Yamaha HPH-Pro 500 Review
Nov 20, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #121 of 139
V-shape doesn't bother me too bad as long as the treble isn't too overdone to piercing levels at high volumes. I often listen at high volume levels, so super intense treble can get annoying over time. 

Well thats good news as far as the bass goes, as I really like headphones with bass that will shake my noggin. That was why I purchased the Pro 500's in the first place, as I had read that they were great bass cans. It came as a pleasant surprise that they also sounded great overall, along with having the promised slamming bass. And even though strong sub bass is my preference, I still like my headphones to sound good overall. For example, I also own the JVC SZ2000's, which I purchased because they are the king cans of bass. And while that is true, I actually still prefer my 500's over them because the 500's sound so much better overall. And honestly, with lots of power the 500's hit 90% as hard as the SZ2K's. They just do it while sounding MUCH better in both the mids and highs. 

Sounds like I'll keep the Fostex on my radar then, really depends how big of a difference the new pads make. No matter what I will keep my 500's, since they can also be used on the go since they are so easy to drive. I do amp them with a Fiio E12, which will become my dedicated portable kit. I will be upgrading to an iFi iDSD Micro very soon for use with my desktop, which shouldn't have trouble powering anything I may buy in the future, including the Fostex. 

And thank you for taking the time to respond to me, I have been VERY curious as to how they compare. In your opinion, which set do you prefer overall and why?

Nov 20, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #122 of 139
And thank you for taking the time to respond to me, I have been VERY curious as to how they compare. In your opinion, which set do you prefer overall and why?

In absolute terms, I prefer my E-mu Teak a bit more. With the Audeze Vegan pads, it is the most comfortable to wear out of ALL my headphones, the weight completely disappear on my head. And the Teak cups give a nice reverb to the sound which I love for long hour, non fatigue listening. With the Audeze  Vegan pads, its bass subdue quite a bit though.

The Pro500 is my headphone of choice for portable use. I can use it with my phone and Skype call, it gives good sound isolation with still very good sound quality.

Now I have the T5p, and it will be my "transportable" headphone of choice.

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #124 of 139

​Hi, I have the pro500's and like them alot but I am interested in the replacement pads that you mentioned on Amazon.  They unfortunately will not ship to Australia.  Do you know of a seller on ebay that sells the same pads?  I can see ones on there but not sure if they are the same.  Cheers.

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #125 of 139
aha!  found them, no problem on ebay.  Cheers for the information on these and that they fit.

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #126 of 139
Just wanted to let everyone know that the Razer pads definitely changed the sound signature of the 500's. The new pads really made them "darker" sounding, as they seem to muddy up the treble on them. They have lost their extra crisp, punchy treble. I've tried to fix them via EQ but haven't had much luck.

On the positive side of things the pads really made a huge difference in comfort. I can now wear them for hours without issue. Unfortunately the original pads were glued on and tore when removing them, so I had to toss them.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #127 of 139
Just wanted to let everyone know that the Razer pads definitely changed the sound signature of the 500's. The new pads really made them "darker" sounding, as they seem to muddy up the treble on them. They have lost their extra crisp, punchy treble. I've tried to fix them via EQ but haven't had much luck.

On the positive side of things the pads really made a huge difference in comfort. I can now wear them for hours without issue. Unfortunately the original pads were glued on and tore when removing them, so I had to toss them.

You may try cutting out the original fabric on your Razer pads and replace with thinner, gauze type fabric or sponge sheet.

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #128 of 139

​That is strange.  The pads on my pro500's came off really easy.  The spin well and there is a good gap for the pad edge to slip into.  Also, the pleather pad edge is sewn around the edges to give it more strength.  Just pulled the OEM pads off and on then - very easy.  Hopefully the razor pads come soon and I can have a play around with them and let you know what I think.

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #129 of 139
Well, the razor pads came........Sigh, you were right.  They made a sound difference that I consider to be detrimental unfortunately.  They are more comfortable than the original pads but the bass becomes a little bloated and 'wooly'.  Stuck them on my denon hp700's.....more comfortable but they still take away some of the mid-range and treble energy that I like.

Oh well, cheap mistake.

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #130 of 139
On open box the first thing that hit me was a ton of bass, I was O_O

So you're saying they were booming out some low notes before even getting hooked up to a source? Impressive. That *IS* some serious bass boost then, if they what, use the earth's magnetic field as a low-pass filter to pick the lowest frequencies out of the cosmic microwave background?

Yamaha should really think about using this stuff in promotional materials more often. "Yamaha Pro 500: hear the Big Bang the way it's MEANT to be heard!", or "Yamaha: headphones fit for a minor diety, but priced for a human."

May 11, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #131 of 139
I just picked up some used Pro 500s from another head-fi member about two weeks ago and feel the need to comment here. They sound powerful no matter what source I use but when hooked up to my Violectric DAC and amp, they really get kicked up another level. The first week or so I was impressed but did find them a bit fatiguing after an hour or so. However, now that I've gotten more used to them I'm starting to think, other than anything acoustic, I will use these as my daily driver. Great for metal and electronic music. Yeah, they look ridiculous (very similar to the Yamaha R6 sportbike I used to ride 10 years ago) and could be more comfortable but they kick so much ass that it's all worth it.

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #132 of 139
I'll add my 2 cents with the pro 500's.
Finally a bass headphone that doesn't sound like butt. Mids a little thick and recessed but highs are just the right amount of bright with actual audible yes it is there detail. Bass is incredible. Thunk. Bump. N'Boom. Without being muddy or boomY. They are huge and clamp like the jaws of life. But I stretched them out over a few days on my nightstand drawer. Pads are very nice for headphones 1/3 their size. Replaced them with Brainwavz round sheepskin pads much better imo. They do lose some warm/magicy/fun (whatever you want to call it) with them, just a little, but the comfort is extremely worth. Bass is more punchy and soundstage is a whole lot better. Mainly cause they actually sit perpendicular with my ear instead of sliding back like the stock ones do.
I do worry about there durability. Like if you drop/crush/sit/sneeze/lookatwrong they'll snap
I actually really like how they look. And the stock cables are nice.
Thank you

Oct 14, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #133 of 139
Spending more time with the AKG K540 fabric pads: a bit less bass, a bit more treble, more spacious sound. A more balanced sound for indoor listening. No No for outdoor listening as K540 pads isolate very little.
Pro500 K540 pads0001.JPG

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #134 of 139
Well well well. I bought a pair of round sheepskin brainwavz pads and what do you know? Much improved! Far better than the original pads or razor pads, and the comfort...my oh my. I am using these a lot more now due to the comfort and bass! Still not overwhelming, just there when you need it. Loving these can still after all these years.

May 4, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #135 of 139

Users who are viewing this thread

Back