Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Sep 19, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #2,072 of 3,295
few days ago i bought AudioQuest Carbon USB cable and from all the headphones i have listened while i was trying out new cable , mt220 scaled least , almost no difference to the sound except subtle little stuff , nothing worth mention.

DT150 scaled a lot  and t5p took things even father...

All that made me curious about AudioQuest cables so i went back to the store and got a higher end signal cables and digital cables

Audioquest Colorado RCA and AudioQuest VDM5 Coax digital

got home , turned off mobile phone , made a cup of capuchino and spend all day listening...

My impressions with mt220 were surprising , i heard sonic changes but not to bore you with technical stuff i will just say that mt220 felt out of place , it doesn't belong in a high end system.
A smooth and liquid with effortless dynamic mt220 in a high end system sound clumsy , brutal , and primitive.  Boring and confused ... i was very surprised by that.

mt220 sound best when not pushed to its limits , a midfi or hifi system or an iPad is awesome combination with mt220 and brings lot of musical enjoyment! Bot its not a headphone for high end systems , in my opinion...

A DT150 felt comfortable in a high end system,  voices were unreal , sometimes i was hypnotized by a few singers ...

And once again , t5p took things on a whole new level , clarity, detail ,soundstage and its depth , layering , separation between musical instruments , and breathtaking transparency ......all is amazing!

I still think mt220 is a good headphone )

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #2,073 of 3,295
  How bright/harsh-in-the-highs are these HPs?

At this rate, I think one of us is just gonna buy one for you.
cool.gif

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #2,074 of 3,295

At this rate, I think one of us is just gonna buy one for you.
cool.gif

Well, I was going to get one, but I can't find a reliable return policy so....

I like the pios a bit, except for how much it makes my ears bleed....  It also feels like something is missing with the sound, regardless of the setting I pick.  I'm going to grab that Aune T1 most likely, and maybe that will work, except I'm returning the headphones, so not sure if I will get to hear the PIos on the Aune or not...

Sad days :frowning2: :p

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #2,075 of 3,295
  How bright/harsh-in-the-highs are these HPs?

If the Pioneers are too harsh in the treble for you, I think the Yamaha's will be a bit harsh in the mids and high-mids.

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #2,077 of 3,295

Amazon has a very reliable return policy.

The problem with that is, that only happens if it's "Fulfilled by Amazon" or "Shipped and sold from Amazon."

This ships and sells from each of the sellers themselves.

Each of them have weird policies.  I'm looking at this one "AVL Gear" it's return policy has a clause for "Sanitation fee" and they wil charge 50% for the fee.

They said it could be up to, for certain items, but "personal care items" are 50%.. Lmao wut...?

Exceptions: 
Select items are not covered under our standard return policy:
•    Earphones, in-ear monitors, microphones and other personal gears needing sanitation will incur a 50% sanitation fee**

Additionally, earphones, in-ear monitors, microphones and other specified personal gears needing sanitation will incur a 50% sanitation fee**

Any personal gears needing sanitation will incur a 50% sanitation fee**.

Meh wish I got the ones from B&H >(((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #2,078 of 3,295
I never knew that about Amazon, I've always returned everything and gotten refunds without question. Hell, I've returned headphones without the original packaging and just tossed them in a random box. No questions, refund. Just recently my Audioquest Dragonfly died and I had lost the box. I put it in a jewelry box, Amazon picked it up, no problem. Refund. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #2,079 of 3,295
  I never knew that about Amazon, I've always returned everything and gotten refunds without question. Hell, I've returned headphones without the original packaging and just tossed them in a random box. No questions, refund. Just recently my Audioquest Dragonfly died and I had lost the box. I put it in a jewelry box, Amazon picked it up, no problem. Refund. 

Dying and just returns are different, but yeah, you need to check where it's being bought from.  It's right on top, with the item description.

Since it's discontinued, only a few places have it.  If Amazon sold it themselves, they would pick it back up np most likely, but maybe there are other rules about it...

Headphones though...?  I guess sanitation with hair maybe?  Skin/ears? lol

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #2,080 of 3,295
  The problem with that is, that only happens if it's "Fulfilled by Amazon" or "Shipped and sold from Amazon."

This ships and sells from each of the sellers themselves.

Each of them have weird policies.  I'm looking at this one "AVL Gear" it's return policy has a clause for "Sanitation fee" and they wil charge 50% for the fee.

They said it could be up to, for certain items, but "personal care items" are 50%.. Lmao wut...?

Meh wish I got the ones from B&H >(((((((((((((((((((((((((((

I believe the rule is that all third party Amazon sellers' return policies must match or exceed Amazon's default return policy. Amazon themselves will probably help you out in case of any problems. I would ask them about it if you're worried. But I've personally never encountered any issues with any headphones, man.

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #2,081 of 3,295
  I believe the rule is that all third party Amazon sellers' return policies must match or exceed Amazon's default return policy. Amazon themselves will probably help you out in case of any problems. I would ask them about it if you're worried. But I've personally never encountered any issues with any headphones, man.

Come to think of it, I bought my girlfriend a Lumia 930 unlocked phone from Amazon that went bad and returned it without the box. No problem, refund. When I tried to buy it again I noticed it and at least 10 other Lumia 930's said "No Warranty"

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #2,082 of 3,295

Yeah, the situation for your purchases were most likely fulfilled by Amazon.  A lot of times people go for the "Prime" choices which ships and sells from Amazon, and usually other times it's fulfilled.  Rarely is it not fulfilled, and this is one of those cases.  I have contacted them before about returns, and one time it was just mentioned this is the case.  The return policy sometimes talks about Amazon, but I think that's on a case by case basis.

For example

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TCV9I10?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A288K1LN6Q00EF

Customers get Amazon's trusted customer service and returns.

FBA handles customer service and returns for Amazon.com orders. Listings are displayed with the Prime logo, so customers know that packing, delivery, customer service, and returns are all handled by Amazon.

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #2,083 of 3,295
  Come to think of it, I bought my girlfriend a Lumia 930 unlocked phone from Amazon that went bad and returned it without the box. No problem, refund. When I tried to buy it again I noticed it and at least 10 other Lumia 930's said "No Warranty"

Yeah, the situation for your purchases were most likely fulfilled by Amazon.  A lot of times people go for the "Prime" choices which ships and sells from Amazon, and usually other times it's fulfilled.  Rarely is it not fulfilled, and this is one of those cases.  I have contacted them before about returns, and one time it was just mentioned this is the case.  The return policy sometimes talks about Amazon, but I think that's on a case by case basis.

...Of course, I could be wrong. I only researched this for a few minutes. But the return policies I clicked on for the MT220 sellers looked reasonable.

Anywho...I say just buy it!

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #2,084 of 3,295
i tend to find silverplatedcopper cable slightly brittle/aggressive (vs silver or copper)
but it could judiciously fit into gears/cans that are cooler sounding, or lacking bite. 
one just have to tune the whole $$setup to one's taste...trial n error..
from one end ..................................to the other end.  Fascinating hobby.

T5p comes alive on the ipad.too :p

...or when rewired into balanced. heard a pair of such, almost bot a pair...but $topped myself. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #2,085 of 3,295

That explains it. I'm a prime member and I never order a non-Prime item. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back