Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Jul 2, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,291 of 3,295
U guys are great defenders of a superb can, with all the battle bruises to show....
Now let's put on some music n jive bros!!

If I am on a tight budget n have humble gears to start with, this Yammie would be my choice to start with....

Sad fact is.....even with better gears, this yammie is by my side each nite...
my other cans are freezed out in the storeroom, hmmm this is not right LOL.

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #1,293 of 3,295
HPH-MT120%2010.JPG
HPH-MT120%209.JPG

Found photos on line of the the MT220 (black) and MT120 (white)

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #1,294 of 3,295
Oh weird, I thought these things were on the way out, just discontinuing the old color? That's cool, should be priced the same since these remain obscure for some reason. I hope they don't think the color is the only thing wrong with them stock though, has anyone there worn the stock pads? Cable doesn't look removable either but, more supply out there is cool. I prefer the tint of blue though, adds a lil character to them.

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #1,297 of 3,295
Got the MT220 today and straight out of the box they sound better than expected as I could listen to them without any problem.

Yes more sub bass than the HPH200, good mids and decent top end.

Yes also I would expect the soundstage and top end to open up with burn-in.

Will burn-in continuously at low volume over night etc. for at least 48 hours and expect them to sound better.

BTW, I am using the Hidizs AP100 DAP and Geek-Out 450 USB-DAC which are my favourite after owning many others in the last 6 months.

I paid £100 and I believe can be bought for $140 US (for the MT220).

Will update in a few days.

Thanks Guys!

AC/DC - Thunderstruck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM

AC/DC - Back in Black

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAgnJDJN4VA

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #1,298 of 3,295
Edited that messy mod guide above, very easy and has a dramatic effect on the whole presentation of the headphone, not just the soundstage surprisingly. Much smoother sound overall.

edit: I think I'm just gonna wait until I figure out what I'm doing before I post about what to do I think. Angling the driver up towards you seems like a good idea though.

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #1,299 of 3,295
Lightman hit the floor runnnnning ;p

Eva Cassidy is singing in super 3D, Fields of Gold...never quite HEARD it like this;
just after  Diana Krall sat in my living room n sang to me.  :p

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #1,301 of 3,295
velors tend to absorb some reflections on the inner walls...less hall-ish effect, 
a more studio deaden " inert" kind of sound...and there are no absolutes,
u can tune it to a degree that fits your taste...
i could use Foam stuffings on velors, ( to add more "reflections")
or cotton stuffings on pleathers ( to lessen reflections )
tuning it until i get a WOW thats GREAT kind of sensation.

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #1,302 of 3,295
The velor hm5 pads I have kill the bass and ruin the presentation, but I don't have the angled pair.

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #1,303 of 3,295
  velors tend to absorb some reflections on the inner walls...less hall-ish effect, 
a more studio deaden " inert" kind of sound...and there are no absolutes,
u can tune it to a degree that fits your taste...
i could use Foam stuffings on velors, ( to add more "reflections")
or cotton stuffings on pleathers ( to lessen reflections )
tuning it until i get a WOW thats GREAT kind of sensation

I am also looking forward to experimenting after burn-in time (at least 100 hours) and will give my feedback.

I notice when I compress the pleather pads while on my head, it alters the sound, to be noticeably different.

The stock pads are better than I was expecting and the cable not too much of a problem with a DAP on the move. I will probably secure some of the excess cable with bands etc.

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #1,305 of 3,295
This is the Ghost-Dracula-Mod, so titled because it makes the headphone sound transparent and seems to remove all reflections. It very dramatically improves overall sound quality, gives a very clear holographic soundstage, and makes the headphone very neutral and true to the components feeding it. 

So to understand the ultimate problem of this headphone and perhaps all the others that use this pad, run your fingers over where the baffle holes are on the bottom and top. There's a nice space between the holes and the pads and your heads far away, cept for one thing. Press down on the pad with your hand to simulate how it looks during actual use, the pads eat up the space and, while not closing the vents off, do suffocate them.

My mod started as an attempt to improve on lorspeakers thing with the gauze on the side. I had trouble with it and figured cotton balls would be close enough and easier and I jammed two into each side. Enough that it wasn't touching the holes and held up the left side of each cup. I assumed what I was hearing was mildly improved soundstage from the angle but I didn't realize part of what was going on was i was lifting the pad further from the vent holes, I think this largely explains the sound difference in this mod. I started jamming cotton all over, I even did them in all 4 corners but I guess I didn't use enough. Here's what I've settled on:

1. You need the brainwavz pleather memory foam pads, I guess, maybe you don't, but I used those, so go to amazon they're like 20 bucks. Get some cotton, whatever kind. you're gonna rip it off and roll it up into a little, tightly compacted ball. Fortunately there's a sizing reference right on the headphones:

Should just barely fit in that circle, this one's a bit too big, so just rip a lil off and roll it up again until its right.

2. Place one in each corner of the headphone and one in the middle, squish em to the lining of the pad and make sure they're giving enough resistance that when you press down on the pad they hold the pad a good distance off holes.

3. Press your hand on the pad all over and poke over where cotton is. Now look straight down at it:

Do you see what's wrong? In the lower right there's a lil bit sticking out, that matters. The pad overhang starts where the hole ends, so any overflow is gonna effect the magical sound holes.

4. That's it.

Gonna just find stuff on youtube and say how it sounds, through fiio x3-II.

Very delicate liquidy chimes, sound real. Violin hits, sounds like a violin, that seems like a good thing. Guitar's sound even more murderous and menacing than usual, great contrast from the other instruments. The reproduction is as effortless as the perfomance (that's cliche writing but it's true!). Sounds just sorta erupt out in this, I'd say it imparts a liquid smooth character on everything while maintaining tonal accuracy and realism. In my experience it will just sort of impart the character of the amp. The brilliance of cymbals is something like I've never heard, I originally thought it was a coloration since I'm so used to them either sounding muted or excessive. The birdcall at like 5:30 actually sounds like a bird, must be a real good one or Jamie Muir is really good at birdcall.

Switching gears a bit I've always thought this album was really well recorded but it's always a little too much for my headphones to keep up, but not now. The atmosphere of the guitars is wonderful, the strumming is clearly defined all instruments can be focused on independently of one another and operate in 3d space. Impact, atmosphere and most impressively there is no harshness at all. The guitars are soft and atmospheric and don't sound in your face or aggressive, which I believe is the intention, tho again I think my player is imparting this facet to some degree, I'm sure other people will chime in with how their setup sounds.

So ya stick 12 cotton balls under the earpad of the headphone and the ancient m50 driver sounds amazing, weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back