yamaha rx-v question.
Oct 1, 2009 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Infoseeker

Headphoneus Supremus
In a minimalist, but decent, approach. Would a Yamaha Rx-v665 be a good receiver to get for headphone video-gaming console use (Xbox, PS3)?
Another side-question, are these thing's hardware stable enough; to ignore getting a 3-year warranty?

Any reason to go with a rx-v663 instead (relative to headphone use)? or a used rx-v1800 or rx-v3800 (both ~$700 used); again in terms of headphone use?

Finally I will have a device I can split the HDMI's audio and video signals; and can set it to pass through too!

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 8
Yamaha's RXV line of receivers are very good receivers for multimedia use. Pretty well rounded receiver but they really excel in things like movies and games. They have a ton of DSP features. Having said that, they do not prioritize audio focused like say the Marantz receivers tend to be and even then the headphone out will be decent but not on the level of a dedicated amp.

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 8
I have the 1800 and I was pretty happy with it while I used it as a headphone amp. Just put it in "Pure Direct" mode and it's very quiet.

EDIT: It powered my HD800 just fine.

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 8
The RX-V1 is a huge receiver. Was their flagship, he is talking about a 663. There is a big difference between the two.

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infoseeker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In a minimalist, but decent, approach. Would a Yamaha Rx-v665 be a good receiver to get for headphone video-gaming console use (Xbox, PS3)?
Another side-question, are these thing's hardware stable enough; to ignore getting a 3-year warranty?

Any reason to go with a rx-v663 instead (relative to headphone use)? or a used rx-v1800 or rx-v3800 (both ~$700 used); again in terms of headphone use?

Finally I will have a device I can split the HDMI's audio and video signals; and can set it to pass through too!

Get a used 3800 for 700.. The 665/663 skimp on build quality issues, less vibration control, smaller PS, more noise, etc.. This effects the headphone outs as well.. The better the Yamaha, the better the headphone section in general. That's my personal experience. I use my Yamaha 1800 for gaming & moving watching with headphones.. Exceeded my exceptions in every way.. A bit on the warm side, slight coloration, tight, well controlled bass, excellent noise floor, especially through digital. I'd still get the 3800 over the 1800.. Even more isolation of the analog section, quiter PS, & low level jitter circuitry over HDMI & optical.. With the 1800 it's only optical.

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by AP3X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yamaha's RXV line of receivers are very good receivers for multimedia use. Pretty well rounded receiver but they really excel in things like movies and games. They have a ton of DSP features. Having said that, they do not prioritize audio focused like say the Marantz receivers tend to be and even then the headphone out will be decent but not on the level of a dedicated amp.

Depends on the amp.. I'd compare the 1800 outs to a good quality 250-300 dedicated amp.

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #8 of 8
My yamaha rx-v1 for the byerdynamic HT 880 pro 250 ohms sounds real good,  but if i put the byer to the sony cd/dvd dvp-s7000 player it sounds a lot better than the yamaha receiver,  not sure how good the byer head phones would be with a better amp. never had them on any thing except the yamy & sony  or it is caused by going though all the extra hookup  wires, or the phone amps that are in the yamy that make the sound a little compressed, and if i had external amp for the byer ht-880 would sound be better. what would be a external amp that would work good for my system and that i can use it on my sony VGN-NW125J lap top computer to!!  or if i would need both processor & amp,..................thanks;

joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back