Yamaha RH5-ma, best sleeper of 2009?
Jan 19, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #31 of 125
Noob test completed. His impressions are that the RH5 have very realistic mids, tight bass, and a balanced polite sound. He found them especially good with acoustic guitars and voices, go figure.

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #32 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noob test completed. His impressions are that the RH5 have very realistic mids, tight bass, and a balanced polite sound. He found them especially good with acoustic guitars and voices, go figure.

these look decent. can you ask him to compare it to his grado and his koss? por favor?

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #33 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
these look decent. can you ask him to compare it to his grado and his koss? por favor?

He said the KSC75 have more bass slam (which I found pretty hard to believe, but well...), but that it's also more smeared, while the Yamaha have a tighter bass, more natural mids, and more details. Keep in mind that he tried them out of his laptop hp socket, with an amp the Yamaha have more impact and slam.

He cannot compare them to the SR-80 as those are at home. I remember the SR-80 pretty well as I recabled and modded his and had them here until a few weeks ago, and I'd hazard from memory that the Yamaha sound more natural, have a better sound balance, and more bass extension.

Kabeer should receive his in a couple of days, and he will be able to compare them to the EP Sextetts out of a Starving Student and a Mini3. And from memory to the D2k he had until a few weeks ago.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #36 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by spineynorman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've ordered a pair, and gordolindsay has the SR-80, so we can do a little comparison when the Yammies get here next week.

Thanks for the heads up on this can.....

Joe

Great, I hope you like them. I sure do. I'm very curious about your impressions once they arrive.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #39 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you've had a few days with them, how are they stacking up to the ortho collection?

They surprised me yesterday at the office, compared to the HP-3 I have there. The sound signature was similar, with a few minor differences: the RH5 had more punch, while the HP-3 were slightly faster (percussions are wonderful on them) and had slightly more soundstage. Which makes me think that the two HP-3 I have are different animals, I have to compare them. I know my office SS is more bassy then the one at home, so this might account for some of the differences.

The orthos are faster, tiny details are clearer, and the sound has more air. The RH5 are not slow, muddy, or veiled by any means though. Out of all the dynamics I heard they are the ones I have liked best, and it's pretty puzzling given their price.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #41 of 125
These look intriguing,

Could they work as a closed portable alternative to to the px100s?

I'm curious what their Isolation is like.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #42 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just goes to show, price has little to do with sound quality, no matter how much dick wagging and high priced gear lusting goes on.

Well, I might still have developed stone ears so let's wait for other reviews. Totally agree on the "dick wagging/gear lusting" whatever these might come out to be though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These look intriguing,

Could they work as a closed portable alternative to to the px100s?

I'm curious what their Isolation is like.

Well, to be honest I had the PX200 a loong time ago, and they sounded like absolute crap. These are larger and don't fold, but they are also much more comfortable and seal well without having to constantly fiddle with them like the PX200. And of course are a world apart (i.e. much better) in terms of sound quality, for about the same price or less.

They don't isolate much, I mean much much more than a pair of open phones, but much less than your typical IEMs. I tried them walking on the streets, which are pretty busy around here, and I could comfortably listen to music. Maybe a very loud train or plane would be different. They have excellent outside isolation though, as most studio monitors do, so people next to you won't hear anything of what you are listening to.

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #43 of 125
Well I received my Yamaha RH5ma today.

I shall try and give my impressions:

Comfort: :
Very light, and as far a supra-aurals go comfortable. Medium clamp.
Medium isolation, and medium sound leakage.
(what does that mean? it means it doesnt have massive amounts of each, but just average reasonable amounts).

Bass:
Well well, this is a suprise in a headphone at this price range. Bass is big, deeep, and rumbly. AND impactful, not like loose fluffy clouds hitting your head, more like getting a smack in the head
tongue.gif

(for those who are familiar with the orthodynamic thread, I hear housing resonances and maybe some other resonances that muddy things up slightly from the mid-bass to the lower mids area, but this is me being picky, and would be unfair for this headphone).

Bass gets DEEEP with the Starving Student home tube hybrid amp, I can feel it rumbling into my chest somehow....(must be some kinda psychological reaction). And its still nice with the Mini3 or out of a iPod, but lacks this plumbing depth.

Mids:
Mids are more forward in the mix, have a nice weight behind them, and I would probably say I prefer vocals in this headphone than any dynamic I have heard.

Treble:
Treble is lovely for a dynamic in my opinion, I find it is smooth, never siblant. It might lack the last bit of extention, from what I *assume* is most head-fiers taste, but I think its a good balance.

Overall Id say the entire spectrum sounds fairly flat to me, with a a bit of emphasis in the mid-bass. But its still quite tight.
It has a weakness in that it lacks soundstage compared to other headphones, which in itself I dont find a big problem. But coupled to the fact its a dynamic headphone, it can make things a little congested at times.

Comparisons:
Here is the difficult part, and apart from the AKG Sextett EP, I am working from memory here.
Id say it bests my Beyerdynamic DT-250-80ohm in all areas. Which already means its performing above its price tag.

Compared to the Denon D2000: I prefer the RH5's highs, they dont sound peaky and cutting to me like the Denon's (but most people seemed to love the Denon highs... go figure
confused_face.gif
). The RH5 bass feels more impactful, whereas the Denons seems like it impacts more softly and has more bloat around it.
The RH5's mids vocal area are more weighty.
The D2000 absolutely trounces it on soundstage, and instrument placement and seperation though.
For MY tastes I would more happily live with the RH5, but I acknowledge the D2000 is probably a superior headphone (and so It should be at its much larger price tag, and the D2000 basically competes with all the other fancy headphones).

I have also had a small audition of the Denon D1001, which I'd say this headphone would directly compete with, the Denons probably still have better soundstage, but otherwise blow for blow, this might be better...., certainly vocal wise.
I havent heard ATH cans, but I would also thnk that these would be great competitors to them, again at a fraction of the price.

AKG K240 Sextett EP: Compared to the nearly NOS Sextetts I have, the RH5 has more bigger bass (and the EP is the bass heavy Sextett
wink.gif
). The Sextett has better instrument seperation. And to be honest Im not entirely sure which I prefer between the two.....at the moment Im leaning toward the RH5.....purely for its overall more 'fun' sound.

So what to say at the end? If you can get it for $50, I think you cant go much wrong with these. And a lot of studio pros seem to LOVE them, and I think with good reason.
If you dislike strong bass, stay away. But otherwise, these will definately perform well against cans up to the $150 price range and maybe above Im sure. So in that way they are a great bargain and sorely overlooked.

I probably wont keep them (its now a battle between this and the K240 Sextett to see who remains as my sole Dynamic can for my electric guitar practice), because I now know that I am a Planar headphone guy at heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back