Yamaha PRO Headphones.
Oct 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #466 of 531
Anyone compared these to the momentum over ears at all?

From memory I can tell you that I prefer the Pro 500s all the way.
Even COMFORT (which I hate on the Pro 500s) is better... :wink:

Sound is different all the way.
The Momentums are a bit more "laid-back" due to their warm nature and it does have kind of neutral mids but imaging is not the best, the sound is too congested up-top. I don't remember that being the case on the Pro 500s even if it had recessed mids. Also, of course, the Pro 500s have HUGE bass. It sometimes bleeds into the lower mids but it doesn't create a muddy mess.

All in all, sound-wise, I liked the Pro 500 a lot.
The Momentums were not my thing, in fact, I even like the Momentum on-ears more!

If you can try them, I implore you to do so.

Good luck!

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #467 of 531
I Do love my pro 500's but I'm not comfortable wearing the style out and about, would prefer something more traditional and willing to upgrade and try kill 2 birds with one stone but I'm wondering if I should keep my 500's for home when I need closed, I've got my he400 for when it's only me:wink:, and get something like an on ear for out and about like the momentum, any thoughts, I see you have the mad dogs and alpha dogs, which I'd love but can't afford, cheers, lee

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #468 of 531
Well, these pas few months I've owned:

PSB M4U1s
KEF M500
Momentum over-ear and on-ears
AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Gurus
etc.

These are all "portable", mostly comfortable (except the Momentum over-ears... depends on the person it seems) and very good sounding.

Of all of these I decided to stick with the Momentum on-ears (blue). Not only I love the color, build but the sound I find phenomenal for such a small portable (better than what I remember of the V-Moda M80 and others). But really my favorite from that list was the KEF M500! Very very good sounding. Similar to the Mad Dogs in fact.

If you'd like, take a look at Macedonian Hero's "guide"/thoughts here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-b-w-p7-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-executive-kef-m500-and-skullcandy-aviators

Good Luck! :wink:

Nov 3, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #469 of 531
Got the Pro 300's with my MDAC. They were free and retailed for over a hundred quid online so silly not to take advantage of it as I was going to get the DAC anyway. The packaging is superb, I mean you get the nice outer square cover with the glossy photos making them look totally awesome. Slide that off and gasp in awe folks at just how many panels and flaps you have to remove before you can get the cans - totally impressed, make a great Xmas present for a youngster with small ears. Thought I'd hit the jackpot until I pulled them out, they are tiny. I know they're for mobile use but these should be called 'on earhole' cans.

Just listening to them now and they do perform quite decently, the 500's have much bigger ear pads judging from the promo video. I'm a bit bitter at the moment as the place I bought them from are selling the MDAC and Senn HD700's together for £1078, I would have jumped at that deal. Keep these as a back up or when exercising, save my Ultrasone's getting sweaty.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #470 of 531
I just registered to Head-Fi but had been reading the forums for years. Just want to say this thread helped me a lot when choosing the Yamaha Pro 500.  Luckily I got my pair last weekend on a Pre-Black Friday promotion for $199.00.  I don't consider myself an audiophile, but listening to music is one of my biggest and more expensive hobbies. Investing on equipment make it more enjoyable.

Just want to give my first impressions on the Pro 500 compared to headphones I already own.  Not sure why people say these phones have booming bass, I don't find the bass as pronounced as my Ultrasone Pro 900 (which is like having a sub woofer on your head).  The head band pressures my head like the first time I had the Ultrasone Pro 900 and before that the Ultrasone HFI-780, but I think it will loosen up with use.   Can't comment on sound yet, but I like what I hear.  Still need to compare it to my other headphones and guess I have to wait for it to burn in.  All I can say is that they sound better connected directly to my iPad than to my iPod Classic+Fiio E11, I guess Yamaha have them tailored for direct connection to iDevices. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #471 of 531
the E11 has a few problems related like clipping and distortion. I recommend searching for the full review. People are getting different impressions of the bassiness due to source differences I'm guessing. 

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #472 of 531
For those who live in South Florida that are still interested on the Yamaha Pro 500.   The local Brandsmart USA store have them for just $99 with an instant $300 rebate.  Don't know how long they will have this promo.  I got mine a month ago at twice that price.

Dec 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #473 of 531
For those who live in South Florida that are still interested on the Yamaha Pro 500.   The local Brandsmart USA store have them for just $99 with an instant $300 rebate.  Don't know how long they will have this promo.  I got mine a month ago at twice that price.

Wow!!! That's a steal!!!

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #474 of 531
Wow!!! That's a steal!!!

hahaha... only a steal if you believe their actual value is close to their sticker price. hate2say I toldja so 
tongue_smile.gif
 lol

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #477 of 531
Needed a good pair of closed cans for work. Already have the LCD-X at home.

Was going through the deals section in Amazon today and nabbed the the last pair (blue) for $199, which is an absolute steal at that price.
Couldn't believe that it was available at that price!!

May 1, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #478 of 531
Any 500 owner wanna do a review for a top 10 bass head can list? 
Has to be with the requested tracks and slopes.
They are top 10 slammers and could use a good review with pic/vid and paper flutter visceral stimulation test

Youtube for vid and photobucket for pics can be provided

Vis test looks like this. Same track to be used. This list is gonna get a lot of hits because so many folks type that term "What are the best bass cans" etc etc.

PM me if anyone is interested. Serious basshead preferred.

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #479 of 531
Hey everyone, I was looking for a new set of portable headphones to use at work/travelling.  I love my ksc75's but the cables keep developing a break/short after about 6 months.  It's a pain to keep sending them back for replacments.  I really like the sound that the Beyer DT-990's produce, nice deep bass with nice crystal treble..I guess I prefer something with a nice high end, as well as low end.   In researching for a nice set of portable hp's, I'm finding that a lot of them recess the treble, which kills it for me.  I've considered the Senn PX 100ii, the Vmoda XS, the Beyer DTX 501p, and now am looking at the Yamah Pro 300, or 400 as the 500's appear to be too big for portable use.  I use an Ipod Classic with a JDS Labs c5 amplifier using a LOD.

In reading this thread, it sounds like the 400's have the recessed treble - Can anyone comment on the Pro 300's?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #480 of 531
  Hey everyone, I was looking for a new set of portable headphones to use at work/travelling.  I love my ksc75's but the cables keep developing a break/short after about 6 months.  It's a pain to keep sending them back for replacments.  I really like the sound that the Beyer DT-990's produce, nice deep bass with nice crystal treble..I guess I prefer something with a nice high end, as well as low end.   In researching for a nice set of portable hp's, I'm finding that a lot of them recess the treble, which kills it for me.  I've considered the Senn PX 100ii, the Vmoda XS, the Beyer DTX 501p, and now am looking at the Yamah Pro 300, or 400 as the 500's appear to be too big for portable use.  I use an Ipod Classic with a JDS Labs c5 amplifier using a LOD.

In reading this thread, it sounds like the 400's have the recessed treble - Can anyone comment on the Pro 300's?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

I haven't spent much time listening to the Yamaha Pros, but the 400s and 500s are the same exact size. I demoed them back to back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back