Yamaha PRO Headphones.
Dec 20, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #17 of 531
Quote:
K, don't need to read any further, this already shows it's not for me. :frowning2: I hate lower-mid recessions, that's where I want a slight emphasis, the 400~500Hz or so area is critical for my enjoyment... I'd bet a $10 it also has excess resonance going on there though which makes it less recessed sounding but colored, usually such dips tend to have resonance peaks.

Ouch thats not even a V type EQ, more like a W

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #19 of 531
Quote:

Ouch thats not even a V type EQ, more like a W

Yea it looks like it would have forward sounding female vocals and acoustic instruments while recessed male vocals, electronic synths, the lower piano notes etc. Mid/upper bass focused with a bit of high frequency bite (9kHz).

graphs are nothing, listening is everything.

Graphs are very useful when you know what appeals to your taste. I could roughly draw my ideal curve at this point from having tested different headphones, compared their FR graphs against each other and how I kept EQing the headphones (if need be) and compare EQ setting vs their stock FR response. There was always a pattern to be found, I always EQ'd based on what my senses/ears wanted to hear without checking graphs, ie. I EQ'd towards my subjectively preferred FR response (what sounded good to me) and the headphones started to sound more similarly balanced as a result.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #20 of 531
Quote:
graphs are nothing, listening is everything.

+1 

Like a car with impressive dyno numbers, but has no grip on the road.
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #21 of 531
So how do they sound monkeybouylee?

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #22 of 531
Quote:
Here's a review on them. 

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/12/19/review-yamaha-pro-500-headphone

Did the Mayan calender prophecies indicate the world would be coming to an end or just slowly eradicated by bass-bloated headphones? 
frown.gif

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #23 of 531
Quote:

Did the Mayan calender prophecies indicate the world would be coming to an end or just slowly eradicated by bass-bloated headphones? 
frown.gif

Seems like it - it's depressing actually.. I can't seem to find a worthy upgrade to my Audio Technica M50's that doesn't have a sound problem, looks problem, or build problem.

It seems like I have to have 2 of them and miss out on one - no matter what headphone I choose.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #24 of 531
You forgot the "All Seeing Eye" in the middle of the Pyramid :D
Quote:
Seems like it - it's depressing actually.. I can't seem to find a worthy upgrade to my Audio Technica M50's that doesn't have a sound problem, looks problem, or build problem.

It seems like I have to have 2 of them and miss out on one - no matter what headphone I choose.

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #25 of 531
Santa just delivered these babies to me!

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #27 of 531
Quote:
Here's a review on them. 

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/12/19/review-yamaha-pro-500-headphone

I used to be a Sound and Vision subscriber in the past.  None of their reviews are very objective, so they really don't provide an honest view that will serve of value to the readers. We all love to see positive reviews for the products we own, or for those we are seeking out - which we most likely desire the validation perspective in such reviews.  Then again, I haven't let a bad review completely deter myself from making a purchase, either.  I've found that there are times when a reviewer's opinion and mine don't exactly match up.

With that said, I like Yamaha as a brand, and have their components in my home audio systems.  I just wish they didn't hop on the "Beats" design philosophy so quickly.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #28 of 531
Unfortunately that cherry has been popped... and Im not the great un-boxer that you are HiFiGuy! :p

Ill see what I can do with the resources I have.

I have the racing blue version.

I havent opened that many headphone boxes in the past. This was a bit ordinary. The headphones feel plasticky, the headband "cushion" is rubbery. When I opened the D600 box, I was thinking "luxury". These are more "lets roll", they are more toy like. The ear cushions and area inside the cushion is a lot smaller than the Denons too.

Yah, to sum up, you feel like the Denons are worth the cash, the PRO500s not so much.

Quote:
Unboxing please.... Is it sexy in person?

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #29 of 531
Maye Beagle can do an unboxing and a review? 
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #30 of 531
okay, here is my amateur opening video. There is no voice over sorry.

Keep in mind I had already opened this box and removed a lot of the packing materials (pieces of paper, plastic, foam etc).

One thing I dont like is the ribbon thin 3m long cable. It does not say "audiophile" to me. The Denon's also have 2 cables, one portable and one much thicker for home listening.

Overall, looks & comfort wise the Denons win. Both headphones have been described as "beats rip offs". IF the Denon's ripped off Beats, they did an awesome "luxury" version. Yamaha did not aim that high.

The Yamahas are louder at the some volume level than the Denons.

I dont want to get into sound as its too early and I'm an amateur. So after some more burning in and getting used to these I will do some personal comparisons. I already have some observations, but I dont want to affect what other people will expect when they listen to these.

edit: both headphones fit my head without having to extend the headband at all.

edit2: i can see why Yamaha designed them this way, by being more "generic" they will be more acceptable when you take them outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back