphragm dynamic + 4 Knowles independent balanced armature + 2 Sonion electrostatic units
Technology: 4 crossover + 4 independent tubes
Frequency response: 5Hz-50kHz
Impedance: 8Ω
Sensitivity: 118dB
Cable material: 4 strands graphene wrapped with silver-plated cable
Cable length: 1.2m
Connector: 2pin 0.78mm
Plug: 3.5mm

more pics from Penon feed
1652517706612.png

1652517735273.png

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #1,124 of 2,418
Yanyin Canon impressions (and comparisons with Tripowin x HBB Olina and LETSHUOER S12)

Canon_image4_watermark.jpg

Context
I had been eyeing an "end-game" set for some time before taking the leap and purchasing the Canon (note: end-game for my budget). I really enjoyed the Aladdin, which is a 1 DD + 3 BA set, but felt it was time to upgrade. A shout-out to @rattlingblanketwoman and HBB who took the plunge before me and shared their impressions with the community. When I received the Canon, I had already sold my Aladdin, which is why I am only including comparisons to the Olina (with some against the S12 as a bonus).

- Yanyin Canon: 1DD (10 mm biocellulose vs 9.2 mm from Aladdin, according to Penon) + 4BA (presumed Knowles; different BA models to Aladdin, according to Penon). SE cable + stock tips.
- Tripowin x HBB Olina: modded with O2 filter + Y4 filter on front vent. SE cable + kbear07 tips.
- LETSHUOER S12: modded with Y4 filter on front vent. SE cable + Final E tips
- Sources: Qudelix & ifi Zen DAC. Using Y-splitter to A/B for comparisons. Spotify (highest resolution offered).
- Bought myself. RRP 349 USD at time of writing

- Ok, no one wants to start reading a review with a QC issue, and I'm being fairly nit-picky about this, but at 349 USD, it's not loose change, so I will critique Yanyin. My Canon shell faceplates have small bubbles (see example in image below, blue arrow). Minor, but also avoidable if they were careful with the resin moulding
- The stock cable is really nice, BUT the 2pin connector is very long and acts as big levers that add strain to the connection (red circle). I swapped to a **** cable with shorter 2pin connectors.
Canon_image6 copy.jpg

- Otherwise, the Canon fit me like a glove. I had the same with the Aladdin, so their shell shape must really jive with me. Passive isolation is very good.

Canon_image7_watermark.jpg

General impressions
The Canon has 3 tuning switches per channel that actually do something (~2-3 dB increase; check out HBB or other people's graphs that I shared in this post: https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/yanyin-audio-canon/33973/2). This means there are 8 different combinations to choose from, which is a great feature but a nightmare for reviewing. For the sake of my time and simplicity, I have settled on 010 (so mids boosted) for the rest of the impressions and comparisons. Why? I found 000 to be fun but a little too much bass for me - female vocals like Adele and Agnes Noble were slightly recessed when the songs had drums/guitar tracks. It wasn't always an issue, but personally I prefer 010 for general listening, and 110 if I want a more fun bassy sound.

Overall, the Canon sounds amazing. Bass extends very deep, has excellent rumble and impact, and has a great organic sound. It's not fast like planars, but it adds musicality to the bass. Mids are forward with 010 tuning, no issues there. Treble is also well-extended without any sibilance. I wrote down two observations over and over again:
1. Cymbals sound delicious. So clear, so holographic.
2. Bass hits *hard*

The Canon has a decent stage, but the sounds are dense within that volume - good note-weight plus good imaging and layering bring out intimacy (from the vocalist) yet nice reverb/echo and placement of instruments. The Canon sounds like it has Oxygen-like bass (note: I sold my Oxygen prior to getting the Canon, but I do have the Olina and am basing my thoughts on the extensive A/Bing I did with the Olina and the Oxygen), and imaging that is better than the Olina.

I couldn't find any faults with the timbre apart from the upper registers of the violin, which sometimes sounded a bit plastic-y. I don't know how obvious this would be to others, so YMMV.

Detailed impressions with songs & comparisons with the Olina and S12
[Politely](https://open.spotify.com/track/2wYcFlIcbj0Aw1Jsek5jjS?si=9aeb2568337241b7)
Canon: good slam, **cymbals are delicious, clear, ringing / reverb**. Good slam on bass. 35 s with drums intro - very good bass extension
Olina: Cymbals less holographic, more deadpan; separation not as good (Canon very clear left for bass, right for piano until 1 min)

[Rosita](https://open.spotify.com/track/3tzOXO0tEqbI4SCrSDhZ4J?si=d3271db0ac3d4a52)
Canon vs Olina: Canon better depth in stage but Olina slightly wider. Better echo/reverb; more bass; timbre similar. Canon has more note-weight than the Olina, so the saxophone sounds more full

[Swashers](https://open.spotify.com/track/5IqjAH2ynF7320IVnqfjlT?si=38514caaa7f54b3e)
Canon: nicely holographic intro first 50 sec with female voice; deep bass at 1'10.
Olina: more pillowy bass; imaging of female voice not as good. Stage wide but less height.

[TAL](https://open.spotify.com/track/4fpga33olXbMMjZMkHFGrg?si=ceb1c6d57e0747d6)
Canon: heavier note-weight. As good timbre as Olina. Width about same, possibly narrower. Similar height. Canon bass slams harder.

[Winter 1](https://open.spotify.com/track/1jWQ4n73jdT7y9gR2VHu0g?si=33ab0b65782944b5)
Canon: more holographic; violins' upper register sounds a bit plastic; 1'33 double bass comes in with more slam.
Olina: good timbre (violins, harpsichord), good air

[My same](https://open.spotify.com/track/7pbQxZifd3jTQ2MJuAOoSh?si=d87d2e5ffdef4f96)
Canon: Finger snaps clearer; better layering 1' when drums kick in, it's behind Adele but still audible. Drums slam more. Guitar sounds nice. No sibilance
Olina: Thoughts based on comparisons to Canon 000 to illustrate recessed mids. Voice a bit more forward than Canon 000; guitar not overpowering Adele. 1': drums bit more interfering with Adele than Canon 000. These issues were mitigated with Canon 010.

[The curse](https://open.spotify.com/track/7hiY7fVxa0LEUeUP4F4ReR?si=1dfa323126944a5f)
Olina: Agnes voice wide, holographic. Good timbre on strings
Canon: Holographic voice; Good layering, voice nicely forward

[Nowicaresomemore](https://open.spotify.com/track/2gXYLIrLrHVViRCnbh8kCQ?si=cf4403786691463c)
Canon: Imaging is better than Olina. Holographic. Good depth
Olina: wide stage; good height; male vocals sounds lighter, less full-bodied

Brief comparison against the S12
[Cherry](https://open.spotify.com/track/5k44yc5bXO1XRedzjaugdQ?si=84d250dca59045f8)
Canon bass not as fast but more note-weight. Deeper extension. Stage taller and deeper. Male vocals more forward. Detail similar.

[The curse](https://open.spotify.com/track/7hiY7fVxa0LEUeUP4F4ReR?si=1dfa323126944a5f)
S12: good width and height. Bow tapping clear. Good cello timbre. Violin sounds a bit thin
Canon: deeper, more echo/reverb. Bow tapping clear. Timbre ok here.

Conclusion
It's difficult to find faults with the Canon because it is better than anything I've listened to until now. Sure, I could try to compare with my Sundara, but that will really be apples to oranges! So based on the IEMs I have and my music tastes, the Canon is excellent. The tuning switches make the Canon a great all-rounder - I can essentially apply a hardware-based EQ to fit my mood. More bass? 110. More mids? 010. More treble and air? 001. Yanyin knows how to tune, so you start with a solid foundation, then you can customise to your tastes - what more can you ask for? (I mean, you could upgrade the individual components and throw in more drivers maybe...but not sure I need to one-up the Canon for a good long time!)

As always, thanks for reading, and happy listening :slight_smile:

Canon_image12_watermark.jpg

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #1,125 of 2,418
Yanyin Canon impressions (and comparisons with Tripowin x HBB Olina and LETSHUOER S12)

Context
I had been eyeing an "end-game" set for some time before taking the leap and purchasing the Canon (note: end-game for my budget). I really enjoyed the Aladdin, which is a 1 DD + 3 BA set, but felt it was time to upgrade. A shout-out to @rattlingblanketwoman and @Hawaiibadboy who took the plunge before me and shared their impressions with the community. When I received the Canon, I had already sold my Aladdin, which is why I am only including comparisons to the Olina (with some against the S12 as a bonus).

- Yanyin Canon: 1DD (biocellulose) + 4BA (presumed Knowles). SE cable + stock tips.
- Tripowin x HBB Olina: modded with O2 filter + Y4 filter on front vent. SE cable + kbear07 tips.
- LETSHUOER S12: modded with Y4 filter on front vent. SE cable + Final E tips
- Sources: Qudelix & ifi Zen DAC. Using Y-splitter to A/B for comparisons. Spotify (highest resolution offered).
- Bought myself. RRP 349 USD at time of writing

- Ok, no one wants to start reading a review with a QC issue, and I'm being fairly nit-picky about this, but at 349 USD, it's not loose change, so I will critique Yanyin. My Canon shell faceplates have small bubbles (see example in image below, blue arrow). Minor, but also avoidable if they were careful with the resin moulding
- The stock cable is really nice, BUT the 2pin connector is very long and acts as big levers that add strain to the connection (red circle). I swapped to a **** cable with shorter 2pin connectors.

- Otherwise, the Canon fit me like a glove. I had the same with the Aladdin, so their shell shape must really jive with me. Passive isolation is very good.

General impressions
The Canon has 3 tuning switches per channel that actually do something (~2-3 dB increase; check out HBB or other people's graphs that I shared in this post: https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/yanyin-audio-canon/33973/2). This means there are 8 different combinations to choose from, which is a great feature but a nightmare for reviewing. For the sake of my time and simplicity, I have settled on 010 (so mids boosted) for the rest of the impressions and comparisons. Why? I found 000 to be fun but a little too much bass for me - female vocals like Adele and Agnes Noble were slightly recessed when the songs had drums/guitar tracks. It wasn't always an issue, but personally I prefer 010 for general listening, and 110 if I want a more fun bassy sound.

Overall, the Canon sounds amazing. Bass extends very deep, has excellent rumble and impact, and has a great organic sound. It's not fast like planars, but it adds musicality to the bass. Mids are forward with 010 tuning, no issues there. Treble is also well-extended without any sibilance. I wrote down two observations over and over again:
1. Cymbals sound delicious. So clear, so holographic.
2. Bass hits *hard*

The Canon has a decent stage, but the sounds are dense within that volume - good note-weight plus good imaging and layering bring out intimacy (from the vocalist) yet nice reverb/echo and placement of instruments. The Canon sounds like it has Oxygen-like bass (note: I sold my Oxygen prior to getting the Canon, but I do have the Olina and am basing my thoughts on the extensive A/Bing I did with the Olina and the Oxygen), and imaging that is better than the Olina.

I couldn't find any faults with the timbre apart from the upper registers of the violin, which sometimes sounded a bit plastic-y. I don't know how obvious this would be to others, so YMMV.

Detailed impressions with songs & comparisons with the Olina and S12
[Politely](https://open.spotify.com/track/2wYcFlIcbj0Aw1Jsek5jjS?si=9aeb2568337241b7)
Canon: good slam, **cymbals are delicious, clear, ringing / reverb**. Good slam on bass. 35 s with drums intro - very good bass extension
Olina: Cymbals less holographic, more deadpan; separation not as good (Canon very clear left for bass, right for piano until 1 min)

[Rosita](https://open.spotify.com/track/3tzOXO0tEqbI4SCrSDhZ4J?si=d3271db0ac3d4a52)
Canon vs Olina: Canon better depth in stage but Olina slightly wider. Better echo/reverb; more bass; timbre similar. Canon has more note-weight than the Olina, so the saxophone sounds more full

[Swashers](https://open.spotify.com/track/5IqjAH2ynF7320IVnqfjlT?si=38514caaa7f54b3e)
Canon: nicely holographic intro first 50 sec with female voice; deep bass at 1'10.
Olina: more pillowy bass; imaging of female voice not as good. Stage wide but less height.

[TAL](https://open.spotify.com/track/4fpga33olXbMMjZMkHFGrg?si=ceb1c6d57e0747d6)
Canon: heavier note-weight. As good timbre as Olina. Width about same, possibly narrower. Similar height. Canon bass slams harder.

[Winter 1](https://open.spotify.com/track/1jWQ4n73jdT7y9gR2VHu0g?si=33ab0b65782944b5)
Canon: more holographic; violins' upper register sounds a bit plastic; 1'33 double bass comes in with more slam.
Olina: good timbre (violins, harpsichord), good air

[My same](https://open.spotify.com/track/7pbQxZifd3jTQ2MJuAOoSh?si=d87d2e5ffdef4f96)
Canon: Finger snaps clearer; better layering 1' when drums kick in, it's behind Adele but still audible. Drums slam more. Guitar sounds nice. No sibilance
Olina: Thoughts based on comparisons to Canon 000 to illustrate recessed mids. Voice a bit more forward than Canon 000; guitar not overpowering Adele. 1': drums bit more interfering with Adele than Canon 000. These issues were mitigated with Canon 010.

Olina: Agnes voice wide, holographic. Good timbre on strings
Canon: Holographic voice; Good layering, voice nicely forward

[Nowicaresomemore](https://open.spotify.com/track/2gXYLIrLrHVViRCnbh8kCQ?si=cf4403786691463c)
Canon: Imaging is better than Olina. Holographic. Good depth
Olina: wide stage; good height; male vocals sounds lighter, less full-bodied

Brief comparison against the S12
[Cherry](https://open.spotify.com/track/5k44yc5bXO1XRedzjaugdQ?si=84d250dca59045f8)
Canon bass not as fast but more note-weight. Deeper extension. Stage taller and deeper. Male vocals more forward. Detail similar.

S12: good width and height. Bow tapping clear. Good cello timbre. Violin sounds a bit thin
Canon: deeper, more echo/reverb. Bow tapping clear. Timbre ok here.

Conclusion
It's difficult to find faults with the Canon because it is better than anything I've listened to until now. Sure, I could try to compare with my Sundara, but that will really be apples to oranges! So based on the IEMs I have and my music tastes, the Canon is excellent. The tuning switches make the Canon a great all-rounder - I can essentially apply a hardware-based EQ to fit my mood. More bass? 110. More mids? 010. More treble and air? 001. Yanyin knows how to tune, so you start with a solid foundation, then you can customise to your tastes - what more can you ask for? (I mean, you could upgrade the individual components and throw in more drivers maybe...but not sure I need to one-up the Canon for a good long time!)

As always, thanks for reading, and happy listening :slight_smile:

Great impressions!
Can you please post them at https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/yanyin-canon.25482/ , so in the future it will be easier for people to find them?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back