YANNY vs Laurel [-5,+5] vote and implications

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by donkeywalker, May 18, 2018.
?

At which tick can you hear both Yanny and Laurel (middle is 0)

1. -5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. -4

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. -3

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. -2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. -1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 1

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 4

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  10. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. donkeywalker
    Hey guys, I know there is another thread already on voting, but Nytimes just published a tool here where you can drag so that you can hear both:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

For me, I can start to hear both only all the way to the left, which means I'm a very treble sensitive and bass-insensitive guy. And I asked another friend who loves HD800 and has the opposite reaction, he needs to move to +3 tick to hear Yanny.

This should have very very deep implication when selecting and talking about headphones. We've known our ears are different and hearing test returns different result. What this vote shows is the variance of the difference.

If the variance is large enough, then this mean when you read someone's review, or write reveal, you need to attach your hearing data along side with your review, or mark yourself is a Yanny or Laurel guy, otherwise debates are pointless!!

2. ev13wt
    We did discuss that tool at length in that thread. :) Position varies and for some it varies goes left to right or vice versa.

But I was just as exited.

At first: Going right from the middle I hear yanni at 4. Going back I heard laurel at 2. Now, after playing with it for a while I hear both from end to end.

3. SilverEars
    Yeah, your brain can focus on either depending on which point that was dominant in sound of Yanny or Laurel. Just illustrates, our brains are one track mind. Haha.

Quite an interesting experiment I got to say.

I don't hear Yanny on the left, and I despise HD800 treble(I'd put it as a knife stabbing your ears, and maybe when I'm 70 I'd appreciate the "resolution"). I don't think it's that straightforward.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    ev13wt likes this.
  4. ev13wt