yamaha silent cinema sounds rubbish, how come?
Feb 23, 2013 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jamieuk147

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Yamaha RXV673 and some Sony MA900's. I have always ran my headphones with my Astro mixamp for dolby gaming (xbox) and sounds mint!!. I heard about my reciever offering some type of surrround mode so I plugged them in, but they sounded rubbish! Abd lacked in detail compared to the mixamp. Is there a setting I need to put on my amp to improve the quality? Or should it auto do it once the are plugged in?

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 4
Almost any type of sound processing, be it 'surround' or 'up-scaling' or '3D sound' or whatever, usually just makes music sound awful.
It's better to turn off all those gimmicks and just enjoy the pure untouched sound.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 4
Are you sure it´s the silent cinema or you just don´t like the receiver? I had the Yamaha RX-V663 (my parents got them now but mostly for radio and they are not picky) and it was awful with anything I throw at it. Speakers or headphones.

The only good thing I could say about Silent Cinema was that it didn´t distort the sound as heavilly as other dsps do. But on the other hand didn´t really get any more "surround either".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back