Yamaha RH5-ma, best sleeper of 2009?
Jan 28, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #61 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting indeed.

mmmmm...we have many 'giant-killers / great bang-for-buck' in realm of IEMs that appear but in terms of full-size, we havn't had one in a while. These look very interesting.
Would definitely like some comparisons vs. Grado SR-60/SR-80's though as they direct compete with these (the low soundstage, lower priced cans).

x2
or perhaps and AKG K81DJ or Koss PP's?

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #62 of 125
These really are fun sounding cans with plenty of bass. They certainly made me realise how flat my Sony MDR-7509HD are. Comparing the two is unfair considering the price difference and that the Sony's are circumaural, but they're my only other full-size...

Some high-mid instruments sound a little unnatural and the overall presentation is less articulate. The bass is more powerful and the highs are more recessed (slightly too much). Each note is more like a sustained strong tone compared to the Sony's, though very much like the Sennheiser HD-25 II's (from recollection). All in all these are a great rival to the HD-25 II's and really not very far off. I really enjoy listening to their sound signature which would suit any bass-head or someone who likes to switch to a fun sounding can after analytical listening. Thanks to Kabeer for sending so promptly (a perfect transaction).

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #63 of 125
Thanks for posting your impressions. At about 5x the price, the Sony are out of the little Yamaha's league, as you rightly say.
smily_headphones1.gif

The fact that these can go head to head with the HD25 II is great news, as they should compete in the same niche (smallish portable phones), at about 1/3 the price.

I'm glad you are liking them. And yes, Kabeer is great (and the Royal Mail too, apparently).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #64 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting your impressions. At about 5x the price, the Sony are out of the little Yamaha's league, as you rightly say.
smily_headphones1.gif

The fact that these can go head to head with the HD25 II is great news, as they should compete in the same niche (smallish portable phones), at about 1/3 the price.

I'm glad you are liking them. And yes, Kabeer is great (and the Royal Mail too, apparently).
smily_headphones1.gif

I was thinking of buying a pair of HD-25's for the form factor, but I can't bring myself to pay so much for so little improvement. I'm certainly keeping these, they are a rare bargain
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #65 of 125
Well, one thing the HD25 II have going for them is isolation. But for casual use (eg not in a plane or high noise environment) the half-closed Yamas isolate enough. And yes, I agree they are a bargain.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #66 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandnewgame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These really are fun sounding cans with plenty of bass. They certainly made me realise how flat my Sony MDR-7509HD are. Comparing the two is unfair considering the price difference and that the Sony's are circumaural, but they're my only other full-size...

Some high-mid instruments sound a little unnatural and the overall presentation is less articulate. The bass is more powerful and the highs are more recessed (slightly too much). Each note is more like a sustained strong tone compared to the Sony's, though very much like the Sennheiser HD-25 II's (from recollection). All in all these are a great rival to the HD-25 II's and really not very far off. I really enjoy listening to their sound signature which would suit any bass-head or someone who likes to switch to a fun sounding can after analytical listening. Thanks to Kabeer for sending so promptly (a perfect transaction).

Finally, an honest review. I'm too anxious to hear the cymbals, snare drums and the trumpet out of each song. I simply can not afford to miss those details! Definitely not my cup of tea or coffee. Thank goodness for this post.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #67 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by noahlapuz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally, an honest review. I'm too anxious to hear the cymbals, snare drums and the trumpet out of each song. I simply can not afford to miss those details! Definitely not my cup of tea or coffee. Thank goodness for this post.

...so you are saying the reviews by me and Ludoo are dishonest...
I find that rather offensive. What in particular did you find dishonest.

Who says you wont get those details? And as for treble extension everyone has commented that they dont extend as much as other popular choices, but some (like me) feel that THIS is the natural level of treble, and the other cans are overemphasised.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #68 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by noahlapuz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You probably mean: "finally a review that is right up my alley so this must be truthful and the others must have been dishonest and lying to trick me into buying these phones".

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #69 of 125
Wow, you spend time and money to get a good sounding, cheap pair of phones to the general attention, and get labeled as dishonest. There's really all kinds of people on HeadFi.

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #70 of 125
Whoa, relax guys. His review didn't say anything terribly different from yours just in a different way. 'Doesn't have the last bit of upper extension' or 'not excess treble like some other phones' versus 'the highs are more recessed (slightly too much)'...those are practically saying the same thing, the first two just accept it as part of the phone the latter finds it a shortcoming which really just comes down to personal preference. For someone who enjoys the high extensions and was considering trying them, accepting it as part of the phone doesn't make sense.

Also he's from the Phillipines and maybe honest wan't quite the right word
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #71 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...so you are saying the reviews by me and Ludoo are dishonest...
I find that rather offensive. What in particular did you find dishonest.

Who says you wont get those details? And as for treble extension everyone has commented that they dont extend as much as other popular choices, but some (like me) feel that THIS is the natural level of treble, and the other cans are overemphasised.

No no no you got me wrong.. No harm meant here. The post was intended for brandnewgame, and I didn't know using the word "honest" would sound
so offensive. What I meant was, someone has finally commented on the treble which is very helpful for me. I said that in a polite way, meant in a good manner, most of all it was an expression of gratitude. I had no idea it would seem to insult anyone. Then again my apologies for my broken english and my noobish ways. There's no way I'd ever think about other people being dishonest - or writing a review of headphones for that matter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably mean: "finally a review that is right up my alley so this must be truthful and the others must have been dishonest and lying to trick me into buying these phones".

"finally a review that is right up my alley"
Right, except that I was referring to the way he described the sound, he was specific on what I was looking for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, you spend time and money to get a good sounding, cheap pair of phones to the general attention, and get labeled as dishonest. There's really all kinds of people on HeadFi.

No (apologetic tone), what I meant was, he was honest as so as the other reviewers were. I didn't expect that using the word "honest" turns out like I singled him out and the rest were completely dishonest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa, relax guys. His review didn't say anything terribly different from yours just in a different way. 'Doesn't have the last bit of upper extension' or 'not excess treble like some other phones' versus 'the highs are more recessed (slightly too much)'...those are practically saying the same thing, the first two just accept it as part of the phone the latter finds it a shortcoming which really just comes down to personal preference. For someone who enjoys the high extensions and was considering trying them, accepting it as part of the phone doesn't make sense.

Also he's from the Phillipines and maybe honest wan't quite the right word
wink.gif

You got it.

Phew! I should review my english lessons.
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #72 of 125
Ok, sorry for jumping on you.
smily_headphones1.gif

I find these don't lack treble, but at the same time they don't have a bright sound or accentuated treble (like the Grados I heard for example), so if you like that kind of sound these might not be for you. Glad that was cleared up.

Jan 30, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #73 of 125
I had these headphones for a few days. However, I did not like the treble. Just didn't seem right to me. Everything else, these headphones excel at the price point. The treble was a deal breaker for me though. Ended up returning it to zzsounds for a refund.

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #75 of 125
I got these today after a few months of deliberation . The build is sturdy and I was surprised at how tiny these were. Almost Px100 size .

Initial impressions on the sound : A real joy to listen, warm and pleasant. The highs are a tad subdued but not so much that it detracts from the music. I'd say these are KSC75 in openness without the harshness in the highs and WITH the bloom of the px100s. It'll put a smile on your face.

Needs a fairly good source. My fuze sounds pretty damn good and vinyl too. Inferior sources sound dull and congested. Great value all in all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back